Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:14 AM

11,004 posts, read 9,640,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It came from OLD chicken. As they age, their meat turns that way. I'd suggest to never buy from that supplier again.
Try steaming it, if you can. But, otherwise, as I doubt, American cats will eat meat, toss it. Or, give to chickens, will be treat for them.
Say what? Since when did cats nationality have anything to do with their diet? Cats definitely eat meat, no matter what country they are from, maybe not old, dry chicken though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 08:18 AM

26,941 posts, read 13,180,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesJava View Post
Good morning,

I cooked some chicken breasts recently and the meat is very tough -- I don't believe that cooking was the issue because the meat tastes old. Would shredding it and putting it in soup be the best way to use it, or should I toss it? Thanks in advance for your advice.

JJ
I would just toss it if it looks off, however if it's still fit to eat then stick in a curry or soup.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM

23,541 posts, read 70,012,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Large “woody” chicken breasts ..
Try slow cooking them til they fall apart
For whatever reason, and in my experience, that doesn't work with tough chicken. It works wonderfully with beef, pork, and fish turns to liquid, but old tough chicken just dries out more (loses what fat might be in it) shrinks up a bit, and gets even tougher.

Consider that the tenderest chicken breast is that cooked just barely into the safe zone, and for the minimum amount of time. Reverse all that, and it just gets tougher and tougher. By the time you get in to the zone of melting connective fascia (which seems to go before muscle tissue) it is unsalvageable. Pieces that I cut into 1/4" cubes for soup presented as dry almost unchewable cubes. Ground up, it can be mixed with enough fat to work in some dishes.

I tried sous vide chicken a few weeks ago and was not impressed even with good chicken cooked low and slow. A thirty hour round roast, OTOH? Amazing.

Old 09-25-2020, 12:07 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,896,828 times
To make proper chicken soup, you need an old hen (which is what you may have) for the broth and a young rooster for the meat. Simmer the tough meat until it gets some sort of tender if possible, if it doesn't then strain it out and feed it to a less picky eater like a cat or dog. Then use the old hen broth and the young rooster for the meat in the chicken soup.

Old tough hens make the best tasting broth, but sometimes the meat is pretty inedible. At least, for humans.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:54 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,026,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
...I doubt, American cats will eat meat...

Bwahahahahahahaha!

You funny. And wrong (again).

Cats love meat, even in America...and even in the SSRK.

When I put the meat on the table- chicken, turkey, pork, beef, the cats are right there...and if you ignore them, they will stick their claws in your hand and pull it toward them to remind you. They want theirs and they will leave you bloody if you don't share.

Anyway, on to the OP...I smoked a turkey a little while ago, everything was perfect except the drumsticks. The drumsticks were tough, but, no problem. Pulled the meat off the bones, shredded it up and made a big pot of slow-cooked jambalaya. It was a little chewy, but still OK.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:17 PM

22,597 posts, read 24,409,835 times
Crockpot will make that meatleather taste dandy.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:09 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,505,644 times
Chop it small and throw it into the boiling water when making ramen.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:37 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,139,510 times
Woody chicken breast is a known problem.

Woody breast continues to confound the poultry industry a decade after its discovery. The condition does not harm the birds or cause them to act differently, and it does not harm people if eaten. It does, however, cause the meat tissue on chicken to become unusually tough, with a coarse texture - prompting complaints from consumers and leading to large amounts of affected poultry products going to waste.

Chicken affected by woody breast is healthy to eat, but the texture is very different, says Dr Casey Owens-Hanning, Novus International professor of poultry science at the University of Arkansas. In the laboratory, the condition can be detected in chicks as young as a week old, which suggests the problem might be genetic, says Dr John Glisson, vice president of research at the US Poultry & Egg Association.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:44 PM

10,167 posts, read 6,611,152 times
Tastes "odd?"

I would put it out for the crows/ravens. Their systems can handle rancid food.

No way would I eat it, or give it to any animals I care about.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:05 PM

23,541 posts, read 70,012,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Woody chicken breast is a known problem.

Woody breast continues to confound the poultry industry a decade after its discovery. The condition does not harm the birds or cause them to act differently, and it does not harm people if eaten. It does, however, cause the meat tissue on chicken to become unusually tough, with a coarse texture - prompting complaints from consumers and leading to large amounts of affected poultry products going to waste.

Chicken affected by woody breast is healthy to eat, but the texture is very different, says Dr Casey Owens-Hanning, Novus International professor of poultry science at the University of Arkansas. In the laboratory, the condition can be detected in chicks as young as a week old, which suggests the problem might be genetic, says Dr John Glisson, vice president of research at the US Poultry & Egg Association.
^^^ This. The birds I had were within the scope of this. I cannot say more, except to say that Avigen was not responsible in any way. This is an issue that existed before the current industry, and will exist despite efforts to eradicate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes