Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:43 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw1984 View Post
@oregonwoodsmoke,
Thanks for sharing, you know, some candy looks like a small square, I want my candy to be in that shape.
yeah, chocolate might be a good candidate for my initial experiment.
Well, for candy thermometer and silicon mats, where can we buy them?

And thank you @kygman as well for your input.

And btw, I don't want it to be fudge but candy.

Love 'em or hate 'em, Amazon is a good source for many things.

Things like the candy thermometer and silicone mats can be found at WallyWorld among other places but I have no problems letting people bring what I need/want to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2022, 09:58 AM

4,934 posts, read 3,309,602 times
FoodWishes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpB_9NRS7Fk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq_sTI9u0Xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMNhRROsHs0

Old 06-03-2022, 11:19 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
@oregonwoodsmoke,
........, some candy looks like a small square, I want my candy to be in that shape.
............I don't want it to be fudge but candy.

Fudge is candy. Candy that is a small square doesn't narrow it down at all.

Generally, if candy is in a square, it has been made as a sheet and then it is cut into squares after it cools. But small squares could be jellies, or caramels, or meringues, or brittles, or any number of other things.

Give us more of a hint.

You can buy all the silicon and sheet pans and candy thermometers at any big hardware store, Walmart, Costco, online at Amazon or other online stores, any restaurant supply store or cooking supply store.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:02 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Quote:
@NYC refugee, sounds interesting, how did you do it?
I had a recipe, mostly sugar and butter and ground nuts. Cook to proper stage, spread in pan, cover with chocolate chips while still hot so they melt, and you just spread them out. When it's cool, break it into pieces. Nothing difficult other than constant stirring and getting to the right temperature.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:05 PM

764 posts, read 507,869 times
great stuff, folks, appreciated.

@oregonwoodsmoke, caramels like Kraft Caramels, but size-wise, double its size.

And yeah, I've just bought candy thermometer.

@steiconi
for soft candy, what temperature would be ideal?

i guess 212 degrees F is for hard candy.

And yeah, for things like how long it should be in the freezer/fridge for cooling down etc...

I'll dig up some youtube video for exact process. Many thanks.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:38 PM

Caramels a pretty easy. You will need a heavy saucepan and some sort of heat resistant spoon, because you are going to be holding it over a boiling hot pan and stirring and a metal spoon will get too hot to hold.

Follow the directions closely, use a candy thermometer to get the temperature correct. When it is done, pour it into a low sided pan to cool, and when they are cool enough to hold their shape, cut into squares and leave in the pan to finish cooling. Cool at room temperature, don't put it into the fridge to cool.

Home made caramels are much better than the store bought ones.

You can made any degree of hardness just by choosing which temperature to take the candy off the heat. You can get soft and almost runny to make turtles or you can go the opposite direction and made them hard and chewy enough to pull the fillings out of your teeth. The higher the temperature you cook them to, the harder they will be when cooled.

Hint: when stirring carefully cover every inch of the bottom of the pan to prevent burning.

You can cut them any size you want and you can have them be squares or roll them just a bit and get cylinders.

Old 06-03-2022, 12:42 PM

Adding this: melted sugar is like molten lava. Be careful to not touch or taste hot sugar or you will get a bad burn. It not only burns, but it clings and burns. Do not touch.

Old 06-03-2022, 02:18 PM

14,759 posts, read 8,093,254 times
We usually make some candy at Christmas time. What kind do you want to make?

I usually make chocolate and peanut butter fudge.
My Son is the real great candy maker - he makes Bourbon Balls, Buckeyes, Oreo Truffles, etc

Old 06-03-2022, 02:20 PM

764 posts, read 507,869 times
Thank you @oregonwoodsmoke for such awesome info.

On stirring, I'll try chopsticks first.
Just curious, for Kraft Caramels, their level of softness, what would temperature it be?

And good to know, let them cool with room temperature instead of using fridge.

For "Hint: when stirring carefully cover every inch of the bottom of the pan to prevent burning.", I don't fully understand, wearing gloves while stirring? how does the the bottom of the pan would cause burning?

Again, greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:31 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
@steiconi
for soft candy, what temperature would be ideal?

i guess 212 degrees F is for hard candy.

No, 212 degrees is the boiling point of water, so you can see if the thermometer is accurate.

Read the beginner's guide I linked to in my earlier post. It offers a recipe for caramels, which says to cook to 250 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes