Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 05:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,964 times

Advertisements

When it comes to dried seasoning, without a recipe how do you determine when to use one versus the other?

A couple of days ago, I found a new recipe on a baker's website. The site is not for baked sweets and breads but also entrees and side dishes. The recipe I chose is actually very simple to make. One of the ingredients was parsley. From my seasonings cabinet I accidentally picked up chives and just as I picked open the lid of the bottle to add the dried herbs to the recipe, I noticed that it was chives and stopped.

I thought they were both primarily just garnishes for decorative purposes. But it cause me to wonder, how much difference in the taste of a dish if chives are used instead of parsley, or vice-versa? Does anyone here use these seasonings when cooking certain foods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 05:44 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
Chives have an oniony flavor where as parsley does not. I use chives in eggs, dips, salad dressings. I use Parsley (fresh) in my meatballs, on fish.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:48 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I don't find that dried chives or parsley have much flavor at all, and are, as you said, primarily to add color.

Fresh? One tastes green or herbaceous, and the other tastes like onions or garlic depending on the type of chive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-23-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Chives have an oniony flavor where as parsley does not. I use chives in eggs, dips, salad dressings. I use Parsley (fresh) in my meatballs, on fish.
Very helpful distinction, thanks. I use chives on baked potatoes. A while back I tried making Texas garlic toast from scratch and on the bread I spread butter, garlic powder, and chives. I think I actually was supposed to have used parsley instead of chives.

Parsley seems to be a garnish to window dress food. I love using it but don't discern a flavor from it. However, I generally am a person who likes spicy food so maybe parsley has a lighter taste which escapes my taste buds?

Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't find that dried chives or parsley have much flavor at all, and are, as you said, primarily to add color.

Fresh? One tastes green or herbaceous, and the other tastes like onions or garlic depending on the type of chive.
That's probably the issue. I buy them as dried seasonings. I've never tried either fresh because I always think they'll go bad before I have time to use the batch I purchase.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:01 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Two easy recipes that will give you the taste of fresh parsley are gremolata and parsley potatoes. Or sole meuniere if you like fish.

Old 01-25-2021, 06:09 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Parsley seems to be a garnish to window dress food. I love using it but don't discern a flavor from it. However, I generally am a person who likes spicy food so maybe parsley has a lighter taste which escapes my taste buds?
I tend to agree with this. I like spicy heat, I like salt, I like chives, but parsley, any parsley has very little flavor to me. My daughter does not not like spicy or salty foods at all, she loves the taste of parsley and says can taste the difference between types of parsley. We are also completely opposite on cilantro, she loves it, I can barely stand it, so I think for some of us parsley just doesn't register in the same way other spices do.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:09 AM

17,339 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Very helpful distinction, thanks. I use chives on baked potatoes. A while back I tried making Texas garlic toast from scratch and on the bread I spread butter, garlic powder, and chives. I think I actually was supposed to have used parsley instead of chives.

Fresh parsley is used a lot in Italian cooking and it's never used as garnish unless you might be in an American restaurant pretending to have Italian food. It does add noticeable flavor to food. That said, American parsley is very different than Italian parsley. American parsley is virtually flavorless with curly small leaves. Italian parsley has flat larger leaves. It has a distinctive herb smell and looks similar to coriander (cilantro). So it really depends on which parsley you use.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:31 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Parsley can be flavorful, thinking of Tabbouleh, which I love.

I also love chives, but I rarely buy either one fresh, unless I know I will use the entire bunch within a day or two.

Old 01-26-2021, 03:43 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
If I wanted chives I could just step outside and pluck a handful of onion grass ( a weed around here). Mostly, I use finely chopped green onions instead. During the warmer months I grow parsley and basil and oregano and thyme in pots on my back deck (close to the kitchen, away from the deer).

I used to use dried chives sometimes, but I agree that they have almost no flavor. Dried parsley is a little better, and it can be a "rescue" herb if something is too spicy or bold in flavor, and can't be salvaged any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes