Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 06:33 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times

Advertisements

A second (and a third, and so on) to all those who said chuck has to be cooked with moisture. That's where you went wrong.

I go one step further with my oven pot roast: If the gravy-type liquid I have in the pot doesn't completely cover the meat, I go in after an hour and put the meat upside down so the other side gets in the liquid. Then again after another hour. All the time baking at about 300° with the lid firmly on. I love chucks for their taste but you do have to keep them in the liquid while cooking.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:58 AM

51,648 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They likely cooked it in the oven in a covered casserole dish.
Or might have used a large fry pan with a lid.

Sear both chuck roast on both sides on the stove. In bacon grease if you have any.

Once it is brown on all sides, add a couple cut up onions and cook until limp. Just before the next step, add 5 or so cloves of minced or cut up garlic. Not garlic powder, but actual garlic. Cook just a second or two, then

Add beef broth, water, beer, wine, apple juice, ... whatever mixture you want, and bring to a simmer. Add a bay leaf or two, some rosemary and thyme. I like to stir in a tablespoon or two of tomato paste, and tablespoon or so of balsamic vinegar. The roast needs to be in liquid, even if you have to add more water.

Then cover with a lid and in the oven, 300 degrees, for about five hours. Add carrots and potatoes about three hours in. Then another two hours or so, until potatoes, carrots, and beef are tender.

You can make it on the stove, but you have to keep checking it as it is more likely to burn on the bottom.

It's tasty.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:08 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I found the crock pot cooker (top shelf of the pantry, way back in the corner..) put the remaining pot roast in with a little broth and a little vinegar, let it cook on high for about 3 1/2 hours, and it was way better. Made a nice sandwich!

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the update!
Glad you didn’t waste beef.

Now that you found a crockpot - and using some recipe advice here - you are going to get better and better at it - perhaps even making it tastier than your late wifes recipes.

The crockpot is very forgiving:start in the morning - have it ready for supper.
Chicken, pork - whatever you find tasty or on sale.

Stay well fed!

Old 05-20-2023, 11:57 AM

1,863 posts, read 838,994 times
google mississippi mud pot roast, best pot roast you every eat, works with chicken too

Old 05-20-2023, 11:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
I skip all your steps except "put it in the oven", and it's perfect every time. Also, a bachelor greybeard.

Cut into big pieces unpeeled potatoes, carrots, onions, poblano pepper, turnip if I have one, green onions, and a tomato. Lightly oiled enamel covered roasting pan, no water. Pound or so of pork roast on top. Coarse black pepper, pinch salt. Lid it, shake it up, put it in the hot oven, about medium. Give it a couple hour, make sure potatoes have begun to brown, carrots soft and carmelizing, onions browning. Don't overthink this, you're reallly just deliciously over-roasting veggies -- the meat just comes along for the ride. There is plenty of moisture in there.

I imagine fatty beef will work fine, I do pork. Throw your crock-pot away, in the same dumpster as your microwave.

Last edited by arr430; 05-20-2023 at 11:56 PM..

Old 05-23-2023, 12:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,576,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I skip all your steps except "put it in the oven", and it's perfect every time. Also, a bachelor greybeard.

Cut into big pieces unpeeled potatoes, carrots, onions, poblano pepper, turnip if I have one, green onions, and a tomato. Lightly oiled enamel covered roasting pan, no water. Pound or so of pork roast on top. Coarse black pepper, pinch salt. Lid it, shake it up, put it in the hot oven, about medium. Give it a couple hour, make sure potatoes have begun to brown, carrots soft and carmelizing, onions browning. Don't overthink this, you're reallly just deliciously over-roasting veggies -- the meat just comes along for the ride. There is plenty of moisture in there.

I imagine fatty beef will work fine, I do pork. Throw your crock-pot away, in the same dumpster as your microwave.
lol - we would both starve without the microwave. My favorite recipes all have just one line of instruction: Microwave on high for XXXX minutes. Now, I do believe I could live without the gas range and oven but please don't take my Keurig away.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
I buy a Bag N Season from the store. it contains a plastic bag and some seasonings. and you put all your ingredients in this bag and bake in the oven for a couple hours.

for me it tastes great and not too much work for me. guess i could use my own bag and stuff but the idea is that this makes the meat very juicy and tender.

Old 05-26-2023, 01:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
google mississippi mud pot roast, best pot roast you every eat, works with chicken too
I just googled that, and up came "Mississippi pot roast". is that the same and Missississppi mud pot roast?

Old 05-26-2023, 01:06 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,927,256 times
Thanks a bunch guys, now I'm starving for pot roast. Gotta get the crock pot down and get to work. Wish me luck.

Old 05-26-2023, 02:09 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. I found the crock pot cooker (top shelf of the pantry, way back in the corner..) put the remaining pot roast in with a little broth and a little vinegar, let it cook on high for about 3 1/2 hours, and it was way better. Made a nice sandwich!

Thanks again!!
Glad it worked out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes