U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 11,388,878 times

Advertisements

^I replace the cream with evaporated milk to lower fat content as well. I also use aged hard cheeses since its lower fat and since it has more flavor, you can use less.

I personally love Italian cheeses and pancetta in my quiche.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 09:12 AM

14,790 posts, read 21,565,527 times
^ you know I just read this book called Eat to live and there is no such thing as low fat cheese and I am learning so much of what Im doing wrong considering my eating and I think quiche is going to be out of my diet for a while and being italian that giving up my cheese and pasta was the hardest thing I ever did or do ...I love quiche . I used to make one for the church dinners and would add uncle bens country rice to it and everyone loved it . I had a lady at church ask me where is your quiche I patted myself and said I dont eat that any more . The pastors wife elbowed me and said to me "your weight loss has effected all of us apparently LOL ....I love it I really do .

Old 01-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
^ you know I just read this book called Eat to live and there is no such thing as low fat cheese and I am learning so much of what Im doing wrong considering my eating and I think quiche is going to be out of my diet for a while and being italian that giving up my cheese and pasta was the hardest thing I ever did or do ...I love quiche . I used to make one for the church dinners and would add uncle bens country rice to it and everyone loved it . I had a lady at church ask me where is your quiche I patted myself and said I dont eat that any more . The pastors wife elbowed me and said to me "your weight loss has effected all of us apparently LOL ....I love it I really do .
I don't use low fat cheese. But there are cheeses that are naturally lower in fat than others. Using a hard cheese vs a soft cheese etc. That's what I am talking about. Low fat stuff should be abolished.

I also am strange that I do not like full heavy cream in my cooking. It leaves an oily aftertaste that I am not fond of. I have always subbed out evaporated milk for it. Only time I don't sub cream is when I am making whipped cream. And even then, just a little bit goes a long way for me.

ETA Just reread my post earlier and used since twice, really shouldn't type before coffee!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:13 PM

9,519 posts, read 12,996,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
This is in reference to another thread. Share your recipe's for quiche.

3 cheese quiche:
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar
1 cup shredded Monterey jack
5 eggs
2 cups heavy or light cream
1 9 " pie shell store bought or homemade-I use Pillsbury

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Beat eggs in a bowl, add cream and cheese and mix well. Pour into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. Lowe temperature to 300 and bake another 30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. let stand 10 minutes before serving. You can use any combination of cheeses you like.

Quiche Lorraine:

1 cup shredded Swiss
12 slices bacon fried, then crumbled
2 cups heavy or light cream
1 9" pie shell
1/4 tsp. sugar
4 eggs.
1/3 cup minced onions

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into the pastry shell using a deep pie plate. Slightly beat eggs, then add cream and sugar. Pour into pie dish. Bake for 15 minutes on 425, then lower temperature to 300 and cook another 30 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. these quiches can be made and baked in advance and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Just re-heat in a 350 degree oven on 350 for 30 minutes(leave foil on)
Printed these out. They both sound delicious!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:28 PM

19,145 posts, read 24,221,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Printed these out. They both sound delicious!
Great!! let me know how you liked them.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,287,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
In case you would like a lower fat version, you can make a crustless quiche (they are called fritattas).
Ha - I call them Clean Out the Fridge Lunches

9x13 baking dish, sprayed or oiled
10 or 12 eggs
1 cup left over veggies
1 cup left over meat
1 cup shredded cheese
Mix it all up and bake @ 350, about 25 -30 minutes depending on your oven
Cut in 6 squares, wrap tightly and freeze
Ate this all the time when I worked

Out of all the combinations I tried, the only failure I had was when I tried to use some leftover pepperoni (the meat, not the peppers). It was a red greasy mess and got thrown out, LOL

Old 01-19-2014, 02:31 PM

19,145 posts, read 24,221,987 times
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon canola or extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 2 cups broccoli florets (no larger than 1 inch)
  • 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 cup milk, low fat
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese or a Cheddar blend
  • paprika, optional
Preparation:

Heat oven to 350°. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or baking spray.
In a saute pan over medium-low heat, saute the onion in the oil until tender. Add the broccoli florets and bell pepper and saute, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until broccoli is bright green and just begins to become tender.
Using a blender or a whisk, blend the eggs, egg whites, milk, flour, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and salt until smooth.
Arrange the broccoli and onion mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared pan. Top with the shredded cheese. Pour the egg mixture over all. Sprinkle lightly with paprika, if using.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until set. Cool for 5 to 10 minutes on a rack. Cut into squares to serve. Serves 4 to 6 depending on the meal and accompaniments.

I made this today. I haven't tasted it yet but I am sure it will be good. I used frozen chopped broccoli, omitted the red pepper because I did not have any.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,676,592 times
If I went to so much trouble to make a "nice Quiche " I wouldn't use anything low fat at all , defeats the purpose .

Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
If I went to so much trouble to make a "nice Quiche " I wouldn't use anything low fat at all , defeats the purpose .
See its a common dish in my household so my small changes allow me to eat it more often. Plus its super easy, dump and bake!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 AM
Status: "I'm not young enough to know everything." (set 20 days ago)

58,924 posts, read 47,578,355 times
Default Real men WILL eat this quiche! Share your favorite quiche recipe!

My manly man alpha male husband has discovered quiche. I think he is going to start getting pedicures next. Anyway, this is a fantastic quiche recipe that is so easy. (Hints - I diced the bacon BEFORE cooking it, I substituted half and half in place of the heavy cream, and I baked the quiche for 42 minutes and it was perfect). I have included a photo of the quiche I just made - note that I had to sample it of course!

Spinach and Bacon Quiche Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Now that I know my husband likes quiche, I need more tried and true recipes. Anyone have any favorites to share?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes