Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times

Advertisements

It's finally time for fresh rhubarb here in Southern Minnesota. I thought I'd open up a spot for us to share our favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 06:43 PM

Here's a rhubarb upside-down cake that's very pretty on the plate and is just the right amount of tart/sweet, smooth/crunchy.

Rhubarb Upside-down Cake

Melt 2T. butter and 1/2 C. white sugar in 8"x8' pan. Top with 2 C. diced rhubarb.

In bowl pour 2/3 C. boiling water over 1/2 C. quick cooking oatmeal. Let rest covered for 20 minutes.

In another bowl mix 1 C. flour, 1 t. baking powder, 1/4 t. salt, 1/4 t. baking soda, 1/2 t. cinnamon, 2/3 C. white sugar, 1/2 C. brown sugar, 1/4 oil and 1 egg.

Add to oatmeal and stir. I add a half cup of walnuts to this. Pour gently over rhubarb.

Bake at 350 degrees for about fifty minutes. Test that a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes. Run knife around edges and invert on serving plate. I leave it a few minutes to make sure all the oozy goodness drips down. Then lift the baking pan.

This is good warm with ice cream or whipped cream but also delicious all by itself.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:29 PM

336 posts, read 575,033 times
I love rhubarb. This sounds so good. Will have to try it!

Old 05-16-2020, 08:41 PM

2,106 posts, read 978,109 times
We use to grow Rhubarb in our garden when I was a child , we’d get a handful of sugar go around breaking off the sticks of Rhubarb dip it in the sugar , no washing it , ate it straight out the ground .

Old 05-17-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
We use to grow Rhubarb in our garden when I was a child , we’d get a handful of sugar go around breaking off the sticks of Rhubarb dip it in the sugar , no washing it , ate it straight out the ground .
We did too. Some prefered the savory route and used salt. Rhubarb ala essence of canine. Only we wiped it on our pants leg to sterilize it. Just like every good pet owner worms their dog in season every mother in my neighborhood wormed their kids in the summer time.

Good health practice then when we were free range. Now it sounds like TMI.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:04 PM

1,263 posts, read 665,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
We did too. Some prefered the savory route and used salt. Rhubarb ala essence of canine. Only we wiped it on our pants leg to sterilize it. Just like every good pet owner worms their dog in season every mother in my neighborhood wormed their kids in the summer time.

Good health practice then when we were free range. Now it sounds like TMI.
I agree! Lol
Yep everyone in our neighborhood had a garden back then and it was common to see kids in gardens .... eating. We would pull rhubarb, carrots, radishes, and graze on berries, fruits, and anything that didn't require cooking. Was it washed? Never, just a swipe or two on our pants and if the dirt was gone it's ready to eat! Now our mothers had a whole different idea on if was clean or not.

Old 05-17-2020, 03:19 PM

My mom use to make rhubarb and custard , it was a warm dessert , cheap too , there probably a posh version of it now.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:17 PM

That sounds delicious. Was the rhubarb poached and served on top of the custard or stirred right into it? I think I'd like that.

Something old-fashioned DH likes that I do also is tapioca pudding. I keep thinking that it would be very good with rhubarb. He says not to mess with his tapioca.

My MIL used to make a cobbler of sorts on top of the stove. Probably a Depression recipe. She'd drop sweet flour dumplings into simmering rhubarb sauce. DH has requested it every year. For some reason the dumplings no longer hold together when I do it. I'm still following her old recipe. Something has changed.

One year I made a huge batch for him to share at work and people liked it. I'm indifferent to it. It's heavy and filling. Just like it's supposed to be, I guess.

A rhubarb story: A few years ago we went on vacation and when we got home it was apparent that someone had dug out of our rhubarb plants and pilfered it. Hmm. Had to be one of the neighbors. No one else would even know they are out there behind the garage.

But we've got, and have had for years, really good neighbors. And If they planted it in their yard (in spite of being "good neighbors") it wouldn't be difficult to take a cruise around the neighborhood and see where someone had just planted a new plant.

A mystery. And irritating. But I have to think the way we all watch out for each other around here that whoever it was would have had to sneak ninja style in the wee hours of the morning with a good-sized container and shovel. And I have to chuckle a bit at the hijinx. And ultimately no harm done. This year we just divided our older one and replaced the missing one.

Still what's with these people poor of spirit who have so little sense of community that they don't even trust that if they'd have asked I would have split one for them? (I figured out who it was. Our newest neighbors, of course. How bright was that? After a couple of decades of community I now have a neighbor I don't trust all over a lousy rhubarb plant.)

Old 05-17-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That sounds delicious. Was the rhubarb poached and served on top of the custard or stirred right into it? I think I'd like that.

Something old-fashioned DH likes that I do also is tapioca pudding. I keep thinking that it would be very good with rhubarb. He says not to mess with his tapioca.

My MIL used to make a cobbler of sorts on top of the stove. Probably a Depression recipe. She'd drop sweet flour dumplings into simmering rhubarb sauce. DH has requested it every year. For some reason the dumplings no longer hold together when I do it. I'm still following her old recipe. Something has changed.

One year I made a huge batch for him to share at work and people liked it. I'm indifferent to it. It's heavy and filling. Just like it's supposed to be, I guess.

A rhubarb story: A few years ago we went on vacation and when we got home it was apparent that someone had dug out of our rhubarb plants and pilfered it. Hmm. Had to be one of the neighbors. No one else would even know they are out there behind the garage.

But we've got, and have had for years, really good neighbors. And If they planted it in their yard (in spite of being "good neighbors") it wouldn't be difficult to take a cruise around the neighborhood and see where someone had just planted a new plant.

A mystery. And irritating. But I have to think the way we all watch out for each other around here that whoever it was would have had to sneak ninja style in the wee hours of the morning with a good-sized container and shovel. And I have to chuckle a bit at the hijinx. And ultimately no harm done. This year we just divided our older one and replaced the missing one.

Still what's with these people poor of spirit who have so little sense of community that they don't even trust that if they'd have asked I would have split one for them? (I figured out who it was. Our newest neighbors, of course. How bright was that? After a couple of decades of community I now have a neighbor I don't trust all over a lousy rhubarb plant.)
The rhubarb was just heated up in a pot with sugar served in a bowl with warm custard on top .

Old 05-18-2020, 03:09 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,157,209 times
I love rhubarb. But this thread made me sad, bc I have so much trouble growing rhubarb. I have killed existing, transplanted and purchased rhubarb plants more times than I can count. (probably not enough sun) So my garden has no rhubarb. I've been grocery shopping every two weeks, today was the day and the grocery had no rhubarb either, so I am double sad.

But OT, I love just straight up rhubarb simmered with a bit of sugar and water and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Lodestar, that's a shame about the rhubarb theft.. But I read on the Maine forum (thread title - "shipping container") about a guy who had 15 cords of cut and split hardwood stolen from his property while he was quarantined down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes