Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellacatahoula View Post
Hey Mike, when something works for us, keep it up!
There was an old adage that made sense as far as burning off calories throughout the day. Most people eat about 50% or more, of their caloric intake at dinner when we are least likely to burn many cals until the next day. Here's a take on that adage...

For breakfast... eat like a king
For lunch.......... eat like a prince
For dinner......... eat like a pauper
I've heard that adage, and I agree. Usually, my 'dinner' is just a glass of low fat chocolate milk. Breakfast and lunch are my two big meals of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 07:24 PM

21,909 posts, read 9,483,127 times
Usually a small apple with some almond butter. Sometime a piece of whole grain toast with almond butter and some banana slices. 1/2 cup coffee.

Old 01-12-2020, 07:58 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
A cup of a single-origin Costa Rican, followed by a cup of a single-origin Ethiopian.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:01 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Breakfast burrito extra habanero hot sauce.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:39 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
I take breakfast seriously. That started as an adult, guessing in my 30s or so, until then I could wing it with a donut and coffee or whatnot. Nuh uh, not any more.

If I go too many carbs, I feel 1) way-acidic and 2) like general (pooh). I mean like "bleeeeeeaaahhh...!" just "not good." So: I must have protein.

For years, my go-to has been: 1) two egg McMuffin or croissant style sandwiches and about 12 oz coffee, maybe as much as 16oz, w/room for cream or milk. That is "most" common. Two eggs, two sausage, a little cheese, two muffins. Maybe a hash brown. McDonald's does a decent to excellent job at this, though it's expensive (about ten bucks in this tax hell of a state). 2) scrambled eggs (2x), bacon or sausage (normal portion), taters or (preferably) fruit. Your basic sit-down counter breakfast. Cheaper, usually, though not always. Coffee as above. Quality matters, I can afford not to eat ghetto food.

McDonald's Big Breakfast w/Hotcakes is a bargain, though a lot of food. I often freeze the hotcakes. Leftovers up to a week later are good. 1x/week, I'd say.

I need that protein, period end of story. The coffee is needed, I'm an addict I'm sure and so what , I don't do much caffeine each day (1-2 8oz portions of coffee, one 16oz diet soda for lunch, that's that).

3) 1 cup Quaker oatmeal, which is a lot of goodness, w/fruit, cinnamon, and some milk. I keep frozen berries by the bag in my freezer. I am blessed with a microwave that nails the Quaker oats in a bowl thing, auto-cook, in about 6 min. To the minute, that's how long it takes my French Press coffee brew, too, so it works out. Maybe a slice of toast with peanut butter with it. Need that fat, I "will" feel sick not-right otherwise.

4) I've weaned off cereal, though I'll come back to it. Again, need that fat/protein shot with it, maybe yogurt with some peanut butter alongside.

What I don't do: pancakes with no protein, see how I started this response.

I eat a human size lunch and dinner. I have a weight problem that I try to mitigate with hard exercise, so don't take that as the "ideal" way to handle life...but it works for me, when I must commute to an office as-well since the above breakfast can be 20 min - half hour which fits in well with my morning routine.

Old 01-13-2020, 02:45 AM

236 posts, read 195,469 times
Sauteed garlic with green onions over top of scrambled eggs and some grated cheddar. And a tall coffee.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:09 AM

385 posts, read 205,395 times
Steel cut oats with nuts, cinnamon, blueberries, and a little something sweet added. A cup of coffee with caramel cream and Stevia.l

Or,

Avocado toast with a fried egg and a slice of tomato on top. Good ole cup a Joe.

I cook the sco before and place in individual serving containers. Take one out, heat it up, add the goodies and enjoy.

My fave breakfast meal is over-medium eggs, crisp bacon, pimento cheese grits or skillet onion and potatoes with fresh fruit. Sometimes some pecan waffles or buttermilk pancakes. Also a glass of chilled orange juice.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:33 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Most mornings I have Ezekiel cereal with at least two different kinds of berries, usually strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries; sometimes a banana also. Occasionally I'll have steel cut oats with butter, salt & milk. Once in a while a bialy. When my granddaughter is over for the weekend I may make French toast or homemade buttermilk pancakes with bacon.

I can't eat breakfast until I've been up a couple of hours. One of the perks of working from home. I have my coffee or hot tea, then breakfast later. I don't know how some of you eat these huge breakfasts; the only way I could do that is if I didn't eat until I've been up for about 3 or 4 hours.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:37 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
scrambled eggs/toast/milk OR special K cereal

Old 01-13-2020, 10:15 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
If I eat breakfast at all, which is rare because it puts weight on me, I like a generic brand of Cheerios w/skim milk & maybe part of a banana. In winter I like oatmeal w/cinnamon.

Occasionally I'd have Shredded Wheat or Grapenuts (2 cereals w/absolutely no sugar in ingredients).

But I usu. don't eat breakfast. I never was much a breakfast eater, and more so now. I just can't eat that many calories on any given day w/o gaining weight, so if I eat a few hundred calories at breakfast, that means I can't have a decent lunch. (I eat a very light dinner in the evening.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes