Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I just use a sharpie after the jars have cooled writing the date & contents on the lid. Ball made it harder when they give less free surface with no printing on them though so I started buying by the sleeves from a Amish farm. Nothing was printed on those lids I've never used labels because of have hard they are to get off.
I write on the lids also. The friends who get my relish are so happy with the relish that they don't care where I write things

Golden Harvest lids from Dollar General and Walmart have plain lids. I have used those the past two years with no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As long as it's 5 percent acidity, you can use any vinegar you like.
Thank you. I will check my vinegar.

I'll be making zucchini relish, pickles and green beans today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 08:29 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Nice pickles

I have been making yellow squash relish and zucchini relish.

I bought more jars today for canning pickles. I have never made them before.

Question time Is it OK if I use white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar for my squash relish? I forgot to get ac vinegar today
I actually prefer white vinegar. I too have made zucchini relish many times but I prefer pickle relish. And I don't care if I use green or yellow cukes. All I know is, if thins keep going as they are, I will be doing more pickles next week and probably relish. My first attempt at any kind of relish was zucchini many years ago.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:25 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
I prefer zuke relish I only have 2 pints left from my last big canning session before I moved off the farm. Now that I live alone I only use 1 or 2 pints of it a year so a canner load would last me 10 years.

I use white vinegar too mostly.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:44 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I've never made zucchini relish ... Something else to try! I made a small batch of hot pepper relish last night, 4 half pints.

Love making small batches - need only to wash a few jars, don't need to haul out the big canner, and it takes less than an hour to prepare ingredients, get the mess in the jars, and process.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I've never made zucchini relish ... Something else to try! I made a small batch of hot pepper relish last night, 4 half pints.

Love making small batches - need only to wash a few jars, don't need to haul out the big canner, and it takes less than an hour to prepare ingredients, get the mess in the jars, and process.
Hey I should start canning zuke relish in half pints and jelly/jam too. I'll have to watch for any to go on sale I mostly saved pints & a few quarts for tomato stuff.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM

So far I made 12 half pints of zucchini relish and 11 pints of bread and butter pickles. I am waiting on the green beans right now. They are in the pressure canner. I have 10 pints and it looks like I will have enough for 10 more pints after this batch. I had no idea how much I would get.

About my pickles…which is the first time I have made them. I thought I packed them really well but the jars are abut 3/4 pickles and the rest liquid I had the same problem with my apple pie filling. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I actually prefer white vinegar. I too have made zucchini relish many times but I prefer pickle relish. And I don't care if I use green or yellow cukes. All I know is, if thins keep going as they are, I will be doing more pickles next week and probably relish. My first attempt at any kind of relish was zucchini many years ago.
I have never made the pickle relish. I may have to try a batch. The first year I canned yellow squash relish and zucchini relish I never tried them. My older friends, whom are the sweetest couple ever, said they missed canning. I gave them a few jars and they raved about it. I tried it and liked it

I don't care for the chopped zucchini relish. This year I made the shredded zucchini and squash relish.

Quote:
I prefer zuke relish I only have 2 pints left from my last big canning session before I moved off the farm. Now that I live alone I only use 1 or 2 pints of it a year so a canner load would last me 10 years.

I use white vinegar too mostly.
That's good to know. I will have to try the ones with the white vinegar and see if I can taste a difference. If not…it will be white from now on

Quote:

That sounds delicious. I was just looking up how to make hot pepper rings. I love those on a cold veggie sandwich.

What recipe did you use for your hot pepper relish?

Here is the recipe I use. Today I also made the same recipe but with zucchini and white vinegar.
Yellow Summer Squash Relish Recipe | Taste of Home

Old 07-22-2014, 09:49 PM

Lisa the best I can tell you right now & it is a short answer is make sure you are de-bubbling well and paying attention to the headspace. I pack my pickles then shake & twist the jars around on the counter gently to settle them more. I can usually get at least one more pickle some times 2 you will always have what seems like a lot of liquid. With pickles I use a chopstick instead of my plastic de-bubbler it works better for me.

The pie filling takes trial & error on how full, de-bubble and headspace as long as the jars seal you should be OK. I've noticed using different types of apples give me different results as far as headspace I don't know what you are talking about liquid in this product. You should have a thick "liquid" again it needs a lot of de-bubbling & settling before sealing. The pie filling is a little more persnickety I fill to about half push down slightly, de-bubble then fill to the shoulder, push down, de-bubble. Next time take a picture if it keeps happening we'll see if we can figure it out more.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Lisa the best I can tell you right now & it is a short answer is make sure you are de-bubbling well and paying attention to the headspace. I pack my pickles then shake & twist the jars around on the counter gently to settle them more. I can usually get at least one more pickle some times 2 you will always have what seems like a lot of liquid. With pickles I use a chopstick instead of my plastic de-bubbler it works better for me.

The pie filling takes trial & error on how full, de-bubble and headspace as long as the jars seal you should be OK. I've noticed using different types of apples give me different results as far as headspace I don't know what you are talking about liquid in this product. You should have a thick "liquid" again it needs a lot of de-bubbling & settling before sealing. The pie filling is a little more persnickety I fill to about half push down slightly, de-bubble then fill to the shoulder, push down, de-bubble. Next time take a picture if it keeps happening we'll see if we can figure it out more.

I will try the chopstick trick. I have the right headspace but maybe too much liquid in comparison to the food. I think I meed to shake and twist a little more. Maybe I need some music, lol. I was packing the food and filling with liquid. I didn't know I was "allowed" to pack some, fill some, pack some more, fill some more Practice practice, right

I will take a picture of the jars later.

Speaking of apple pie I think I will be making this, since I am out of spices for relishes.
Zucchini Cobbler Bars - Taste and Tell

Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

That's me also. With only 2 of us we don't use a lot of anything thus making dozens of jars isn't worth it. When I can with daughter we do make a lot of salsa because the entire family likes it and expects to get some, also a lot of tomatoes but most everything else is just a few jars. When I finish with the pickles and relish tomorrow I think I will just give the rest of our cukes away.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Thanks for the zucchini relish recipe.

I'll post the hot pepper recipe as soon my computer internet connection is fixed. Imagine typing a recipe on a smartphone keyboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes