Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 03:47 PM

1,262 posts, read 664,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
trying to make a tuna salad but want mayo that is oil & sugar free.

I don't want canola, soy, or avocado.. just oil free.

is that a pipe dream?

food sensitivity has demanded no oils or very minute (my-noot) amounts.

Any suggestions that are not homemade?

Thanks
Why would the OP post this in the recipe section if he/she does not want anything homemade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 06:40 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I grew up eating tuna with a little white vinegar and maybe a slice of onion. I never even heard of mayo until I was in my 20s.
Same here. I grew up Italian and never even tasted mayo until I was a teenager. It wasn't part of the foods we ate. For us, a tuna sandwich meant it was seasoned with a little bit of vinegar and pepper. That was it and it was very good. We didn't know to make it any other way.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Mayo by definition has oil... it is an emulsion. By making it yourself, you can control the other ingredients. You can prepare a tuna salad of your liking with or without mayo, though. It just won't be the traditional creamy tuna salad if not mayo-based.

Overall, though, it seems like a fatty fish like tuna is a poor choice for a person who must avoid oils.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:26 PM

5,645 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love mayo but when I was out of it one day (gasp!!!), I made tuna salad using a ripe avocado. It was delicious.
Oooooooh I am going to try this SOON!

I often add cayenne to my tuna salad and I'm thinkg a wicked tex mex tuna salad coming on!

Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 AM

923 posts, read 525,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
trying to make a tuna salad but want mayo that is oil & sugar free.

I don't want canola, soy, or avocado.. just oil free.

is that a pipe dream?

food sensitivity has demanded no oils or very minute (my-noot) amounts.

Any suggestions that are not homemade?

Thanks
Pipe dream, Frankrj. How about a tuna steak sliced thin on a lettuce salad with lemon juice.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:31 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
It is impossible to avoid oil if you are eating tuna, which has fish oil.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:35 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I use sour cream, salt and white pepper. It's delicious.

Why add sugar to tuna salad??? (Post #4)

Old 11-09-2019, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I love mayo but when I was out of it one day (gasp!!!), I made tuna salad using a ripe avocado. It was delicious.
Wow, would never had thought of that. I am almost addicted to mayo and only one or two brands. So to me, other than maybe something like you tried, there is no way one can have tuna salad without mayo. As for running out, sometimes spoiled brat teases me by informing me we are down to our last 3 jars, time to get more mayo darling.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wow, would never had thought of that. I am almost addicted to mayo and only one or two brands. So to me, other than maybe something like you tried, there is no way one can have tuna salad without mayo. As for running out, sometimes spoiled brat teases me by informing me we are down to our last 3 jars, time to get more mayo darling.
Hahaha! I hear you (and your brat), sister! Someone earlier in the thread reminded me about chicken salad -- I've done that too, with avocado, and that's FABULOUS because chicken is bland so you really taste the avocado.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Same here. I grew up Italian and never even tasted mayo until I was a teenager. It wasn't part of the foods we ate. For us, a tuna sandwich meant it was seasoned with a little bit of vinegar and pepper. That was it and it was very good. We didn't know to make it any other way.
I was going to suggest making an oil free vinaigrette for it with just vinegar and herbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes