U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 04:40 PM

1,512 posts, read 600,190 times

Advertisements

That's my question. If I want to go as low-cal as possible for cake mix, for you experienced bakers, do you think I would be able to use applesauce instead of oil?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:19 PM

846 posts, read 273,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
That's my question. If I want to go as low-cal as possible for cake mix, for you experienced bakers, do you think I would be able to use applesauce instead of oil?
Yes you can sub applesauce (unsweetened) for oil. We do often, and it's so little there is no detectable taste.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 AM

779 posts, read 511,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post

Yes, that is an old trick that has been around for more than 50 years. It works like a charm. You won't be able to tell the difference. The applesauce keeps the cake moist and since applesauce is neutral in flavor you won't taste it. Several of my family members are diabetic. The diabetic community has been making this swap for decades to lower the amount of fat in baked goods.

Here's another simple recipe that has been around for decades and is used by diabetics to cut the amount of fat and sugar from desserts. It's a "3-2-1 mug cake." Each mug cake only has about 100 calories (compared to a regular piece of cake that have 300, 400, or even 500 calories of fat and sugar!!)

3-2-1 MUG CAKE

1 box of angel food cake mix
1 box of your favorite cake mix (any flavor-- chocolate, yellow, spice...)

1. Mix the two cake mixes together and store in a large container. This recipe will make about 25 to 30 mug cakes.

2. For a mug cake, add THREE tablespoons of mix to a mug. Add TWO tablespoons of water and stir up the mix. Microwave the mug cake for ONE minute. (3-2-1 )

This is a nice fast dessert when you want a piece of cake that is low in calories and you don't feel like baking a whole cake. It's low in fat and in sugar.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 AM

1,437 posts, read 526,506 times
Yes, I’ve used unsweetened applesauce as a substitute for oil for a long time. The cake is so moist & tastes better, whether from scratch or a mix.

I also use applesauce in sweetened breads, like banana bread, zucchini bread, pumpkin bread.

Also, when I’m lazy and need to make cookies for a gathering (pre-covid), I will sometimes make cookies from a cake mix & substitute applesauce for the oil. A really good cake mix cookie is red velvet/white chocolate chip.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM

45,603 posts, read 65,167,722 times
Yes. Great substitute.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM

18,789 posts, read 23,441,063 times
yes you can I have done it many times.

Old Today, 05:24 PM

11,823 posts, read 18,979,692 times
Do you sub the oil to apple sauce in a 1:1 ratio? Half cup of oil subbed with half cup of apple sauce?

Old Today, 06:22 PM

1,437 posts, read 526,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Do you sub the oil to apple sauce in a 1:1 ratio? Half cup of oil subbed with half cup of apple sauce?
That is what I do, I must have read about that ratio a long time ago. The consistency of commercial applesauce is very thin, I keep a jar on hand just for baking.

Be sure to buy unsweetened applesauce, you don't need the extra sugar, or, ugh, high fructose corn syrup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes