Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 08:11 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,266,024 times

Advertisements

I'm a fan of the Great British Baking Show. I'm amazed the the variety of sponge cakes they make. I'd like to try one that's fairly simple with basic ingredients and get away from using boxed cake mixes. Any ideas and recipes? Is cake flour important to use instead of regular flour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:17 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Yes on cake flour, as you will read in this recipe. The simplicity is in the very few ingredients.

https://aseasyasapplepie.com/italian...pan-di-spagna/

Old 12-08-2020, 09:37 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm a fan of the Great British Baking Show. I'm amazed the the variety of sponge cakes they make. I'd like to try one that's fairly simple with basic ingredients and get away from using boxed cake mixes. Any ideas and recipes? Is cake flour important to use instead of regular flour?
Many of the very simple recipes are deceptively simple, because while there may only be 4 ingredients, you really have to nail the technique.

Many sponge recipes popular in the UK, such as the genoise, use little to no raising agent like baking powder or soda. The rise comes from whipping the eggs until foamy and carefully incorporating the flour (absolutely must be sifted, slowly), without deflating the eggs. Overmix and it will be rubbery, under mix and it may be too much like a soufflé with big chunks of flour here and there.

https://natashaskitchen.com/easy-sponge-cake-genoise/

I really like this recipe, I’ve used it successfully several times. It does call for 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder so it’s not a traditional recipe, but it’s more forgiving without sacrificing the unique texture of a genoise. Sorry, it’s one of those where you have to scroll all the way down for the actual recipe, but I would read her technical guidance if you decide to make it and haven’t done one of these before.

Her recipe does call for AP flour and I’ve used both AP and cake flour for this one and it turned out perfect both times IMO. Just stay away from bread flour! My only modification to this recipe was to add 1tsp pure vanilla extract. Because of how many eggs sponges require, they can taste a bit like... eggs. The vanilla helps temper that. You wouldn’t necessarily need the vanilla if the recipe was for say a chocolate sponge or some other flavor.

Old 12-09-2020, 04:37 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
My ex wife makes one of the best angel food cakes (and red velvet cakes) I've ever tasted. She only uses regular flour. Couldn't tell you her recipe. All I was allowed to do in helping was to sift the flour. One part that made her nervous was after she took it out of the oven. She keeps an old soft drink bottle that she'd stick in the top hole of the pan, flip it quickly, and leave the cake, still in the pan setting up side down. Said it helped it come loose from the pan easier.

Old 12-09-2020, 05:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
One part that made her nervous was after she took it out of the oven. She keeps an old soft drink bottle that she'd stick in the top hole of the pan, flip it quickly, and leave the cake, still in the pan setting up side down. Said it helped it come loose from the pan easier.
Actually, the big reason why angel food needs to cool upside down is that if it doesn’t it will collapse in the middle giving it a sorta wonky appearance. It will still taste great though. I’m sure it does also make it easier to remove from the tin.

Old 12-10-2020, 02:04 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Actually, the big reason why angel food needs to cool upside down is that if it doesn’t it will collapse in the middle giving it a sorta wonky appearance. It will still taste great though. I’m sure it does also make it easier to remove from the tin.
Hey, I'm just a husband (well, ex in her case). What do I know?? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes