Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 02:07 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times

Advertisements

same here I give mine as gifts as well,,, and unless the People cann themselfs and know how much they cost, I never see the jars again.

Kinda learned not to hope for them to come back lol but when they do get returnd its like a little Canning gift lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
ok guys, need your help: does anyone have suggestions for pickling okra and keeping it from getting slimmy? I have got so much, we would have to eat it 3 times a week to get rid of it, (and lots more to come) Yex, I am learning to eat it but it will never be my real favorite and with so many choices for fresh veggies this time of year I don't want to eat nothing but Okra...So, pickling it will be my next thing. I do a few jars every summer; hubby will eat it for lunch, I just can't because of the slime.

Nita

Old 08-03-2011, 09:30 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,273 times
Default Pressure Canning

I'm pretty ticked off right now. I've been wanting to can my own fruits and veggies so I went online and researched pressure canners. I finally decided on one and ordered it on Amazon.

I got it yesterday and the canner is fine. The problem is with the pressure gauge. It's highly recommended that you have the gauge tested for accuracy before you use it so you don't have any unfortunate explosions!

Not too long ago (and for decades before that) you used to be able to go down to the county extension office and they'd test it. Well, they don't do that anymore. Here in Minnesota, they don't even answer their own phone anymore. Iowa does!

I've called EVERYWHERE for the last two hours and nobody does it. My only choice is to take it to a calibration shop and they charge more to test it than I paid for the canner, $77! Now I have to take the time to wrap it all back up, send it back to Amazon and have to pay a RESTOCKING fee for the privilege.

I. Am. Pissed. Off.

PS. - Yes, I know I could mail it off to Presto in Wisconsin and they'd test it for free but that defeats the purpose. They'd just put in back in the mail again and all that jostling around NEGATES the testing because you can't tell how all that bouncing around affects the gauge. Besides, if that were a reliable thing to do, then why don't they have a quality control test for their pressure gauges to begin with, before they package them?!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Guess its not so plain and simple.... LMAO

Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM

Well, it definitely wasn't very simple, that's for sure. But, it SHOULD be simple!

As a last resort, I called the Presto Company and spoke to a very helpful woman who is now my adopted grandma. There IS a home test that they don't advertise or like to give out but, in my situation, they had pity on me and gave it to me.

What an ordeal! But, in the end, it will have been worth every gray hair.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:58 AM

I would have never thought to try this. Thanks SO much for the tip!

Old 08-03-2011, 03:31 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,525 times
eww sorry I am no help! No Slimy for me either !

Old 08-03-2011, 07:26 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
What a great tip. I have canning jars in all sizes; half pint, pint, quart, half gallon. This will be excellent.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,286,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
Well, it definitely wasn't very simple, that's for sure. But, it SHOULD be simple!

As a last resort, I called the Presto Company and spoke to a very helpful woman who is now my adopted grandma. There IS a home test that they don't advertise or like to give out but, in my situation, they had pity on me and gave it to me.

What an ordeal! But, in the end, it will have been worth every gray hair.
would you please share the home test with us.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Sure, hey teach.

I have a 23 quart pressure canner and it comes with a 15lb weight. She said to pour one quart of water into the canner, seal it, put it on the stove and give it time to pressurize. Once the 15lb weight starts jiggling steadily (like it should), look at the gauge. It should read 15lbs of pressure. If it doesn't, note what the difference is and keep that figure in mind when canning.

For example, if the pressure gauge reads 13lbs when the 15lb weight starts jiggling, it means the gauge is off (under) by 2lbs. So, if I'm canning something that needs 11lbs of pressure, I need to be sure to let the gauge go up to 13lbs to get a true 11lb reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes