Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:23 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times

Advertisements

Every now and again I buy my own beef brisket and brine it myself but we always turn it into pastrami. I've never bought sliced corned beef, or canned. I have bought the pre-brined brisket once or twice, but man is it hard to beat homemade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 08:50 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Threerun, are you doing anything more than brining the brisket, packing it in cracked pepper and smoking it?

I make a darn good home made corned beef, but have never tried to make pastrami. But my son just got a good smoker so pastrami is on the to-do list.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Threerun, are you doing anything more than brining the brisket, packing it in cracked pepper and smoking it?

I make a darn good home made corned beef, but have never tried to make pastrami. But my son just got a good smoker so pastrami is on the to-do list.
Pretty much! I use the same brine recipe as I use for my goose pastrami. I have a dedicated 5 gal food bucket and I use that to brine in. Usually make it in the winter when I can set my garage temps to 38deg. I let it brine 5-7 days, turning it every day.

Take it out, place it on a rack and let it drip dry. Turn it as you go. I let it dry a full 24hrs (again in garage).

Take the corned beef and trim it to your liking (saving the scrap for corned beef stew), brush or wipe down with wine (or beer) and then I roll it in a combination of coarsely ground black pepper and coriander. Then smoke it! When it's done, I'll carve the brisket into hunks, then vacuum seal it. To serve I follow the Katz's Deli method- boil the pastrami for 15-20 minutes, slice thickly and make pastrami ruebens. Oddly the pepper and coriander remain largely intact thru the boiling process, but the boil draws out the salt a bit.

Here's my goose pastrami

Old 12-11-2020, 05:14 AM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times
How is the sauerkraut prepared?

Old 12-11-2020, 05:40 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Salt Beef or Corned Beef has been popular in a number of countries and there are numerous way to serve it, however the salt beef sandwich remains a favourite.

We’re Obsessed With This British Version of Corned Beef - The Nosher

There are all kinds of salt beef sandwich outlets and different corned beef/salt beef recipes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwkuoiuDIIY

Old 12-11-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
How is the sauerkraut prepared?
How do you mean?

We ferment our own so it's from the jar to the sammy. I assemble the sammy, pastrami on one side and cheese and then sauerkraut on the other and I pop it in the toaster oven just to warm it all up.

If you want to see what pastrami should look like- https://katzsdelicatessen.com/sliced-pastrami.html

Katz deli in NYC- one of the best if not the best. The deli made infamous by Meg Ryan in 'When Harry Met Sally'.

Last edited by Threerun; 12-11-2020 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-11-2020, 09:05 PM

61,669 posts, read 87,060,489 times
I meant ... it's raw/fermented? Cooked? Seasoned? Warm? Cold?

Old 12-11-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I meant ... it's raw/fermented? Cooked? Seasoned? Warm? Cold?
Fermented placed on bread and warmed in the toaster oven before eating. No seasonings- just naturally fermented garden grown cabbage. We ferment our own sour dills too.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:15 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Define "store bought."

Canned corned beef is good for hash and maybe a few other sloppy dishes. That is about it.

Deli corned beef - be wary on this. Some deli corned beef is NOT an intact brisket, but more akin to Arby beef that has been consolidated and made into a loaf. That stuff is about as exciting as pablum, and with as much taste.

If you have real sliced CB in the fridge, wrap it as tight as a papoose until use instead of leaving it in the deli wrap. Personally, I like a thick enough cut for some chew, not paper thin. Heat briefly to bring out the aroma, serve with horseradish, mayo, and/or a good mustard. The pepper and salt on the exterior of the brisket are a big part of the flavor. Don't cut off the cap.

If you have a good knife and skill, you might try getting it as a chunk rather than pre-sliced.
What I mean is from the deli counter, sliced, like a restaurant serves you. How do you heat briefly, on a saucepan with oil, or boil in pot of water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm not really sure what you are asking, so if you need more information, let us all know. Someone here will know the answer.
Basically I am asking, how do I make for myself corned beef that tastes as good as restaurants without actually making the corned beef from scratch.

Whenever I buy deli cold cuts from the supermarket, it never ends up tasting as good as if I had the same deli just make me a sandwich right then and there. Why is that? What do I have to do to the meat I buy after leaving it in refrigerator? It is the same meat the deli/restaurants use to make me a sandwich, and they too keep it cold to preserve it. What am I not doing? It is literally Boars Head. I can see the packaging when they bring meat over to slicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Are you talking, joints, pre-sliced, or canned?
Sliced corned beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I THINK he's talking about the stuff you get at the deli vs. the stuff you buy in the store and cook yourself. The cold cut one has a totally different texture. I always found that odd. Wonder if the cold cut one is not made from brisket.

As far as the canned one goes, my mother made this godawful thing called corned beef casserole, and I was the only one of the kids who hated it. It was canned corned beef, cream of chicken soup, and egg noodles with crushed potato chips on top baked in an oven. It looked like puke to me. I never could get it down.

Therefore, if the OP means canned, you make it taste good by tossing it in the trash and calling for a pizza.
Exactly, the stuff you buy at deli sliced, or the stuff the diners serve. I doubt the diners make their own corned beef from scratch. Their menus are so huge. There is too much work to do. It is literally Boars Head. I can see packaging when they are slicing it.

Does Boars Head have a virtual monopoly on cold cuts?

Old 12-12-2020, 12:05 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
I put it in the microwave and use low power to heat it until it's just warmish. If it still seems dry, put it in a strainer and steam over barely simmering water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes