U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:22 PM

7,531 posts, read 4,605,028 times

Advertisements

Is it the fact that theoretically, every piece can be identical? The same holds true of round cakes. Please explain, because it sounds like they are sort of a pain to make well. Seems like cupcakes would do as well in that regard.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2021, 05:40 PM

1,331 posts, read 366,342 times
Nostalgia mostly now. The shapes are interesting, you wouldn't believe how many shapes they come in. Because of the discussion, I'm getting targeted ads on a couple of other sites and I saw a pan I'd never seen.before - an OCTOPUS. They also.did come up with some pretty good flavor combos.

Someone I know has a pan with honeycomb shapes and bee forms. She makes her special honey cake in it.

Old 05-03-2021, 06:09 PM

10,951 posts, read 6,904,125 times
In addition to the above reasons, the center hole means there is less of a chance that the interior of the cake will be underdone. Each piece has increased surface area for frosting or glaze compared to a square or round cake, and yes, every piece will be the same shape and have the same toppings. Kids won't whine that they didn't get a corner piece while adults put in their request for a middle one.

Even with their recent wave of popularity, which seems to be pretty much over at least in my area, cupcakes still give a "little kid birthday party" vibe. Are you supposed to hold them in your hand to eat them (childish and messy)? Or depaper them and put on a plate, then eat with a fork (making them really no different from a regular cake except more work)? It's also harder to give someone a larger piece or a smaller piece, if you only have cupcakes.

I like making cakes in a bundt pan. You need to generously grease and flour the WHOLE inside. That is the only part that is a pain. If you miss a crease, the cake will stick there. And you have to let it cool adequately on a rack before you try to take the cake out.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:28 PM

31,802 posts, read 38,062,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Is it the fact that theoretically, every piece can be identical? The same holds true of round cakes. Please explain, because it sounds like they are sort of a pain to make well. Seems like cupcakes would do as well in that regard.
Bundt cakes are easy. And they are usually very moist and flavorful. No need for frosting or anything really.
But if you want, all kinds of ways to top it. Even just a simple dusting of confectioners sugar. And simple to cut into nice even slices, or large ones for those that want more.

Where do you get the idea that they are a pain to make? You seriously have never made a bundt cake?

Old 05-03-2021, 09:06 PM

7,531 posts, read 4,605,028 times
All of you made interesting points: the different shapes, no risk of an underdone center, the greater surface area for frosting, and the moistness (though wouldn’t that be a function of the recipe more than anything else?).

ChessieMom, my impression of them being harder to make right is based only on seeing other threads here and elsewhere bemoaning troubles making them. NOT based on my own experience, because I don’t bake cakes at all. I got the impression long ago that cakes, period, were hard to make well. Sob stories of fallen cakes or soggy messes or layers that tore upon being frosted did not make me want to try it.

On second thought, I’d always feared baking yeast bread due to the horror stories about various failures with that. But I love bread (not so much with cake) and finally tried my hand at it. It is actually pretty easy, after all. So maybe the horror stories about making any kind of food should be ignored! Still, I think I’ll stick with breads and, occasionally, cookies or similar small desserts. ‘Cuz for the few times I eat it, I’d rather buy a piece of someone’s signature pastry anyway—it’s kind of a special-occasion thing to me.

Last edited by pikabike; 05-03-2021 at 09:15 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 09:32 AM

Well if you ever want to try, this recipe right here is one of the best I’ve ever made, or eaten. I got a marriage proposal once from someone that tried it LOL.

Nothing sacred about the recipe, it’s all over the ‘net, and for good reason. Super easy and ridiculously delicious.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/triple...-recipe-101366

I wanted to add, that just because you see stories of failure does not mean it’s a difficult thing. It usually means the person did something stupid and did not follow directions. It’s seriously easy. But there will always be people that can’t seem to make anything to save their life. Some people should never get near a kitchen LOL.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:50 AM

27,033 posts, read 36,384,176 times
One of the important aspects of good cooking is visual. A good cook turns out food that looks good. People like to be served food that looks good.

A Bundt cake looks good. It looks stylish. It looks like it took more work than it did to make it.

Not everyone can make a bundt cake, mostly because few people actually own a bundt pan, so the cake looks like a fancy specialty item. In fact, I suspect that a bundt is a specialty item, make when there is going to be company to share it with (and show off a little bit).

Old 05-04-2021, 02:31 PM

21,183 posts, read 26,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No. They are EASY to make! And the baker doesn't have to be a frosting artist - or an experienced baker to produce a delicious, moist cake that feeds a crowd. And they make a much better table presentation than a sheet cake.

They aren't tricky at all. Unlike layer cakes which require some minor skill, a teenager can bake a presentable and delicious Bundt cake with ease.

The best brand cake pan is Nordic. They have some fanciful shapes that lend themselves well to making a nice table presentation. Frosting and icing are not not always needed. A generous sprinkle of confectioners sugar will do the trick.

A good Bundt cake is rich and most, so topping isn't always needed. Drizzled icing works well too, and again you do not need to be terribly artistic.

Here's a link to the Nordic ware site - https://www.nordicware.com/bakeware Williams Sonoma carries them too, and I think they have some special styles, but they are readily available.

Last edited by sheena12; 05-04-2021 at 02:41 PM..

Old 05-04-2021, 03:23 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,786,812 times
I don't own a Bundt pan. It always seemed to me the intricate designs would be a pain to grease and flour and then later clean.
After reading the above posts I am thinking maybe I should give them a try.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I don't own a Bundt pan. It always seemed to me the intricate designs would be a pain to grease and flour and then later clean.
After reading the above posts I am thinking maybe I should give them a try.
The more intricate designs are more difficult to clean. But you don’t have to get one with such a design. There are very simply designed Bundt pans and they are pretty easy to clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes