Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 05:57 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times

Advertisements

Rainy day yesterday and I did not feel like going to market.
I found a couple of chicken thighs in the freezer and a quick raid on the pantry yielded a 6 oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts and a 6oz jar of pitted green olives with sun dried tomatoes. Grabbed a bag of rice and did this:

Brown the chicken over medium high heat until skin is brown and crisp. Remove to plate. S&P both sides.
Add 1 1/2 cups warmed chicken broth to pan. Turn off heat. Add 3/4 cup (uncooked) white rice and stir a bit.
Sprinkle with Emeril's essence (any Greek or Italian spice/herb blend would work) and return chicken to pan.
Place drained artichokes and about 1/2 cup olives with sun dried tomatoes around chicken.
Cover and place in 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit covered 5 minutes prior to serving.

Enough for 2, easy clean up and easy prep. I will definitely do it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 11:52 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
That ain't my grandpa's chicken!

Sounds very good, grampa Tom. I'd want to fry up some breaded eggplant to serve it over.

Isn't it fun to dig through the pantry and see what you can discover?

Old 01-19-2020, 11:54 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Ooooh this all does sound good. Thanks for sharing!

Old 01-30-2020, 11:42 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
I made this for lunch today. It was great! Thanks for the inspiration.

I did make a few changes, such as using boneless, skinless breasts because that's what I had on hand. I also used yellow rice instead of white and I added some onions as well. But, at its heart, my dish was still one pot chicken and rice with artichokes and olives.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:44 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I'll be making this soon.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I made this for lunch today. It was great! Thanks for the inspiration.

I did make a few changes, such as using boneless, skinless breasts because that's what I had on hand. I also used yellow rice instead of white and I added some onions as well. But, at its heart, my dish was still one pot chicken and rice with artichokes and olives.
Recipes are just suggestions -- there are many ways to make it. I love the yellow rice variation.
Glad you liked it!!

Old 01-31-2020, 11:48 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Some of us cook a lot of Mediterranean style dishes. It's rare for me to have the ingredients on hand other than the oregano I grow myself. Seems we eat those things as fast as we buy them!

The flavors and scents are so fresh and a little exotic for someone from Minnesota so they are special to me. Not many Mediterranean people settled in my area. As a kid I remember my mom talking about the first Greek salad she ever ate and how wonderful it was to her.

When my kids were in their early teens I remember driving the ninety miles to Minneapolis so they and a few of their friends could enjoy Greek meals at a restaurant called, "It's Greek to Me." We'd order a variety of dishes and share to get a good tasting experience.

Extra bonus - it's supposed to be good for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes