Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,184,960 times

Advertisements

My biggest thing will be not cooking & canning so much. I'm cool with seeing my DS couple times a week it'll be hard at first when DD leaves in the fall.

I did just sort out about 100 quart jars to sell to a lady for her wedding. They are using them for glasses!! Trying to do my canning in pints now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
Yes same here,,,,,,,, little by little everything is being done in Pints ! only thing I will continue to make in Quarts is Spaghetti Sauce ...everything else will be done in Pints

Old 01-20-2013, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Yes same here,,,,,,,, little by little everything is being done in Pints ! only thing I will continue to make in Quarts is Spaghetti Sauce ...everything else will be done in Pints
Even though a lot of our canning is done with DD and I together, we use almost no quarts anymore. I agree spagheatti sause, and tomatoes. That is it and try to sell quart jars, at a garage sale, no one buys them. The other adjustment is how much to can. We have cut back from about 300 jars in the summer to about 100 or a few more. I do some canning on my own, so have a little more than DD...Even giving it away, we can only use so much...

Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM

Yup I am scaling down on how many I make as well, started out with 5 People with big appetites now down too me and 2 teens...... sometimes they are home sometimes their not sometimes I have extra Kids lol.........you know how it goes!

Old 02-23-2013, 06:02 PM

OK did 7 more pints of venison .....that stuff is soooooo good ! its like the biggest hit here lol

How is everyone doing? I cant wait for Spring I am ready for my garden.......canning........fresh fruit and Veggies who dont cost me 2 Arms and a 1 leg .....

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 PM

That is something I never have canned Jasmin glad your family is enjoying it.

I'm ready for spring as well even though I don't know if I will put out a garden or not yet. Depends on where I'll be living at the time if HOA will let me or not.

Never fear though I can get organic produce from close by to can up stuff for winter though. Yes the prices of food are really skyrocketing isn't it.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I was considering buying into a CSA but they rarely give you enough of one item to preserve it.

Garden ... yes. I have to look through what's left in the pantry to determine what needs planting. I definitely need to plant hot peppers this year and put up a batch or two of hot pepper relish. It's sooooo good on burgers and sandwiches.

I still have more mustard seeds to use this winter. I've made beer mustard and jalapeno mustard. Maybe there are some cranberries left in the freezer.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 PM

If I do get to put out a garden & can up the bounty it will just be for me my last child leaves home this fall.

In fact I've been selling and giving away my quart jars I'm just canning in pints mostly now. I will keep some to can tomato products, soup, pickles & such. This last batch of ham chunks I even did some up in half pints.

I have plenty of friends that still garden they will be sure I have enough to can up enough for me this winter. I'm so lucky.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
Does someone know if the Ball canning jars are sold somewhere in Europe ?

Old 02-24-2013, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I was considering buying into a CSA but they rarely give you enough of one item to preserve it.

Garden ... yes. I have to look through what's left in the pantry to determine what needs planting. I definitely need to plant hot peppers this year and put up a batch or two of hot pepper relish. It's sooooo good on burgers and sandwiches.

I still have more mustard seeds to use this winter. I've made beer mustard and jalapeno mustard. Maybe there are some cranberries left in the freezer.
I don't actually do hot pepper relish, but while still in NM, one year we had so much zucchini that the neighbors would hide when they say me coming, they were afraid I would give them more. So, what did I do? I made zuc relish, using the hot peppers I had grown as well. We just finished the last jar a few weeks ago, so I am guessing it was maybe, 5 years old. I will do more this year if we get enough zucchiini.

Jaxson, we too only can pints anymore except maybe a few quarts of pickles and I do quarts of tomatoes...I do pints of picks and tomatoes as well.. I also do a lot of 1/2 pints of tomato sause and jams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes