Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2020, 05:59 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times

Advertisements

Yum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 06:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I’m still finding sticky spots of purple and pink this morning from last night’s jam/jelly fest.

It started with the grandkids picking beautyberries for jelly and when shopping for pectin, Publix was having a good sale on blackberries. So 12 - 4 ounce jars of beautyberry jelly and 8 - 8 ounce jars of blackberry jam later, I have enough for gifts and some for us.

Of course I donated all my canning supplies when we retired, so last night was a makeshift affair, but it was fun. The grandkids pronounced the Beautyberry jelly the best, but they have a vested interest.

Beautyberry bush pics on bottom for those unfamiliar with this southeastern native. The berries are tasteless off the bush, even the birds leave them for later, but they make a good jelly.
So much fun for everyone. Even though we are long retired we still enjoy our canning as a family. My daughters, and granddaughters and I can and do the jam thing every summer. We just finished a few weeks ago. If nothing else, everything does look so pretty and it makes a fun gift to give to friends and family if they are not feeling well or just to be generous.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:37 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,752,456 times
It is fun and I’ll likely go to a thrift store to find a deeper stock pot. This is the second year of making do with what I have, which takes more time and effort.

We gave a jar of both to our neighbors across the street this morning. Both are lifelong FL and neither knew about making beautyberries into jelly. They had no idea they were edible.

Old 08-21-2020, 09:56 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
That looks absolutely amazing. That is one of the things I miss being prediabetic. Hot buttered toast/biscuits with jam, especially home made jam on it. Yours looks great! And the grandkids helped. What fun!

Old 08-21-2020, 11:26 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I’m still finding sticky spots of purple and pink this morning from last night’s jam/jelly fest.

It started with the grandkids picking beautyberries for jelly and when shopping for pectin, Publix was having a good sale on blackberries. So 12 - 4 ounce jars of beautyberry jelly and 8 - 8 ounce jars of blackberry jam later, I have enough for gifts and some for us.

Of course I donated all my canning supplies when we retired, so last night was a makeshift affair, but it was fun. The grandkids pronounced the Beautyberry jelly the best, but they have a vested interest.

Beautyberry bush pics on bottom for those unfamiliar with this southeastern native. The berries are tasteless off the bush, even the birds leave them for later, but they make a good jelly.
I did not know that! I just planted a callicarpa this year, so no berries yet.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:50 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Yum yum.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:53 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I did not know that! I just planted a callicarpa this year, so no berries yet.

I have two callicarpa and I know the deer love them - I just didn't know people did too!

In NY, berries will not ready for another month. It really is a fall fruit in the northeast.

Old 08-21-2020, 07:43 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I learned something new too.

Don't you just love to see the light shining through those newly filled jars? Just like kitchen jewels.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:03 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I made peaches in a bourbon syrup (they should be ready to eat in a couple weeks after marinating ... ), peach habanero jam, peach pie filling, peach salsa, and plain old peaches in a light syrup.

Also crushed tomatoes, tomato jam, salsa, tomato juice, and pizza sauce.

Gotta tackle the zucchini and the summer apples this weekend ... Summer apples last about two days after picking, I swear, before they turn to vinegar on the kitchen counter.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:15 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Bumping this up to ask a question.
First of all I read the whole thread about a month ago. Familiar names, some no longer post, one sweet lady, well she's missed.
I've been getting some canning equipment since last year a little at a time. Canned a few pickles but that's about it.
I need an electric hot plate for pressure canning. I have a smooth top stove and it doesn't like to boil water.
Any suggestions? I'll be using it out on a back porch that's why I prefer electric.
I just need something to do the job.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes