Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 08:14 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I lost a couple quarts of tomatoes this week when the jars became unsealed. The lids were the ones that were included on top of the jars in the case.

I hate the way Ball packages its jars these days.

Not using those lids again!
Think they have become like a lot of other companies they don't want their products to last for years they need us buying more supplies yearly. It is such a waste when I have jars that have been passed down in my family to me that still work fine. I've noticed for a few years now the rubber under the lids have not been as thick as they once were. Then for Ball to ship the jars with the lids & bands on them it just imprints the thinner rubber causing more failed seals. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I lost a couple quarts of tomatoes this week when the jars became unsealed. The lids were the ones that were included on top of the jars in the case.

I hate the way Ball packages its jars these days.

Not using those lids again!
wow, that sucks, I only had one that didn't set this year and it was jam, so no biggy. I just put it in the fridge. I ended up doing 6 pints of z relish yesterday. It called for 12 cups of z and I got that much out of one, oversized one. The only problem, it was so oversized and old the skin was on the tough side. I tasted the relish, and yes, it is a little tough. I am so sorry. I wish now, I had just used the smaller ones. The relish tastes and looks great. I am going to make and freeze a couple of almond/zucchini breads this afternoon I think.

Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,147,886 times
This Work thing is intrerupting my Canning !!!!!!! grrrrrr

Going to get potatoes this week,,,,,, no Luck on peaches this year BUT Apples are coming up YAH !

I had couple of Jars NOT seal or seal and then un-seal ........very frustrating !

Old 09-26-2013, 11:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times
I've got 30 quarts of apple pie filling in my cupboard. I still have another 5 gallons of apples in a bucket to can...that's about 7-8 more quarts. I thought about doing apple sauce or butter...but the family loves having pie filling handy to make a pie or a cake. Heck....it's yummy warmed up and put on top of ice cream.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've got 30 quarts of apple pie filling in my cupboard. I still have another 5 gallons of apples in a bucket to can...that's about 7-8 more quarts. I thought about doing apple sauce or butter...but the family loves having pie filling handy to make a pie or a cake. Heck....it's yummy warmed up and put on top of ice cream.
Congrats you'll love having it shelf ready for many things.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:10 AM

Our apples are just coming in,,,,,, calling my farm to see if I can get some Apples this Weekend If not doing Potatos !

been a sad Canning season,,, with Work and garden not doing well this Season.

But on the bright Side my Daughter is selling homemade Apple/ Pumpkin Pies for Culinary Class and I am buying a few of those ,, they are homemade and will offset on how many apple pie in a Jar I have to make haha. But I am doing Apple Rings this year something different. Anyone made them yet? If so what Recipe?

Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,492 times
My son and I both have pressure cookers/canners. We get together in the Fall of the year and can Jam made from berries, or vegetables. We canned salmon and in each jar tried a different spice or flavor. From Truffle Salt, to Chipotle Peppers, to Liquid Smoke and Teriyaki seasoning to Worcestershire, we tried many different kinds of spices and flavor, and recorded in a list what we had done. Turned out to be worthwhile. The salmon with the Chipotle peppers was very good with soda crackers, as was some of the other flavors. We also tried our hand at making Mincemeat and canning it, that was time consuming and alot of work, but well worth the effort. We also canned relish similar to a relish known as Chow Chow, made from red and green tomatoes, celery, onions, red and green peppers, vinegar and assorted spices. My Grandmothers recipe book had this recipe listed as Pittsville Relish. It is wonderful on any kind of meat.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:07 PM

yummmm Salmon !!!! Send me one to test would ya

Old 10-03-2013, 01:17 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
You people must have great patience. I made jam and jelly ONCE. Took a long time to clean all the sticky stuff up.

But this year I almost made beach plum jelly. The beach plums are all over the place and last year I didn't even know what they were. I found a recipe and then my husband looked at some beach plums and said they were full of tiny seeds. Said we can't be bothered. Now they are withered on the vine. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, I will try again next year and will venture out to the "forests" of beach plums myself to see what these fruits are really like.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You people must have great patience. I made jam and jelly ONCE. Took a long time to clean all the sticky stuff up.

But this year I almost made beach plum jelly. The beach plums are all over the place and last year I didn't even know what they were. I found a recipe and then my husband looked at some beach plums and said they were full of tiny seeds. Said we can't be bothered. Now they are withered on the vine. Unless anyone can tell me otherwise, I will try again next year and will venture out to the "forests" of beach plums myself to see what these fruits are really like.
It's the satisfaction of seeing all those full jars sitting in your cabinets knowing you're feeding your family food with no preservatives but salt. Also that tin cans aren't going to landfills instead I re-use my glass jars so it makes the work worth it to me.

I've never heard of beach plums I thought you had auto correct and were saying peach plums. I see it is an east coast fruit here's a link I found on them they sure look pretty.

Cape May County Beach Plum Association
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes