Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,574,375 times

Advertisements

My wife has asked for a new pressure caner. I think I will go ahead and get it for her even though we don't have the garden yet. I need a new tiller for myself. Then we shall return to canning like we used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
My wife has asked for a new pressure caner. I think I will go ahead and get it for her even though we don't have the garden yet. I need a new tiller for myself. Then we shall return to canning like we used to.
For years, we would hit true farmers markets like the South Carolina Farmers Market in Columbia or the Eastern Market in Detroit at the END of the say when they wanted to go home and get some great deals like $3 for a bushel of peaches or $2 for a box of zucchini. When we scored a deal, we would share some of it with the neighbors and put up the rest of the goods in the freezer.

Or we would score a deal on cherries or berries and my MIL would can them.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,183,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Good news in deed! I am looking at buying a pressure canner that does like 4 qts or 5 pints at a time. With my family size dwindling I don't want to have to break out the big canner when a smaller one would get more use. Especially in the winter time.

Totals canned up so far from 2009 garden:

41 qts. green beans
27 qts. bread & butter pickles
10 qts. dill pickle halves
20 qts. tomatoes, quartered or smaller
7 pts. tomatoes
32 pts. corn
9 qts spaghetti sauce

Old 09-08-2009, 09:13 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,666,797 times
Way to go jax!!!

I've actually frozen more than I have canned this year. With my bumper tomato crop, there has been many a mad dash to recipe books and online to find 'new' ways for me to use all my tomatoes....So far there has been home-made veggie soup, chili base, tomato relish, tomato salsa and of course just regular tomatoes!!!! Haven't tried spaghetti sauce, Jax, is your recipe listed on here somewhere???

My green beans were eaten by a varmit...so no green beans.

Put up 60 quarts of peas
30 quarts of butterbeans
60 pints of corn
15 pints of chili base
canned 8 pints of tomato relish
frozen 10 pints of tomato salsa
churned 1 churn full of pickles
12 pints of icebox pickles
6 gallon veggie soup
50 pints jelly and fig preserves
10 gallons okra
6 gallons squash
1 gallon chopped bell peppers
1 quart chopped jalepeno pepper
6 bottles of pepper sauce
and cooked (scrambled) 6 pounds hambuger meat with onions and peppers in it. About to do more.

me tired.....but must give much credit to dh who has helped me more this year than ever and I greatly appreciate it.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:20 AM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I still have some tomatoes, so I'm making salsa either tonight or tomorrow. And then that'll be it. Oh, wait, there will be apples for apple butter and spiced apple rings ... and cranberries for cranberry sauce and chutney ... *sigh*

Gonna need more jars ...

I don't remember what I've put up already ... quartered tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, tomato jam, blueberry preserves, blueberry peach jam, peach salsa, green tomato chutney. The spouse thinks I'm insane, but I'm having fun.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM

859 posts, read 2,148,382 times
lol I been layzy but my Tomatoes are still green and I already bought 2 bushels...grr I dont want to buy them !!!!

so far I did

6 Quarts of Glazed Carrots
24 1/2 Pints of Salsa
12 Pints of CInnamon Apple sauce
4 Pints of Apple Butter
3 Pints of Spaghtetti Sauce

Froze
2 Gallon Bags of Green Beans
1 Gallon Bag of Yellow Beans

Fridge:
12 Quarts of Fridge pickles

Tomatoes here are not real good so I been a lot of garbage in the tomatoes..... its depressing.

Making more Apple Sauce & Apple Butter, if I get some NICE Tomatoes I make some more Chillie Sauce or Spaghetti Sauce, also making Fruit coctail, waiting on the Squash yet,
oh and more Peaches
Its just been a crazy Summer and here its been really a rough year trying to have a Garden with all the Rain and cold....

ON a another Note I have a BUNCH of those little bitty Jars I think they are 2 oz??? what do you put in there?? I got them for FREE could not turn them down !!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Is there a Canning for Dummies book?

If someone knew absolutely nothing, what book would the experts in here recommend?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:36 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,052,550 times
I just got myself http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Pickling-R...2553678&sr=8-1, and the suggested additions (Amazon.com: Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving (9780778801313): Judi Kingry, Lauren Devine: Books). I have read each in the store and was impressed. I still need to vet it myself, but I have been doing refrigerator pickles from Good Eats, which have been fantastic, but not really put up canning foods (but last 3-4 months in the fridge, and are still tasty)

Old 09-09-2009, 10:07 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,431,085 times
Thanks for the tip, Subsound.
(Tried to rep, but it's telling me to spread it around)

Old 09-10-2009, 09:02 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,745,199 times
A couple of days ago, I had to find these recipes for a friend. She remembers these from my previous days of canning. Just another way to get rid of tomatoes and the good thing is, you can use these tomatoes on toast!! LOL

Tomato Preserves With Pineapple

10 cups sugar
2 cups Water
Cook until it threads. Add 7 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes and 1 small can pineapple. Cook until jellied and pour into jars.

Old Fashioned Spiced Tomato Preserves
3 cups prepared tomatoes
1/4 cup lemon juice
4 1/2 cups sugar
1 box sure jell fruit pectin
1 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 heaping tsp cinnamon
1/2 heaping tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Scald, peel and chop tomatoes. Cover and simmer at about 10 minutes, stir occasionally.

Put 3 cups of boiled/simmered tomatoes into a large sauce pan. Add lemon juice, rind, and spices to the tomatoes. Stir the sure jell pectin into the tomatoes. (Make sure you use a large pan so this can come to a rolling boil.) Bring the tomatoes to a rolling boil, and stir constantly. At once stir in the sugar and continue to stir, bringing to a full rolling boil ( where the boil can't be stirred down). Then boil hard rolling boil for one minute, stirring constantly.

Skim off foam with metal spoon. Ladle into hot sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch at tops. Wipe jar rims. Cover jars with hot lids and screw bands on firmly. Let cool. Be sure to check seals. Store in cool dry place. approx 6 jars (8 0z)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes