Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Do a spinach salad. Those are delicious and always a big hit. You can never go wrong with a bacon salad dressing.

Green. I immediately thought of that green jello salad made with fruit cocktail. I'm not recommending.
Jello salad is so 50s and 60s but oh how we enjoyed it in those days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 12:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 733,874 times
Make a Waldorf Salad, only splurge with extra nuts (you can make it better by actually pan roasting the walnuts in a tad of butter with garlic) and add some dried cranberries. Roasted pecans are also a nice addition. Up the apple game by choosing a sweet apple and tart apples

Good choices (the following do not brown easily, otherwise dip in lemon juice diluted with water):

Non browning apples:

Cameo (sweet-tart)
Gala (Sweet)
Ambrosia (mild sweetness)
SnowSweet (sweet)
Cortland (sweet with a little tart)
Shizuka (mildy sweet with a hint of tart)
Goldrush (tart)
Empire (sweet with a nudge of tart)

I would avoid the Arctic apple, though it was genetically engineered for this purpose.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:48 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
This looks like an attractive and tasty Thanksgiving slaw and it says it can be dressed ahead of time without going wilty:

https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-tha...ng-slaw-237475

Old 11-23-2019, 04:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAndrewJackson View Post
Make a Waldorf Salad, only splurge with extra nuts (you can make it better by actually pan roasting the walnuts in a tad of butter with garlic) and add some dried cranberries. Roasted pecans are also a nice addition. Up the apple game by choosing a sweet apple and tart apples

Good choices (the following do not brown easily, otherwise dip in lemon juice diluted with water):

Non browning apples:

Cameo (sweet-tart)
Gala (Sweet)
Ambrosia (mild sweetness)
SnowSweet (sweet)
Cortland (sweet with a little tart)
Shizuka (mildy sweet with a hint of tart)
Goldrush (tart)
Empire (sweet with a nudge of tart)

I would avoid the Arctic apple, though it was genetically engineered for this purpose.
I find honeycrisp apples (my favorite) do not brown quickly and are a great Waldorf choice.

A nice Waldorf salad addition is cubes of sharp cheddar.

Old 11-23-2019, 09:09 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
Wow, so many good ideas, I was just drawing a blank. I can always count on you guys. Thank you!

Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 PM

513 posts, read 541,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I’m going to a potluck for Thanksgiving...lots of people of all ages & backgrounds many children, lots of food. That’s why I decided on salad, to balance out all the traditional dishes.

With the Romaine lettuce scare, I’m kind of at a loss, as that was going to be my base.

I’m not feeling real creative lately because of health issues that make a lot of foods not sound very good to me. I could look for something on the internet, but don’t want to sift through all the narrative on recipe blogs, videos, etc.

Any ideas for a green, winter-type salad? No Watergate-type salads, even though it’s yummy. Thanks in advance.

Curious, what is a Watergate-type salad??

Old 11-24-2019, 10:14 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Off topic, but irresistible to answer.

It's like a whipped cream or mousse-based salad. If I remember correctly it has a small box of instant pistachio pudding, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip and diced maraschino cherries. Nuts? Red and green for the holidays.

For some reason this blend is addictive. It was very popular in the Seventies and handy for working women.

I have a similar one without the pudding that gets raves: canned sour cherries, drained, pecan pieces, crushed pineapple, Cool Whip and sweetened condensed milk.

My favorite is from my mom before people started using artificial ingredients. Finely ground cranberries, sugar, crushed pineapple and real whipped cream.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:58 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
Was at my bookclub yesterday and the hostess served a Costco salad that was a winter mix of cabbage, kale, sliced raw brussel sprouts, dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds and served with a creamy poppyseed dressing. It was really yummy and I pigged out on it.

Here's a copycat recipe for it, if you aren't near or don't belong to a Costco: https://www.perrysplate.com/2016/08/...o-copycat.html

Old 11-24-2019, 03:23 PM

2,503 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Do a spinach salad. Those are delicious and always a big hit. You can never go wrong with a bacon salad dressing.

Green. I immediately thought of that green jello salad made with fruit cocktail. I'm not recommending.

Gosh, I'd forgotten all abt spinach salad. We used to have them quite a bit for a holiday salad.
There were quite popular back in the day...1980s i want to say.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Festive Winter Slaw

Arrange in layers in a glass bowl or platter: bottom layer is shredded cabbage. Then add a smaller layer of shredded carrot. Over this, add a layer of chopped red apple. Then scatter chopped walnuts over all. Last, add pomegranate seeds over top of all. Dress with vinaigrette made of good olive oil and your favorite vinegar. (I like white balsamic)

This adds clear fresh tastes to a table full of flesh and starch.

You can also garnish with parsley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes