Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 04:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

I've seen very pricey, very small bags of potatoes for $5 for a couple of lbs, or less & was wondering if people use them & like them? Also, I see varieties... small bags of fingerlings, purple alone or bags of mixed colors. I'd like to give one/some a try.

I looked up info & it appears you don't need to peel them. Some complained that purple potatoes have tougher skins with a bitter taste... others said they're fine.

I was wondering what is the best way to prepare them? Roasting in oven with beef/poultry, boiled with skins on, mashed with skins off?

Do you have any fave recipes & do you leave skins on or peel?
Do you use them more than any other types of potatoes or as a treat?
Are they more a novelty... basically a guest dinner cuz when roasted they look pretty on the plate?
Do they taste far different from Russets or Gold?

If you wouldn't mind sharing any experiences with them, I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 06:15 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
The whole idea is to leave the skin on. Lightly boil them, play on the color. I'm not a great fan because of the cost vs. return for the $.

What I have discovered is that I can take a few small potatoes with nice skin, wash and microwave them until just barely done (jacket on), refrigerate, use a sour cream dip and a little salt, and have them as a snack food. I had to get past the idea of cold potatoes, but they are quite tasty and much better for me than potato chips as well as being more filling. Much of the mineral vitamin content in a potato is in the skin.

We are SO used to standard ways of eating, that we often miss the obvious. Potatoes are a starch and a vehicle for other stronger flavors, just like bread or pasta. Jicama and other root veggies, are often under-utilized because of ourho-hum standard thinking. I readily admit to falling into that trap.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:31 PM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The whole idea is to leave the skin on. Lightly boil them, play on the color. I'm not a great fan because of the cost vs. return for the $.

What I have discovered is that I can take a few small potatoes with nice skin, wash and microwave them until just barely done (jacket on), refrigerate, use a sour cream dip and a little salt, and have them as a snack food. I had to get past the idea of cold potatoes, but they are quite tasty and much better for me than potato chips as well as being more filling. Much of the mineral vitamin content in a potato is in the skin.

We are SO used to standard ways of eating, that we often miss the obvious. Potatoes are a starch and a vehicle for other stronger flavors, just like bread or pasta. Jicama and other root veggies, are often under-utilized because of ourho-hum standard thinking. I readily admit to falling into that trap.
I like that idea

Old 02-26-2021, 09:02 PM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I've seen very pricey, very small bags of potatoes for $5 for a couple of lbs, or less & was wondering if people use them & like them? Also, I see varieties... small bags of fingerlings, purple alone or bags of mixed colors. I'd like to give one/some a try.

I looked up info & it appears you don't need to peel them. Some complained that purple potatoes have tougher skins with a bitter taste... others said they're fine.

I was wondering what is the best way to prepare them? Roasting in oven with beef/poultry, boiled with skins on, mashed with skins off?

Do you have any fave recipes & do you leave skins on or peel?
Do you use them more than any other types of potatoes or as a treat?
Are they more a novelty... basically a guest dinner cuz when roasted they look pretty on the plate?
Do they taste far different from Russets or Gold?

When I'm lucky enough to score some of those little potatoes, I generally give them a good bath and leave the jackets on the potatoes.

I then chop up a fair amount of garlic, add herbs (herbes de Provence are nice in conjunction with a bit of paprika), kosher salt, and pepper to a heavy dose of oil (olive, canola, grapeseed--whatever you have on hand).

I then cut the washed potatoes in half, toss them in the garlic/herb/oil mix, spread them on a cookie sheet, and roast them at 350-375 degrees until lightly caramelized, crispy-skinned, and cooked through. I give them a stir from time to time during roasting process so that they cook evenly. If I'm feeling naughty, I microplane a bit of Parmesan, Romano, or Asiago on the potatoes when they come out of the oven.

They're also nice added whole toward the end of the cooking time for roasted chicken, beef, pork, etc.

These potatoes are a rare treat as they're kind of pricey for what they are, so they usually only make appearance on the table when I find them on sale, I want a special treat, or the meal is a special one when I don't mind spending a bit of extra money on food.

As Harry noted, like other starches such as pasta, bread, and rice, potatoes are a neutral vehicle for other flavors. You can't really go wrong--feel free to experiment with other herbs, curry powder, Cajun or Italian seasoning...

They also make an interesting and very pretty skin-on potato salad. Skip the mayo and use sour cream with a dash of cider vinegar and/or pickle juice as the base. Add thinly sliced red onion or scallions, garlic powder, dill, salt, and pepper to the sour cream mixture then toss it with boiled baby potatoes that you cut in half after boiling. This is really good with chicken, fish, or lamb.

Old 02-26-2021, 09:52 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I love fingerling potatoes. I generally prepare them in a very simple way -wash, cut in half the long way, toss in enough olive oil to coat, sprinkle with salt andpepper to taste and roast cut side down at about 425 degrees for about 20 min or until the cut side has lightly browned and the potatoes are soft when poked with a fork. Yum. Of coursge you can experiment with seasonings like garlic, parsley, cumin, paprika........many possibilities.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:23 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I love them roasted, too, and they cook fast and are lovely. Toss them in olive oil and add any seasonings that make you happy and in less than half an hour at 400 or so, they have a crisp side, a healthy skin, and a potato-y inside. You can do them whole and just smash them halfway (press with bottom of a glass), which is kind of fun.

To save money, you can just cut the big ones into smaller pieces and do the same. Try them with olive oil and some Lipton dry onion soup mix. I've had piles of compliments that I'm almost ashamed to accept.

Old 02-27-2021, 03:44 AM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I love them roasted, too, and they cook fast and are lovely. Toss them in olive oil and add any seasonings that make you happy and in less than half an hour at 400 or so, they have a crisp side, a healthy skin, and a potato-y inside. You can do them whole and just smash them halfway (press with bottom of a glass), which is kind of fun.

To save money, you can just cut the big ones into smaller pieces and do the same. Try them with olive oil and some Lipton dry onion soup mix. I've had piles of compliments that I'm almost ashamed to accept.
There called smashed potatoes

Old 02-27-2021, 10:17 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:

I buy 2# bags of them for $1 at 99 Only on a weekly basis. When I get them, I like to wash them and separate the purple ones as they tend to turn more quickly than the others. Also, they can affect the color of the dish that I am preparing.

Generally, for me, they go into the air fryer with some olive oil and crushed rosemary for about 15 minutes.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:47 AM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times
Some good ideas, thank you... looks like most roast/bake them.

I'll pass on cold potato dishes. I gag on potato salad. But, thank you for the ideas.

It never occurred to me to look at a dollar store. There's also an Aldi's somewhere near me... I've never been but know others find inexpensive food there. I've never seen them for less than $5/small bag.

Thank you.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
It never occurred to me to look at a dollar store. There's also an Aldi's somewhere near me... I've never been but know others find inexpensive food there. I've never seen them for less than $5/small bag.

Thank you.

99 Only is California based and buys tons of surplus produce and "over runs" in western states and Western Mexico directly from brokers. Sometimes you are getting produce that honestly, needs to be used up very quickly. And at other times, you get the same produce that you will find at Sprouts or Whole Food. (Right now, the entire surplus/salvage produce market is super saturated with organic produce that is not selling well. Most of the salvage produce that we are getting from friends has been organic for the past several weeks).

The potatoes we get are cheaper but they are sometimes misshapen. Sometimes the size of the potatoes are variable. So when I go to cook, I will separate the larger ones for boiled potatoes, stews, and of course mashed potatoes. I use the small one for roasting in the air fryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes