Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 04:26 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

i remember my grandmother made me a salmon cake made from canned salmon and I broke out in the worst way in horrible hives . the dr told her I had an allergy to salmon and I still do . If I smell salmon i get the worst allergy attack it is awful . My aunt started laughing about it and my grandma started crying and I remember feeling bad about it as a kid LOL .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 05:18 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Tomato sauce starting with whole plumb tomatoes and a mechanical grinder, tomato paste, fresh onion, garlic and basil, wine, oregano, ground beef, pork sausage, pastas in various shapes, some stuffable or coverable with cheeses, like ricotta, mozzarella and parmigiana, and mulignan, etc.

Also homemade pizza from scratch, and just plain bread with water, yeast, wheat flour, and salt. Period.

My great-grandmother used to make these very thin honey-covered cookies, two of her granddaughters knew the recipe, one passed away, the other one who is on the other side of 80 I have to ask if she still remembers how to make them.

Last edited by bale002; 11-17-2020 at 06:20 AM..

Old 11-17-2020, 07:09 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,327,980 times
It has a very different texture from a génoise. Thicker, denser, and buttery.

500 g soft butter
10 eggs, split
500 g fine granulated sugar or white caster sugar
275 g all purpose flour, sifted
5 tsp cinnamon
2½ tsp clove powder
1½ tsp nutmeg powder
1½ tsp cardamom powder
1 tsp anise powder (optional)

Old 11-18-2020, 07:48 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,087 times
No sure if these have been posted , creme de menthe brownies .

Old 11-21-2020, 03:14 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Robert steak, when on occasion we did have it, Mom would marinate in soya sauce and garlic salt. Served with baked potato, green salad.

Most meat was broiled; was appalled to.learn in junior high, home economics class, one Fried steak ! Broiled hamburger, cottage cheese, salad, was considered a diet plate at a diner. This was a usual meal for us.
Casserole Dinner
1 cup white rice, 1/4 each minced onion, green pepper, 1/2 shredded almonds,
1 (4oz) can mushrooms, 4 instant chicken bouillon cubes, 2 cups water,
2 tbsp butter, salt and pepper to taste, 1 cup heated Cheddar cheese

Combine all ingredients except cheese in a saucepan. Stir well; bring to a boil.
Pour into a greased 1 1/2 at. casserole dish, covered tightly. Bake in 375* oven for 30 minutes. Uncover gently stir in cheese. Serves 4 to 5.

Note: Fresh onion, I use, about 1/3-1/2 cup?, mushrooms, fresh, an amount you desire
For myself omit green pepper and almonds. Bruce, my late MN husband enjoyed Meat !
This recipe, he didn't miss the meat ! Served the casserole with a green salad.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:08 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
That's Ribeye, the butcher told mom that it had the most flavor, also Mom always purchased a cross rib roast and a watermelon roast (only one in a side of beef?) Medium rare temperature.

In the 1950's living in Oakland, California, Mom shopped at a small market around the
corner from our home. Rarely, she shopped at a supermarket. This Thread brings back
a lot of memories.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:33 AM

1,400 posts, read 766,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My mother made a casserole she called Cheese Fondue. I suspect that it was like macaroni and cheese, only it had cubes of bread. It was a gooey cheesy thing that puffed up as it baked. It was about my favorite thing, but I’ve never found a recipe that was quite the same. I don’t know what kind of cheese she used and there might have been a bit of paprika on it.

Back in the 50s, a dish like that, or Mac and cheese, was the main course.
I hope this is helpful and not scandalous, is it possible that your Mom used Velveeta? My mother made a dish that consisted of a big block of Velveeta cheese (melted) with sliced green stuffed olives in it, served over buttered toast covered with slices of hard boiled eggs on them. And yes, it was seasoned with paprika and pepper This was before people were concerned about cholesterol. People were just grateful to have food.

Last edited by Nancy739; 11-26-2020 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 04:47 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I hope this is helpful and not scandalous, is it possible that your Mom used Velveeta? My mother made a dish that consisted of a big block of Velveeta cheese (melted) with sliced green stuffed olives in it, served over buttered toast covered with slices of hard boiled eggs on them. And yes, it was seasoned with paprika and pepper This was before people were concerned about cholesterol. People were just grateful to have food.
It is possible. I don’t mind Velveeta OR Cheez whiz either....they have their place. Pioneer Woman has a recipe for roasted cabbage with CheezWhiz sauce that is really good.

Old 01-10-2022, 08:14 PM

46 posts, read 50,236 times
I've enjoyed reading all these recipes! Just reminded me of something I found on the internet years ago with vintage cookbooks. I'm not sure if this is the same link I'm thinking of, but looks pretty interesting. It's a link to 82 vintage cookbooks.

https://repository.duke.edu/dc/eaa?_...sing+Cookbooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes