U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 08:30 AM

424 posts, read 1,559,516 times

Advertisements

I love onion rings. I make them in several different ways, so many months ago I decided to search for variations that might be a little less intense on the grease factor. I found one for baked onion rings, that seemed interesting, although a few of the ingredients did strike me as odd. I tried it and indeed it was awful. I'm posting it here for others of you to evaluate...maybe even try. I like to share good and interesting recipes, to I thought it would also be fair to share one that I considered to be a dismal failure. Frankly, I don't encourage you to waste the onions and time, at least not as the recipe is written. There are definitely better recipes for baked onion rings out there. Within the body of the recipe I've included a few comments/suggestions in the event I should have a memory loss in the future and try the recipe again.

.... "That wasn't so good, now was it?!?!?"

Pancakes, Waffles, and Fritters 732 (Onion Rings 02 - Baked)

"Be sure to read the notes below before attempting this recipe."

4 large onions
1½ cups fine dry breadcrumbs (half whole wheat preferred)
½ tsp. poultry seasoning
3 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1 egg (no substitutes)
1 tbsp. water

1. Slice each onion about ¼-inch thick and separate into rings. Soak in cold, salted water about 30 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
2. Combine breadcrumbs, poultry seasoning and Parmesan. In a separate bowl mix egg and water; beat well. Dip onion rings into breadcrumb mixture, then into egg mixture, then into crumbs again. Salt lightly, if desired.
3. Arrange rings on greased jellyroll pan, cover with foil and bake in a hot oven (400°F) for 10 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 20 minutes more, or until crispy. Serve immediately.

NOTES: DO NOT try this recipe as written. The poultry seasoning makes it awful. I'm sure there is some way to make this palatable, but am not sure what should be done. Maybe omitting the poultry seasoning and Parmesan cheese while still seasoning with garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne would be acceptable.

Yields 8 servings

Recipe from: Complete Recipes - Baked Onion Rings

Last edited by buckhead; 07-29-2008 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Edited to add pithy comment.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes