Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 05:12 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times

Advertisements

I’ve got a fairly successful tomato garden this year, much to my delight! I have 4 large plants, two of which are small varieties, so not having to peel the tomatoes is a plus. My first go around, at least, will be with early girl and celebrity tomatoes, possibly mixed with other varieties my neighbor sells, so I’m willing to blanch and peel.

Please share your best tomato sauce recipes with me that start with fresh, not canned, tomatoes. I also have Italian parsley, basil, rosemary, sage, thyme, and lemon thyme in the garden.

I will be eternally grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 06:58 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I would roast the tomatoes with Olive oil and salt, then puree them in a food processor, saute 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 chopped onion ( I use sweet onions) chopped fresh parsley 1 Tbsp, 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil, add the pureed tomatoes and simmer for 2 hours. If the tomatoes are sweet which I think they will be then omit adding a little sugar. I add sugar when I use canned tomatoes about 1 Tbsp. salt and pepper to taste.Sometimes I add a splash of red wine to it too. I made fresh sauce once and it was good.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:09 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
If you are planning on canning some tomatoes, I slice them in half or so roast them with olive oil, salt and pepper, low and slow for a few hours and then can them. When I need fresh sauce I just throw a jar in the blender with some fresh herbs and roasted garlic and it ready to go. You can do this for a regular day of sauce too, I don't bother peeling them unless the skin is tough.

If you want to use the fresh picked tomatoes that night for dinner try this https://smittenkitchen.com/2015/08/a...-tomato-sauce/

Old 06-16-2020, 07:54 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
I always made The Frugal Gourmet's Fresh Sicilian sauce, which uses canned and fresh tomatoes when we had a garden. I'd freeze it in quart, flattened bags and use it as a "mother" sauce.

Also, if we were growing plum tomatoes (or if they were on sale), I'd toss them with EVOO, dried basil and grated Parm R cheese, S and P, then dehydrate them in the oven on racks at 175-200 (as low as oven would go) for several hours, then portion in small bags and freeze. They were great to add in with pastas and pesto.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:15 AM

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I will not being canning, I preserve my pasta sauces in quart containers in the freezer.

The Frugal Gourmet recipe is interesting - why do you suppose it uses both fresh and canned tomatoes? Is this a textural issue?

Old 06-17-2020, 09:54 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Honestly, the best sauce is made with San Marzano tomatoes. There really is not comparison.

That said, outside of that, Marcella Hazan's recipe really can't be beat. And it is really simple. Follow to the letter.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...s-tomato-sauce

Old 06-17-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Honestly, the best sauce is made with San Marzano tomatoes. There really is not comparison.

That said, outside of that, Marcella Hazan's recipe really can't be beat. And it is really simple. Follow to the letter.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...s-tomato-sauce
Thanks for sharing! I’ve made it before with fancy San Marzano canned tomatoes, and I wasn’t that impressed. I’m not saying it was bad, but it wasn’t the life changing event that the internet promised me. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had heard less about how amazing it was.

I realized that I really enjoy the textures and flavors added by vegetables such as chopped onion, garlic, sometimes mushrooms, carrots, celery, or Chile peppers in my pasta sauce. I could get by with just onion and garlic for veg, but I always use herbs too.

Old 06-17-2020, 05:13 PM

1,371 posts, read 668,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Thank you for the suggestions so far. I will not being canning, I preserve my pasta sauces in quart containers in the freezer.

The Frugal Gourmet recipe is interesting - why do you suppose it uses both fresh and canned tomatoes? Is this a textural issue?
I always thought it was to get the fresh taste, but stretch the fresh tomatoes, but honestly don't know.

It's a very mild basic sauce, which is why I mentioned using it as a "mother" sauce.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I’ve made it before with fancy San Marzano canned tomatoes, and I wasn’t that impressed. I’m not saying it was bad, but it wasn’t the life changing event that the internet promised me. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I had heard less about how amazing it was.
Then you probably used San Marzano like tomatoes and not the real deal. They are expensive and will have the DOP label.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Then you probably used San Marzano like tomatoes and not the real deal. They are expensive and will have the DOP label.

Sometimes it is hard to tell the real from the substitutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes