Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 05:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose88 View Post
I bought frozen shrimp and hash browns last month. I usually fry them and eat them, but I started hating oil so much for no reason.

Do you have easy cooking ideas to use them?

Thanks
ok, if it isn't because you are trying to stay away from fat, I would use butter instead or just use a little cooking spray.. Ideally using an fryer would solve your problem altogether. You do have to use a little spray but so little you would never know you used any. There really is no way, other than to bake the fries if you do not want to use oil or an air fryer. the shrimp can be prepared many ways, either steam them, brown them in the toaster over of make a spicy sauce and heat them for about 3 or 4 minutes on the stove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 06:34 AM

88 posts, read 53,841 times
Shrimp - etouffee, egg foo yung, grilled on the barbeque (or in the oven).

Hash browns - breakfast casserole (Google it; there must be hundreds of recipes for breakfast casserole).

Old 08-05-2020, 07:21 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,084,136 times
Not oil, manteca, bacon grease, duck fat, etc.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briargate View Post
Shrimp - etouffee, egg foo yung, grilled on the barbeque (or in the oven).

Hash browns - breakfast casserole (Google it; there must be hundreds of recipes for breakfast casserole).
If done properly, Egg foo yung is deep fried. It requires a lot of oil to make the patty 'crunchy' on the outside. https://thewoksoflife.com/egg-foo-yo...n/?jwsource=cl

Etoufee` has oil when you make the roux, but I guess but I guess you could use butter.

Quote:
I bought frozen shrimp and hash browns last month. I usually fry them and eat them, but I started hating oil so much for no reason.

Thanks
Hmmm. If this change of taste buds is recent, I'd wonder about Covid-19, especially if his/her sense of smell has also changed.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:05 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yeah, I was going to say - the processed hashbrowns are ALREADY loaded with oil.

Buying hashbrowns is an odd way to avoid oil.
Maybe the hash brown patties, but not the loose hashbrowns.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:04 AM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
"I hate oil"

OK, but what do you hate about it? None of these answers mean anything if we don't know why you hate oil.

Trying to cut fat/calories? Don't like the taste? Are you simply using too much in your recipes?

"Hate" is a strong word, so I'm trying to understand how someone can hate something for "no reason". Makes no sense to me.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:10 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
BACON GREASE, everything is better in bacon grease !!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2020, 09:38 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Thoroughly defrost so all that excess water is gone then broil, YUM!

Old 08-05-2020, 08:31 PM

521 posts, read 292,834 times
Thanks everyone. To answer your questions:
- I'm not concerned about fat. I don't have diet reasons. The taste of the food is not good if I use oil. Or maybe I feel gross eating oily food. Not sure.
- I love using butter but the last time I did it I got sick (migraines) and stayed the whole day in bed!! It could be tefal cookware but not sure. I got rid of tefal!!
- I don't want to spend money on air fryer
- The change of taste is new. The sense of smell didn't change. I have a weak sense of smell!!

Some of the suggestions sound easy I will try something in the weekend

Old 08-06-2020, 06:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. To answer your questions:
- I'm not concerned about fat. I don't have diet reasons. The taste of the food is not good if I use oil. Or maybe I feel gross eating oily food. Not sure.
- I love using butter but the last time I did it I got sick (migraines) and stayed the whole day in bed!! It could be tefal cookware but not sure. I got rid of tefal!!
- I don't want to spend money on air fryer
- The change of taste is new. The sense of smell didn't change. I have a weak sense of smell!!

Some of the suggestions sound easy I will try something in the weekend
sounds like most of our suggestions are not going to work well for you. Good luck and keep us posted on how your fries and shrimp turn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes