Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 09:58 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times

Advertisements

How it deviated is that the OP lists a bunch of wants in several paragraphs, but frankly, the first sentence reads like a wish to avoid much more than making a sandwich. Hence, the posts suggesting seasoning packets, canned ingredients, and premade meat-and-gravy bundles—all of them convenience foods but also processed ones.

MY post agreed with someone else’s comment that there are so many microwave and other convenience foods that it is possible to live like the mythical bachelor who never cooks.

I quickly get tired of eating convenience foods, which sounds like a contradiction. But it is true. Often the most rewarding things are those that require effort. OTOH, if I am “sick of cooking,” nuking a frozen entree certainly avoids cooking. Making a good sandwich fits the bill, too: bread, meat, and a vegetable sliced to fit in the sandwich: DONE, and no mess to clean up. OOPS, oil and vinegar on that sandwich brings it up to FIVE ingredients, and salt woild make it six.

BTW, your OP got the math symbols completely wrong. You showed symbols for MORE than 3 ingredients and MORE than 10 minutes, as quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post

What do you have? We're sick of cooking and dishes and want real meals fast and easy.

Again:

>3 ingredients
>10 minutes

Please do share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 11:18 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Heat a skillet
Chop a pepper and an onion
sautee
add 3 eggs

anything else is purely optional. under 10 minutes. protein and veggies.
boom
If you have a little more time - add potatoes and make a Spanish tortilla! (The potatoes add to the cooking time, but it is delicious!)

Old 05-10-2020, 11:27 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Nah. I can make almost anything in 15-20 minutes (1/4 to 1/3 of an hour) and I think anyone can. The real challenge is (and I get that it is a challenge - of course it's hard....but wouldn't it be great if we all pitched in and made a list to help each other?):

---A REAL dinner meal - I realize I wasn't clear about that (ie:not toast - that's breakfast to me)
---under 10 minutes
---less than 3 real-food ingredients
---Heat (not sandwiches/cereal)

Several here did do it in parts of their posts, and others in their full posts. But there's just too many posts that didn't.
I can't think of any dish I actually like that is only 3 ingredients (unless spices don't count.)

Here are a few more ideas:

can of beans, sausage, chard or kale. Cook the sausage, then add some water (or broth), the beans, and the greens. If you are fancy you can add chili flakes and dried herbs.

quick chickpea curry: chopped onion, can of diced tomatoes, can of chickpeas and curry powder. Sautee the onions with curry powder. Add the beans and tomatoes and any water needed to thin it out. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:31 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,237 times
Quote:
I'm sick to death of cooking and the dishes during this historic period in time, and I'd like to know what comfort foods you make that are easy and no more than 3 ingredients and ready in 10 minutes. (NO CHEATING...I see this so often online where they add in more stuff. Guess we'll allow water as a freebie? ) I suppose it doesn't have to be "comfort" food per se. But it does have to involve heat...ie: no cold sandwiches, etc. Basically, it is a meal and not some frozen/processed mess. (I suspect many will be meatless...that's a good thing.)

For me:

1. Canned stewed tomatoes that I add kidney beans to and nuke in the microwave (honestly, it's really, really good). 4 minute meal

2. Quesadilla (heat 1 tortilla in cast iron pan, flip, add cheese/onion, top with another tortilla, flip/heat till you like it's color) 7 minute meal

What do you have? We're sick of cooking and dishes and want real meals fast and easy.

Again:

>3 ingredients
>10 minutes

Please do share.
Pike: you quote only part of my 1st post (which is interesting), and while symbols may have been wrong, the text was not - as all of the following was there, including the words "NO CHEATING" in caps, and the following bolded above:

No more than 3 ingredients
less than 10 minutes
not frozen/processed
no cold food

So, the original post was not wrong (nor was the title)...just the symbols. I sincerely doubt anybody misunderstood....unless they didn't read the post, which would explain it, I suppose. And some people clearly, very clearly, knew exactly what I asked, because they responded with recipes that fit the bill. The failure isn't mine.

Last edited by crusinsusan; 05-10-2020 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 07:05 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
toast + avocado
warm tortilla + peanut butter
ramen + whatever is in your fridge
hot broth + couscous + whatever leftovers you have
nuked potato + leftover pasta sauce + cheese
salad + fish baked for 8 minutes in toaster oven
Muesli + hot milk
sauteed mushrooms and garlic + kale, saute 3 more minutes

Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,045,264 times
1.) Banana,berry or apple pancakes
3 bananas
6 eggs
200 gram flour
(water if you like thinner batter)

2.) Potato pancakes
grated potatoes
2 eggs
salt

3.)Toast layered with ham,pineapple or cheese OR toast layered with tomatoes and cheese and baked in the oven

4.) Bread layered with black forest ham and a fried egg/s
5.) scrambled eggs with chives and tomatoes

Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Mini pizzas:

- tortilla or English muffin
- tomato sauce
- cheese (I like an Italian blend)

10 minutes at 350 or 375 degrees and you're ready to eat.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:26 AM

11,120 posts, read 9,756,639 times
One of the appliances I forget about is my Vitamix blender. Lots of things can become hot soup if you use the blender.

Steam or microwave vegetables to cook quickly, then blend with either broth or cream. Suggestions for blended soups could be:

cream of broccoli
butternut squash (available pre-peeled and cut in the produce department)
Green peas
Cream of corn (microwave one ear for 4 minutes, 2 for 6 to 8 minutes)
Carrot soup
Cream of tomato

If you would use it, considering it's canned you might not, V8 makes a delicious soup base and has more veggies than just tomato sauce. It has very few additives, citric acid and salt I believe. I sometimes make ramen noodles in water, dump the water, and add V8, then heat until V8 is warm. Additional veggies could be added, especially already cooked leftover veggies from your fridge.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Pike: you quote only part of my 1st post (which is interesting), and while symbols may have been wrong, the text was not - as all of the following was there, including the words "NO CHEATING" in caps, and the following bolded above:

No more than 3 ingredients
less than 10 minutes
not frozen/processed
no cold food

So, the original post was not wrong (nor was the title)...just the symbols. I sincerely doubt anybody misunderstood....unless they didn't read the post, which would explain it, I suppose. And some people clearly, very clearly, knew exactly what I asked, because they responded with recipes that fit the bill. The failure isn't mine.
I clipped ONLY the part of your OP that was the opposite of what your paragraphs stated. I did read your entire post before making any response and it was clear what you had intended. But it also seemed that the top priority was EASY and FAST and NO DISHES. Not many full meals with “real food” meet those criteria.

But since you are spending a lot of time picking apart people’s suggestions—all trying to help you even if not meeting your specs—I will stop spending time giving mine. I had already suggsted quesadillas in earlier thread before this one. I can think of a couple more that meet the strict requirements but no point bringing you rocks.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:07 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
People are having trouble understanding the concept of dinner in 10 minutes!! Pretend it is 6:30 p.m. and you are starving and want a meal now! Then try to help OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes