Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times

Advertisements

Here's what I bring. I normally make 5 lbs. Because 5 lbs get's eat, pretty quick.

Let me tell you about these wings. Imagine a crispy, thin shell. Imagine warm, steaming hot chicken inside. It's like heaven. They're better hot...(much better in my opinion) but still pretty good cold. (I use 1 - 2 tablespoons of cayenne when I make them for myself. Ok, I use 1/2 a can. I REALLY like spicy food.)

Just thought I'd share. (Full disclosure, I have nothing to do with the site below...except to have found a really good wings recipe.) I think it's the part where you dip them and let them sit in the fridge for an hour that makes them so crispy. I think it's the same concept as tempura; ice cold + hot grease. Hrmm...oh well.

Robbie's Recipe Collection: Buffalo Wings like Hooter's®

Buffalo Wings like Hooter's®
Lightly breaded in seasoned flour, deep-fried
'till crispy, then coated in a Buffalo sauce
custom-flavored to your desired heat level.
Included in my cookbook! Click here to get your copy!

Prep. Time: 1:45
Serves: 4
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. black pepper
20 chicken wing segments
1/2 cup butter OR margarine
1/2 cup hot sauce (see Notes, below)

-In a shallow dish, combine flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and peppers.

-Coat chicken entirely in the flour mixture; refrigerate coated wings for 1 hour; coat chicken again with remaining flour mixture.

-In a 2-quart saucepan, heat butter and hot sauce just until butter melts; turn heat to low and keep warm on stove top.

-Deep-fry chicken, 8 - 10 pieces at a time, in 375 degree oil (vegetable oil, canola oil, or peanut oil) for 13 minutes, turning once or twice.

-Drain chicken on a wire cooling rack for 30 seconds, then immediately toss fried chicken in buffalo sauce mixture and remove with a slotted spoon.

-Repeat with remaining chicken.

Adjusting the spiciness of the sauce: As is, the recipe produces a medium sauce. To change the amount of spiciness, simply adjust the butter-to-hot sauce-ratio:
Mild: Use 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup hot sauce.
Hot: Use 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup hot sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Okay, I have to ask; been to many potlucks in Iraq? I am not quite sure how to process this.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,332,100 times
My choice for potlucks depends on the adventurousness of those who will partake.

If it's a mostly Midwestern crowd with pretty tame tastebuds, I'll make something like Broccoli-Rice Casserole (lots of cheese, which is always popular in Wisconsin) or King Ranch Casserole, which has a little zip to it but is pretty mild. Another favorite is my mom's marinated multi-bean salad, which I generally make with at least 5 or 6 varieties of beans. There's also what she used to call Five-Cup Salad: one cup each of crushed pineapple with juice, drained mandarin oranges, sour cream, cocoanut and mini-marshmallows. I've also heard it called Ambrosia Salad.

If the participants are a bit more adventuresome, or from other parts of the country where spicy food is more common, I like to take Chili or Carne Guisada or Pozole or Four-Part Hominy (hominy, sour cream, grated cheese and green chilies), all of which are favorites we found while living in Texas. There's not an awful lot that I liked about living there, to be honest, but we sure did come back with some great recipes.

Favorite potluck desserts include Fruit Pizza, Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Icing and any kind of fruit pie, none of which is particularly imaginative but all seem to disappear with great alacrity.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:26 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Anybody have a good recipe for either Fricasseed Snipe or Snipe Saute'?

Old 07-22-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Anybody have a good recipe for either Fricasseed Snipe or Snipe Saute'?
Well, first, you have to find someone to go snipe hunting with. As a rule of thumb, anexperienced snipe hunter is not a necessity, or even desired. And it helps if you have a six-pack as you may have wait a long time for the snipe to arrive.........

My rule of thumb for a potluck is to take something I know my family will enjoy. They don't like food that is overly salted or too heavy with sauces or dressings. Apparently lots of other folks must feel the same way, too, because my dishes always come home empty.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:04 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,002 times
Hash brown casserole. It's a heart attack special, sure, but people love it!

HASH BROWN POTATO CASSEROLE
1 (2 lb.) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
2 (8 oz.) cartons sour cream
1/2 c. chopped onions
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
2 c. shredded cheese, cheddar, sharp or other
2 c. corn flake crumbs
1/4 c. butter, melted
Thaw potatoes, combine soup, sour cream, onion and cheese; mix in potatoes. Spray 3 quart casserole with Pam, put in mixture. Mix melted butter and crumbs and sprinkle on top. Have oven preheated to 350 degrees and bake 1 hour.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:54 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Well, first, you have to find someone to go snipe hunting with. As a rule of thumb, an experienced snipe hunter is not a necessity, or even desired. And it helps if you have a six-pack as you may have wait a long time for the snipe to arrive.........

Thanx for the response.

Back before I retired, when potluck time came around at work, I was always ready to bring my obligatory bag of chips, or perhaps napkins or plastic forks.
But, whenever someone would ask what I was going to bring, or if I had to write it in on the potluck sheet, I usually rotated using either Fricaseed Snipe or Snipe Saute!
Needless to say, they finally realized what I was doing and knew that I was really bringing my regular stuff!

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Thanx for the response.
Anytime you're in the mood, c'mon up to Michigan for a visit. There are lots of good places to go snipe hunting. I haven't been in a really long time, so I'll have to check to see if there is still an open season or if you need a snipe license now!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:33 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,827,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Okay, I have to ask; been to many potlucks in Iraq? I am not quite sure how to process this.
Nah. We do have a guy who runs out about every 3 months or so and gets some steaks from another base and brings 'em back in his backpack on the chopper. So, sometimes we get a taste of home.

I was talking about when I was back home. Which I will be, YEAH!!! in less than 3 weeks.

That casserole sounds MMmmm MMMmmm good. I will make it. And lavish praises upon thee when I am done.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
70Ford, thank you for keeping us save. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get home safely.

I am the one they always ask to bring the Italian antipasto. It was over 100 degrees here for the 4th of July. 150+ people for our 1st subdivision holiday party. The salad and the pig were the first things to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes