Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 08:43 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Honestly, the best sauce is made with San Marzano tomatoes. There really is not comparison.

That said, outside of that, Marcella Hazan's recipe really can't be beat. And it is really simple. Follow to the letter.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...s-tomato-sauce
Unbelievably, I actually had this cooking for dinner tonight! HONEST! I had made it once before and thought it wasn't all that great. Too tangy and no layering or depth of flavor. No Unami. I did like the mouthfeel from the butter.

But Hazan's sauce still blows up the internet everytime it's mentioned, so I thought I'd better try again. Both DH and I had the same reaction as last time..

The leftovers will be used as pizza sauce, where I believe it will work very well. And I do think it would be very good with spicy meatballs

ETA - yes I DID use good San Marzano tomatoes. They were damned expensive.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 06-17-2020 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 04:06 PM

1,264 posts, read 667,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I’ve got a fairly successful tomato garden this year, much to my delight! I have 4 large plants, two of which are small varieties, so not having to peel the tomatoes is a plus. My first go around, at least, will be with early girl and celebrity tomatoes, possibly mixed with other varieties my neighbor sells, so I’m willing to blanch and peel.

Please share your best tomato sauce recipes with me that start with fresh, not canned, tomatoes. I also have Italian parsley, basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, and lemon thyme in the garden.

I will be eternally grateful.
Hello Debsi, good to hear your crop is doing well! This is the simplest fresh tomato sauce I know of. I do this often in the Summer. It's a recipe I read about in a Giuliano Bugialli book long ago.
Simmer fresh tomatoes with no other ingredients for at least an hour, until well reduced. Pass this thru a food mill or strainer, return this sauce to the pan and add a bunch of basil (tied is best) simmer for about 10 minutes more, remove the basil and serve! Add butter or Evoo to the pasta along with the sauce. Voila, the truest essence of garden fresh tomatoes!

Old 06-18-2020, 07:03 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I would roast the tomatoes with Olive oil and salt, then puree them in a food processor, saute 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 chopped onion ( I use sweet onions) chopped fresh parsley 1 Tbsp, 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil, add the pureed tomatoes and simmer for 2 hours. If the tomatoes are sweet which I think they will be then omit adding a little sugar. I add sugar when I use canned tomatoes about 1 Tbsp. salt and pepper to taste.Sometimes I add a splash of red wine to it too. I made fresh sauce once and it was good.
throw in some red pepper flakes and this is the way I make it too. I chop the onion into fairly large pieces because I like the feel of biting into them and the mouthful of onion taste. I sauté the onion and garlic in plenty of olive oil.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 PM

I've never had a sauce made from fresh tomatoes that I thought was better than other things I could do with those garden fresh tomatoes. Bruschetta. Caprese. Burrata and fresh tomatoes. Tomato, onion and cucumber salad. Tomato pie (which I dont like, but many others love).

In any event, two recent dinners included fresh tomatoes in these recipes. They were both delicious. Neither are 'sauces' per se.

Orzo with cherry tomatoes, capers and lemon. fresh basil would be a nice addition just before serving.

Pasta with burst cherry tomato sauce.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:54 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've never had a sauce made from fresh tomatoes that I thought was better than other things I could do with those garden fresh tomatoes. Bruschetta. Caprese. Burrata and fresh tomatoes. Tomato, onion and cucumber salad. Tomato pie (which I dont like, but many others love).

In any event, two recent dinners included fresh tomatoes in these recipes. They were both delicious. Neither are 'sauces' per se.

Orzo with cherry tomatoes, capers and lemon. fresh basil would be a nice addition just before serving.

Pasta with burst cherry tomato sauce.
Thanks for your additions. I agree that the tomatoes are best enjoyed fresh, but so many ripen at once that some of them MUST be cooked. I’m making a raw pasta sauce tonight, incidentally.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Thanks for your additions. I agree that the tomatoes are best enjoyed fresh, but so many ripen at once that some of them MUST be cooked. I’m making a raw pasta sauce tonight, incidentally.

DH's garden only resulted in that many tomatoes once. I ended up roasting them, then putting them in the freezer. IIRC, they made a pretty good addition to pasta and rice.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:55 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Debi's - enjoy the bontiful harvest! I insist on coring them. Parchment lined cookie sheet, lay tomatoe halves skin down on it, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil and some salt. 350F in the oven until they are almost leathery. Freeze. Chop to add to pizza or pasta. Pls do not over dry!

Old 06-21-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Unbelievably, I actually had this cooking for dinner tonight! HONEST! I had made it once before and thought it wasn't all that great. Too tangy and no layering or depth of flavor. No Unami. I did like the mouthfeel from the butter.

But Hazan's sauce still blows up the internet everytime it's mentioned, so I thought I'd better try again. Both DH and I had the same reaction as last time..

The leftovers will be used as pizza sauce, where I believe it will work very well. And I do think it would be very good with spicy meatballs

ETA - yes I DID use good San Marzano tomatoes. They were damned expensive.
I was correct. It made GREAT pizza sauce (at least,for what we like). So much so that I WILL continue making this sauce, then freeze it for future pizza.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:32 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Debi's - enjoy the bontiful harvest! I insist on coring them. Parchment lined cookie sheet, lay tomatoe halves skin down on it, drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil and some salt. 350F in the oven until they are almost leathery. Freeze. Chop to add to pizza or pasta. Pls do not over dry!
Did you ever try this with pear or cherry tomatoes? Could they be done whole, or bad idea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes