Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

I guess my mom holds a key to this mystery. I will have to call and find out as I always was out of the kitchen when this was made but it was a great use for leftover cornbread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 06:25 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,018,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I've never heard of "egg sop", however my grandmother used to take day old cornbread and put it in a glass, or sometimes a bowl and pour buttermilk over it and eat it for breakfast.
I believe I have heard THIS called Cush Cush or maybe Cous Cous. Really not sure. Somebody correct me on this

Old 06-25-2008, 07:34 PM

ok I talk to my mom for how this is prepared.
It must be an Applachian recipe since that was where she was raised.

Cook cornbread of course black skillet pan and either let it cool or use day old cornbread that has been covered and set to the side.

In a larger size skillet heat to a medium heat.

Add 6 eggs and quarter stick of margarine (use Paula Dean measuring method whatever suits you)
Crumble the cornbread into the egg mixture as you lightly stir it on the stove . When eggs look cook to desire likings it is ready

And yes she called it EGG SOP

I should have ask her first but just like right a moment ago when I just called for the recipe I got a ear full of how half the town is doing .

Old 06-28-2008, 09:08 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
I believe I have heard THIS called Cush Cush or maybe Cous Cous. Really not sure. Somebody correct me on this
cous cous is a type of pasta, prevalent in northern Africa, its delish, nothing like what you have described, though.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:31 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
ok I talk to my mom for how this is prepared.
It must be an Applachian recipe since that was where she was raised.

Cook cornbread of course black skillet pan and either let it cool or use day old cornbread that has been covered and set to the side.

In a larger size skillet heat to a medium heat.

Add 6 eggs and quarter stick of margarine (use Paula Dean measuring method whatever suits you)
Crumble the cornbread into the egg mixture as you lightly stir it on the stove . When eggs look cook to desire likings it is ready

And yes she called it EGG SOP

I should have ask her first but just like right a moment ago when I just called for the recipe I got a ear full of how half the town is doing .
Yep, sounds very much like what my family calls Egg Sop. How funny!!!! My g/ma used bacon grease . . . but she may have added butter, for all I know! However, one difference - my g/mother soaked the corn bread (left over from nite b/f) in buttermilk b/f adding to eggs.

I used to keep buttermilk and use it a lot in recipes and have not done that for a while. Now I am thinking about cornbread and buttermilk . . .

Old 06-29-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yep, sounds very much like what my family calls Egg Sop. How funny!!!! My g/ma used bacon grease . . . but she may have added butter, for all I know! However, one difference - my g/mother soaked the corn bread (left over from nite b/f) in buttermilk b/f adding to eggs.

I used to keep buttermilk and use it a lot in recipes and have not done that for a while. Now I am thinking about cornbread and buttermilk . . .
I totally understand your grandmother using bacon grease to not waste anything and why buy butter for this when it can use something else and oooo the bacon flavoring.

Im not a fan of the taste of buttermilk when I fix a bowl I use regular milk.
Another example of a recipe to use so you dont throw anything away.

What is Ironic my favorite pie is Buttermilk Pie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes