U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 01:27 PM

1,081 posts, read 276,092 times

Advertisements

Even with the amount of chipotles called for, I don't think this is spicy, but amount could be adjusted up or down to taste. We've been making this from time to time for years.

BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI

6 Tbsp olive oil
One 12-oz onion coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1 large yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped, can use red or orange
1-1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds
4 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies
2-4 garlic cloves (to taste), chopped fine
Three 15-oz cans black beans, well drained
Two 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, add a little extra garlic if you can only find plain tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and cumin seeds. Saute until onion is soft and golden, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chipotles and garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, and vegetable broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Transfer 2 cups of chili to blender or processor. Blend to coarse paste, return to pot. Simmer chili to thicken as desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Last edited by Medtran49; 02-18-2020 at 02:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 01:32 PM

5,968 posts, read 1,617,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Even with the amount of chipotles called for, I don't think this is spicy, but amount could be adjusted up or down to taste. We've been making this from time to time for years.

BLACK BEAN, YELLOW PEPPER, AND CUMIN CHILI

6 Tbsp olive oil
One 12-oz onion coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1 large yellow bell pepper, coarsely chopped, can use red or orange
1-1/2 Tbsp cumin seeds
4 tsp minced canned chipotle chilies
2-4 garlic cloves (to taste), chopped fine
Three 15-oz cans black beans, well drained
Two 14-1/2 oz cans diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, add a little extra garlic if you can only find plain tomatoes
2 cups vegetable broth

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and cumin seeds. Saute until onion is soft and golden, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Add chipotles and garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add black beans, diced tomatoes with juices, and
vegetable broth. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium. Simmer uncovered until liquid is reduced by half, stirring occasionally,
about 30 minutes. Transfer 2 cups of chili to blender or processor. Blend to coarse paste, return to pot. Simmer chili to thicken as
desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Thank you!!

Old 02-18-2020, 02:27 PM

23,567 posts, read 29,806,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I have never made chili because I don't like beef that much. BUT....I did find online a recipe that used zucchini & another that used sweet potatoes........& that sounds kinda yummy. Thank you..........
I haven't used beef for chili in decades. I use ground chicken or ground turkey.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:39 PM

5,968 posts, read 1,617,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I haven't used beef for chili in decades. I use ground chicken or ground turkey.

This is an option too........tho I would rather it be vegetarian.............

Old 02-18-2020, 03:25 PM

28,170 posts, read 18,525,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I love a bean chili over a sweet potato. The flavors go well.
Black beans and sweet potato. Yum.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:07 PM

28,170 posts, read 18,525,498 times
Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili Recipe | EatingWell

This looks good to me. Cut the spice in half to suit your taste.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 AM

3,862 posts, read 1,524,594 times
We’re not vegetarians and we like this meatless stew/chili recipe because it has deep flavors and the ground almonds give a satisfying mouth feel.

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/me...ble-stew-31246

Use as much or as little of the chili powder to suit your taste.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:19 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,736,447 times
I have a Board on Pinterest under soups that has 150 recipes for CHILI made with -TURKEY, CHICKEN, SWEET POTATO, VEGAN, VEGETARIAN RECIPES- no beef pork or bison that you can look through. Under the same name I use here. Don't know if they let me do a link, but....https://www.pinterest.com/flaladyb/s...s-in-sections/

Old 10-15-2020, 10:11 AM

4,509 posts, read 7,736,447 times
Update on the chili recipes that do not have any beef in them.
These are chili recipes made with: chicken, turkey, beans, sweet potatoes, lentals, vegetarian,vegan.

https://www.pinterest.com/flaladyb/c...ns-vegetarian/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes