Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 08:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

19 quarts of tomatoes!

What a difference the pressure canner made when processing tomatoes -- the job took half the time, and the kitchen didn't get all steamed up. Love it! I get impatient waiting for the canner to depressureize, but that was my only frustration. Better be frustrated than wind up with a canner lid muckled onto your face, LOL.

When I was cleaning up, I reached for the disposal switch and my elbow touched something wet and cold: another big bowl full of tomatoes that I forgot about! Well, I was out of jars and out of lemon juice, so I stuffed the tomatoes into zip-lock bags and tucked them in the fridge. I'll process them when I make the salsa; two jars didn't seal, so they went into the fridge as well for reprocessing.

Now I need to find some peaches ... I'm out of peach salsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Yes a pressure canner speeds things up for sure. I usually buy a bushel of Michigan red haven peaches to put up only can't this year. Their whole crops froze out so none to buy. How do you use your peach salsa?

I really need to find a bushel of tomatoes to put up but honestly with this moving junk I don't know when I'd have the time. I'm so tired by the end of the day unpacking and putting stuff away as it is now.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:01 PM

859 posts, read 2,148,010 times
Tell me about it ,,,,,,,,, I prefer " Harmony" peachs over Red Haven ....... Jaxson if u can get them they are better yet./ I am in michigan and spend $ 24 for a Basket!

Did 9 Quarts of Spaghetti Sauce today........ got more tomatos coming but not red yet !

Will do Peaches wed. or thursday as they are still ripening in the Garage.......

Still working on a Pressure Canner !!!!!!!!! It sure got HOT and steamy today

Old 08-13-2012, 06:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
lol then I know another famous Person !

rain rain rain and more rain here and today cold and windy too !!!!!! this sure isnt helping my garden any!
Please send some of that rain to the central midwest! We are drought-central.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
How do you use your peach salsa?
With a spoon.

But seriously, aside from the usual snack with tortilla chips, I also eat it on chicken, fish, pork chops, and ... hamburgers. I'm really liking having a fruity condiment with meat.

I've never tried this, but over vanilla ice cream ... ? Bet that would be different.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:02 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
Tell me about it ,,,,,,,,, I prefer " Harmony" peachs over Red Haven ....... Jaxson if u can get them they are better yet./ I am in michigan and spend $ 24 for a Basket!
A bushel? I'll have to try those Harmony we just have always done red haven thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
With a spoon.
Yes it is yummy on ice cream too. We have applesauce with pork a lot but never thought about other fruit & meat combos.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
@Jaxson, we use peach salsa on tacos, chicken, fish etc... Love peach salsa.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM

lol Peach on everything ! Will have to try that peach Salsa.... for sure now......

Yes Harmonys are so much nicer to cann up try them..... here they are bit more this year due too the Frost we had.....

RAIN ! YES who wants it ,,,,,,, more rain and a high of 60 !!!!!!!! WTH !!!!!!! today is the ONLY nice day out of the week.....

Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Ok why can I not find the Peach Salsa Recipe?????????

Old 08-15-2012, 11:27 AM

I'm going to finish the tomatoes tonight ... I'm going to finish the tomatoes tonight ... I'm going to finish the tomatoes tonight ...

Quote:
Ok why can I not find the Peach Salsa Recipe?????????
You need one? I can post mine when I get home from work.

While the tomatoes are processing, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes