Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 02:39 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I thought those "ladies who lunch" were a little crazy putting carrots and celery in their jello. And calling it a jello "mold" put the final nail in the coffin for me as a kid. Then there was that little dish of mayo and cream "dressing" on the side. . .

But when my daughter was baptized nearly fifty years ago I was very proud to be able to put a lime, pineapple, cottage cheese jello salad on the table. Hard to believe I'd do that to company.

In truth, I'd probably eat a little bowl of it myself, right now but times have changed about what we consider appropriate.

Talking about jello...
You should try to make bundt cakes covered with jello. OMG!! I had them last year in my home country (I guess, they became trendy) and they were very delicious! Going to make some for coming holidays.
Look at those:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cake...iw=393&bih=721
It's called mirror glaze. I remember it from my childhood, but I guess, they got forgotten for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 02:48 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Talking about jello...
You should try to make bundt cakes covered with jello. OMG!! I had them last year in my home country (I guess, they became trendy) and they were very delicious! Going to make some for coming holidays.
Look at those:
It's called mirror glaze. I remember it from my childhood, but I guess, they got forgotten for a long time.
Even though I don't like Jello those cakes look so pretty

Old 11-03-2020, 07:05 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
Quote:
Talking about jello...
Look at those:
Those are really beautiful! If they are making them with something like Knox and natural juices they may also be very tasty.

Remember Jello poke cakes? My kids used to love to help make those.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:36 AM

164 posts, read 127,245 times
Quote:
For those who still remember all the delicious food they ate when they were kids and want to duplicate:

https://clickamericana.com/category/recipes
Great website for vintage recipes. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2020, 05:59 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,246,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I remember when my mother was making a pie she always made little cinnamon pies for my brother and I. Some of the leftover crust (home made of course) put in one of those aluminum bowls like pot pies used to come in, then she just put butter, cinnamon and sugar in it and folded the crust over before baking. Loved those things!

One thing about a lot of my mother's recipes is she couldn't really give you a recipe for it. My ex wife and my present wife had both asked my mother for a couple of her recipes and "All I can tell you is I put a dab of butter into a cup or so of flour. I just add flour till it looks like the right amount." lol She made some biscuits she would cut out with a small cookie cutter. My unlce was giving a speech once and told the crowd he had a sister in law who cut her biscuits out with a Coke cap. Anyway, after she died, my wife, sister in law, and 2 daughters in law were all rummaging through all Mama's recipes trying to find the one for her biscuits. Never did!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Watched my MIL make dumplings. She opened the sack of flour, made a depression in it, added wet ingredients, and mixed with her hand until it looked and felt just right. Then she pulled out the wad of dough, rolled it out, and cut strips that went straight into the boiling stock. Delicious, and to this day I have no clue exactly how she did it.
My mother made biscuits by "feel" without measuring ingredients, either, so I never learned how to do it.

She cut them out with the bottom part of a "tea ball", similar to this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/32385401312...BoCxg8QAvD_BwE

Old 11-04-2020, 08:14 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I guess they can be frozen and then nuked later ? Do you think it would be better too to slice the muffins with a knife not a fork for these pizzas .
They never last that long here, but I don’t see why not. I think forked or sliced doesn’t matter.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:45 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,411,860 times
I always think the fork separated ones hold the sauce and ingredients on top better.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:50 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,226,267 times
My mom used to make City Chicken when I was a kid in the 70s, it was a favourite of mine and was very popular in this part of Ontario and the US Midwest.

Old 11-07-2020, 11:11 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
My mom make this all the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iMFBh3up20

Old 11-08-2020, 03:44 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
I haven't had it in years but my mom used to make those betty Crocker scalloped potatoes in the box. They were so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes