Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 05:07 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,073,867 times

Advertisements

I have never had rhubarb! I want to tho, lol.

Your first post Lodestar, with the recipe...well it sounds like all the (dry) ingredients that I use in my peach cobbler.
Along w/the oatmeal.

I could make something like that for my first time of eating it. Easy enough!

Can't wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 06:35 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
I love rhubarb. But this thread made me sad, bc I have so much trouble growing rhubarb. I have killed existing, transplanted and purchased rhubarb plants more times than I can count. (probably not enough sun) So my garden has no rhubarb. I've been grocery shopping every two weeks, today was the day and the grocery had no rhubarb either, so I am double sad.

But OT, I love just straight up rhubarb simmered with a bit of sugar and water and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Lodestar, that's a shame about the rhubarb theft.. But I read on the Maine forum (thread title - "shipping container") about a guy who had 15 cords of cut and split hardwood stolen from his property while he was quarantined down south.
Rhubarb grows like a weed in England , gets out of control fast , well it use to do, I don’t think it’s As popular as it use to be

Old 05-20-2020, 05:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,158,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
Rhubarb grows like a weed in England , gets out of control fast , well it use to do, I don’t think it’s As popular as it use to be

Didn't know that. Maybe I need to relocate.

Another way to enjoy rhubarb that has me drooling lately is stewed as I described above and then stirred into plain yogurt. Not a recipe per se, but a nice dessert or breakfast.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:36 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
We used to have Rhubarb Kram, which is a Scandinavian pudding. Ive never made it, I stick to pies, but here’s a recipe.

https://www.food.com/recipe/norwegia...pudding-135124

Old 05-20-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We used to have Rhubarb Kram, which is a Scandinavian pudding. Ive never made it, I stick to pies, but here’s a recipe.

https://www.food.com/recipe/norwegia...pudding-135124
Also a rhubarb crumble looks good , some recipes on BBC recipes .....

Old 05-20-2020, 07:10 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
I like rhubarb compote with a bit of cinnamon and serve it as dessert with plain yogurt (and whipping cream optional) layered,or with vanilla cream or vanilla sauce or with breakfast muesli.
I also like to make rhubarb cake on a cookie sheet with crumbles (almonds,flour,sugar,butter for topping)

Rhubarb cake with meringue topping!(our favorite one)

500 gram rhubarb
250 gram butter
100 gram brown sugar
5 egg yolks (5 egg whites are for making the meringue)
300 gram flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
mix sugar,baking soda and salt
next add butter,then add the 5 egg yolks and then the flour
after kneading spread soft dough with your hand in a greased springform evenly
add peeled,cut rhubarb,and bake at 340 F for 30 minutes

Meanwhile make the meringue from...
5 egg whites
200 to 250 gram sugar
pinch of salt

Take cake out of the oven spread the meringue over the cake and bake for another 30 minutes.

Delicious!

Old 05-20-2020, 11:19 AM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
I lived on the farm of second generation German immigrants and they used a lot of rhubarb. One of her specialties was rhubarb bars with a meringue topping. Very pretty. Elegant, even.

Our recent damp springs can play havoc with my plans for meringue recipes. I've learned to choose days to bake it carefully.

I found this fun and basic all rhubarb site that seems to have all the favorites:

https://www.rhubarb-central.com/rhubarb-punch.html

We had a lot of family birthdays in July and my SIL used to have a large family picnic in that month. She used this recipe from cooks.com to make a rhubarb beverage to serve.

RHUBARB SLUSH

8 c. rhubarb, cut up
2 qts. water
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. lemon juice
1 sm. pkg. red raspberry Jello
2 1/2 c. vodka

Cook rhubarb in water until tender. Strain. Add lemon juice, sugar, Jello and vodka then freeze. When serving, add 3/4 cup slush and 1/4 cup 7-Up.

She froze it in ice cream pails and made a separate, non-alcoholic version for the kids.

People are familiar with the rhubarb/strawberry combination but rhubarb also goes very well with blueberries or raspberries.
I have a simple recipe for rhubarb jam that has a can of blueberry pie filling and a box of raspberry jello in it if any one is interested.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:06 PM

I want to add that for those who can't find rhubarb I've sometimes been able to find it frozen and at Farmer's Markets.

And for those who are curious, here's a brief history of rhubarb's origins:

The History of Rhubarb

Old 05-21-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I want to add that for those who can't find rhubarb I've sometimes been able to find it frozen and at Farmer's Markets.

And for those who are curious, here's a brief history of rhubarb's origins:

The History of Rhubarb
Thanks very interesting reading

Old 05-21-2020, 01:22 PM

And here's a remarkable article about the introduction of rhubarb to the general public during Queen Victoria's coronation.

https://www.history.com/news/rhubarb-a-love-affair

When I was a kid in Southern MN I think everyone town had a patch of rhubarb in their back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes