Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 02:42 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times

Advertisements

Yes I use a coated pan, and again the coating on the top always seems to disappear as the other side is cooking which is still puzzling . I do press the coating on firmly and do not crowd the pan so I'm left to believe the heat of the oil is the main culprit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I tried frying potatoes the other day, watched a YouTube video of a woman frying potatoes, and did exactly what she did. I boiled the peeled and cubed potatoes slightly, made sure they were dry, made sure the oil was hot, and still I could not get the potatoes to brown or get crispy. At all. Ended up with mushy potato cubes.
Brand new, clean oil used for the first time will not give you a brown color. If you do several batches you can eventually get some color. Or if you par-fry, do a second batch, then put them each back a second time, you can get some color. The two-fry method works fine with raw potatoes to save yourself trouble. But the best oil is used oil. Don't salt the potatoes first (salt ruins the oil), fry them on their own, save the oil for re-use (mixing with some new is OK), and like everyone says make sure it's the right temperature when they go in, raw or boiled. If the oil isn't hot enough to quick-cook the surface, then the potatoes will absorb oil. The right temperature will seal the surface and cook the inside in a few more minutes.

Dave - you don't have to use that three-step breading process at first if you're learning. Try the seasoned and dredged stuff first, make sure the oil is hot enough, read above about browning, and make sure that A) the pan is not overcrowded and B) there is enough oil, halfway up the food, but not too much. Something like a pork chop you don't want oil on top of them, so be careful how much you put in. They should cook on one side while the top side remains oil-free, then turn them ONCE and cook the other side. If oil is on top it won't be hot enough to cook the top and the coating will absorb the oil and come off the food. You can only do both sides in a pot of oil deep enough that everything you put in it floats freely.

It should all, potatoes or meat or fish or chicken, be dry when you dredge it. Sitting for a bit, like a lot of people told you, will help.

Get a frying or candy thermometer so you can test the oil temperature. When you put food in, the temperature will drop, so you can raise the heat a speck, but then you'll have to lower it again when the temperature rises so nothing burns.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:41 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Many good tips here. I use cast iron only for frying as I think it gives me the best results.

Chef Daughter and I have talked before of cooking with all your senses. The size of the bubbles in the oil will tell you something about the degree of doneness of the meat. And so will the sound it makes when it's nearly done inside. It's a subtle difference for some perhaps but I can tell when my batter-dipped pieces of meat are done by the change of the sound in the frying pan.

She uses a touch of her magic heat-proof index finger to determine the doneness of a steak. Doubt it's heat-proof enough to test fried food but like me she uses appearance and sound as well as time.

Y'all have to come over sometime and bring your ears and I'll whip up a batch of sweet and sour pork or some tempura so y'all can hear it.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,201,797 times
ALTON BROWN'S "GOOD EATS" SEASON 4 EPISODE 3
"FRY HARD II: THE CHICKEN"
. . . . . . . .
Broiler / Fryer Chicken, cut up, cooked at 325-350F

12" cast iron chicken fryer pan
  • Overnight soak in buttermilk, drain
  • Dust with seasonings (encapsulating seasonings prevents burning them)
  • Dredge in AP flour, shake off excess
  • Rest on a rack for a few minutes to "set" the coating
  • Heat 1/3" oil in a 12" frypan [after chicken in place, oil should be half way up the side of the chicken pieces]
  • Place coated chicken into 350F pan, cook around 12 minutes per side (165-175F internal temperature), turn only once [*vital to leave upper half exposed so that steam can escape and not delaminate the crust*]
  • Drain on a rack
Keep OIL below 360F, if too hot, oil will begin to break down, make nasty smells, ruin the chicken, etc.
Keep cooked chicken away from moisture / steam, which causes the crust to break down.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/go...-chicken-fried

Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 AM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Adding this: the thick crunchy coating on fried chicken that you get at the fast food places is not fried. it is pressure fried and there is absolutely no way to do that at home. That is specialized cooking equipment that home cooks do not have.
Um, I don’t think so. KFC uses a pressure fryer, at least for their Original recipe, and the coating is pretty soft. Popeyes, on the other hand, uses regular deep fryers (not pressure) and their coating is the crunchiest (at least of the the mainstream chicken places). Getting excellent crunchy coating at home, either with a deep fryer or pan frying, isn’t that tough to do.

If one wanted to pressure fry, you can do it in a regular pressure cooker. I’ve done it, but no longer as the timing can be really difficult to get right when you can’t see the food to monitor its progress.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:46 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,510,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Of course deep frying isn't the ONLY way to fry food or else generations of families wouldn't have needed those cast iron skillets.
There's a reason KFC and everyone else deep-fries their chicken...

Old 03-27-2020, 08:17 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,602,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post

If one wanted to pressure fry, you can do it in a regular pressure cooker. I’ve done it, but no longer as the timing can be really difficult to get right when you can’t see the food to monitor its progress.
Please remember, you CANNOT pressure fry in an Instant Pot! Be safe

Old 03-27-2020, 10:20 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I don't do a lot of fried foods for obvious reasons. But whenever I tried to fry chicken or pork chops the coating always comes off and I'm left with bare meat in oil. I tried pulling the chicken out, getting it to room temps as someone suggested to me. The other night I followed the recipe for fried pork chops to the letter, which was to simply dredge or shake on the flour and spices, and it was still meat in oil. I had read once where it was steam from the meat so I made sure the chops were dry.

What am I missing?
Use more oil.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:23 AM

10,743 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Please remember, you CANNOT pressure fry in an Instant Pot! Be safe
I’m not talking about an Instant Pot.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,427,518 times
Don't feel bad. I can't bake for shyt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes