Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:55 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times

Advertisements

Hello FOOD FORUM FRIENDS!

Are you all making or have you made already a 12th Night CAKE, British Christmas Cake? With or
without fondant icing & or marzipan? Have you had it before?

EPIPHANY CAKE 12th NIGHT CAKE Or a Gallette des ROIS? Rosca de REYES? January 6, 2021!

The 12th Night Cake is probably the ancestor to the America Fruit Cake, but not quite the same,
because the British have the British Christmas Cake with fondant icing & or marzipan, the
fruit cake is a different recipe that they have on Dec. 25th. While the 12th Night Cake they
have in January (like the one in the video below).

Some people, especially in Louisiana & other parts of the US will have the Gallette des ROIS from Januaary 5th or 6th until Mardi Gras-Fat Tuesday (prior to Lent)
Also known in Spanish as Rosca de REYES ROIS & REYES=KING (The 3 KINGS or WISE MEN)

People all over the world, including the USA, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Germany, Russia, Romania, Mexico, Latin America, The Philippines, etc. etc. etc Are CELEBRATING:

The 12th NIGHT of CHRISTMAS, the FEAST of the EPIPHANY, the 3 KINGS DAY, the 3 WISE MEN & or

CHRISTMAS itself!

The Orthodox Christians, Eastern Catholics, Roman Catholics, High Liturgical Christians (Anglicans, Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc.) are still CELEBRATING the HOLIDAYS (and get time off from work) They have parades, exchange gifts, etc. It is a good way to take our minds off of COVID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLFvA_ozB54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj80...ature=emb_logo
EASY GALETTE DES ROIS Recipe - Sweet Almond Filling (Epiphany Cake)

HAPPY 3 KINGS DAY!

HAPPY FEAST DAY of THE EPIPHANY!

HAPPY 12th Night of CHRISTMAS!!!

There is also a TRADITION to place a bean, coin, token, crown or ceramic BABY JESUS inside the cake or Gallette.

Supposedly, the individual who gets the "SURPRISE" (hopefully without breaking a tooth) gets to HOST
the party the following year, or on CANDLEMAS, Feb. 2nd (Truly the END of the Christmas Season)

Other people say they get to be KING or Queen for the day Either way they are all lovely TRADITIONS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 02:05 PM

126,276 posts, read 19,048,524 times
countrylv22 I am not familiar with those cakes in the English speaking version but I remember mother used to bake around this time the Dreikönigskuchen/Three King’s Cake when I was little.We also had girls and boys coming from house to house singing and in return they received home baked sweets or golden coins handed out by my mother.

https://baketotheroots.de/dreikonigs...ka-kings-cake/

Old 01-06-2021, 02:27 PM

Talking Thank you so much, ALMRAUSCH! I appreciate it!

Dear ALMRAUSCH!!

That is exactly what I wanted to hear about. Family Holiday traditions from all over the world!
The link & picture that you posted is very COOL & looks tasty!! Thank you!

The German version seems similar to the version that is eaten in some other countries. I think it is similar
to what they have in New Orleans & maybe in Mexico as well.

So, I think at the end of the day, there is the British version, that seems like it is the ancestor to the American fruit cake.
The French version Gallette des ROIS

The German version & possibly the Mexican version Seems like a sweet bread like/dough. I think it is also similar to what they make in Louisiana. In Louisiana they keep eating & ordering from bakeries until Mardi Gras. The Mexican & Lousiana versions I believe look like a wreath & they are a sweet bread with icing of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
countrylv22 I am not familiar with those cakes in the English speaking version but I remember mother used to bake around this time the Dreikönigskuchen/Three King’s Cake when I was little.We also had girls and boys coming from house to house singing and in return they received home baked sweets or golden coins handed out by my mother.

https://baketotheroots.de/dreikonigs...ka-kings-cake/
Oh, I hope that you are keeping these family traditions alive. I truly love how your Mother celebrated the Feast of the EPIPHANY! YAY!! HAPPY THREE KING'S DAY!! CHEERS!! I also like going from house to house! Very Nice! Hey, any reason to keep celebrating & baking is very cool to me!

Old 01-06-2021, 02:34 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
My Mother, who grew up in Ireland, always called the Epiphany "Womens Christmas" She said that after all the hard work cooking & baking for the large families they had, over Christmas, the women took the day off & gathered to have tea & cakes with each other. My grandma & the neighboring ladies would enjoy each other & their baking. I think it's a beautiful tradition.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:48 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for your contribution! I appreciate it!

Dear EVENING SUN

Thanks for your lovely post & contribution!

I love hearing of traditions from all over the world, especially from Europe!

And you are right, it is a BEAUTIFUL & LOVELY TRADITION! Remember that they made EVERYTHING from scratch! And that is why it all tasted better!

And they made a ton of cakes, cookies, pies to last for weeks.
That is why several recipes have some form of liquor for preservation. Thank you! EPIPHANY REPS going your way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
My Mother, who grew up in Ireland, always called the Epiphany "Womens Christmas" She said that after all the hard work cooking & baking for the large families they had, over Christmas, the women took the day off & gathered to have tea & cakes with each other. My grandma & the neighboring ladies would enjoy each other & their baking. I think it's a beautiful tradition.
HAPPY EPIPHANY!

HAPPY FEAST OF THE THREE KINGS!

HAPPY FEAST OF THE THREE WISE MEN!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021, EVERYONE!

HAPPY EPIPHANY SEASON!!

Old 01-07-2021, 01:00 PM

Talking Happy EPIPHANY SEASON!!:) A BLESSED EPIPHANY HOLIDAY TO ALL!

HAPPY EPIPHANY SEASON!

EPIPHANY is not just a DAY, it is a SEASON

Here are some videos with the THRE KINGS PARADE on the EPIPHANY, with LIVE real KINGS & CAMELS

And a flock of GEESE Soo cute!

The children receive treats, gifts & toys from the 3 KINGS on this SPECIAL DAY. And throughout the SEASON.

They also enjoy the ROSCA DE REYES CAKE/BREAD THE THREE KINGS CAKE!Cheers & Blessings!

Madrid Three Kings parade - Cabalgata de los Reyes Magos Madrid Spain tourism - Spanish travel video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKhsjj58Cv4

Spain celebrates Three Kings’ Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUMC-SHODWI

HAPPY EPIPHANY SEASON!

Have any of you made a 12th NIGHT CAKE, GALLETTE des ROIS, ROSCA de REYES, THREE KINGS CAKE?

What are your family EPIPHANY FOOD traditions for the Season of EPIPHANY?

Please share your childhood traditions & or what you're doing now Thank you so much!

A VERY SPECIAL HAPPY CHRISTMAS DAY & SEASON

to our ORTHODOX FRIENDS, POSTERS, BRETHREN CHEERS & BLESSINGS TO ALL!

Old 01-07-2021, 02:09 PM

Talking Three KINGS BREAD-EPIPHANY BREAD!!-HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!:)

Three Kings Bread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTp8tOg6Ovc

HAPPY EPIPHANY SEASON TO ALL!

HAPPY CHRISTMAS SEASON TO ALL!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021 TO ALL!!

BLESSINGS & GOOD HEALTH TO ALL IN THE FOOD FORUM SECTION!!

Thank you to ALL for sharing your HOLIDAY TRADITIONS!

Old 01-07-2021, 07:55 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Dear ALMRAUSCH!!

That is exactly what I wanted to hear about. Family Holiday traditions from all over the world!
The link & picture that you posted is very COOL & looks tasty!! Thank you!

The German version seems similar to the version that is eaten in some other countries. I think it is similar
to what they have in New Orleans & maybe in Mexico as well.

So, I think at the end of the day, there is the British version, that seems like it is the ancestor to the American fruit cake.
The French version Gallette des ROIS

The German version & possibly the Mexican version Seems like a sweet bread like/dough. I think it is also similar to what they make in Louisiana. In Louisiana they keep eating & ordering from bakeries until Mardi Gras. The Mexican & Lousiana versions I believe look like a wreath & they are a sweet bread with icing of course

Oh, I hope that you are keeping these family traditions alive. I truly love how your Mother celebrated the Feast of the EPIPHANY! YAY!! HAPPY THREE KING'S DAY!! CHEERS!! I also like going from house to house! Very Nice! Hey, any reason to keep celebrating & baking is very cool to me!
Not food related but from December 26th on, my sisters and I would move the three wise men figures closer and closer to the Nativity Scene. Although they did not arrive that year, it made the celebration of Epiphany more real to us as children.

I remember that a gg aunt of my dad, would make a cake that was not terribly sweet, but it involved marzipan. If we saw Tante Hilda on Christmas, we would freeze it and enjoy it on Epiphany.
I wish I had her recipes. Sadly, when she passed, she did not leave her recipes. Neither did my grandmothers.

My mother made a 1960s version that was easy. It was not as good, but it was sweet so we liked it.

This year I was not up to baking as much - or cooking. But, I'd like to resurect the tradition next year.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
https://www.forbes.com/sites/claudia...h=b92173c57b13

And all week long, the various Tucson Mexican markets have been selling Rosca de Reyes cakes. I normally would have purchased a small one - most were for 25+ people. However, we have had so many sweet items in the past month that we decided to give it a break.

Old 01-10-2021, 12:37 PM

Thumbs up Thank you for this AMAZING POST! BLESSINGS!!

DEAR SHEENA

What a BEAUTIFUL POST!! I LOVE IT!! Thanks for SHARING your HOLIDAY, CHRISTMAS, EPIPHANY TRADITIONS!!

Actually my family did the same thing & I still do

By moving the Three Wise Men closer each day, the ANTICIPATION increases & makes it ALL more tangible, real. And that is why you still remember it.

When we see, hear, eat, enjoy DELICIOUS HOLIDAY SMELLS, the memories are entrenched in our heart, souls FOREVER We are involving ALL of our SENSES! And that is a good thing!

That is WHY it is SO IMPORTANT to keep OUR HOLIDAY TRADITIONS ALIVE!! So, we can pass it along to our nieces, nephews, children, grandchildren, neighbors, friends, etc.

My Grandmother had an ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN family living next door & I learned so much from them because they kept their family traditions ALIVE & WELL! Jewish people are great at doing this.

We ALSO must PRESERVE ALL of these traditions, memories ALIVE, it is our HERITAGE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Not food related but from December 26th on, my sisters and I would move the three wise men figures closer and closer to the Nativity Scene. Although they did not arrive that year, it made the celebration of Epiphany more real to us as children.

I remember that a gg aunt of my dad, would make a cake that was not terribly sweet, but it involved marzipan. If we saw Tante Hilda on Christmas, we would freeze it and enjoy it on Epiphany.
I wish I had her recipes. Sadly, when she passed, she did not leave her recipes. Neither did my grandmothers.

My mother made a 1960s version that was easy. It was not as good, but it was sweet so we liked it.

This year I was not up to baking as much - or cooking. But, I'd like to resurect the tradition next year.
I wish that you could some how get a hold of that old recipe from your GG, to share with us.

HAVE A BLESSED, HAPPY EPIPHANY SEASON!!

A BLESSED & HAPPY NEW YEAR 2021!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes