Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:07 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,257,904 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all. I have it in my little brain that I'd like to try to make a quiche. Anybody have some good ideas or suggestions? I'm looking for something with good veggies in it like asparagus, onions, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, would summer squash or zuchinni work? I'm assuming they'd have to be semi-cooked. Any combination, with or without meat, but preferably without bacon. Do you bake the shell first?

I've looked in my cookbooks, but some say bake the shell, some don't. Most of them just talk about Quiche Lorraine.

Thanks. I'm sure this crew will come up with some good ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 PM

230 posts, read 875,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Good morning, all. I have it in my little brain that I'd like to try to make a quiche. Anybody have some good ideas or suggestions? I'm looking for something with good veggies in it like asparagus, onions, peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, would summer squash or zuchinni work? I'm assuming they'd have to be semi-cooked. Any combination, with or without meat, but preferably without bacon. Do you bake the shell first?

I've looked in my cookbooks, but some say bake the shell, some don't. Most of them just talk about Quiche Lorraine.

Thanks. I'm sure this crew will come up with some good ones.
nomoresnow, I really love spinach quiche and Quiche Lorraine. But it's been so long since I made it, mainly because my bf didn't care for it!! I used to blind bake the shells at least halfway before filling them. Just my preference. Here's a link to the FN site's quiche recipes:

quiche Recipe Search Food Network (http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/quiche/search.do?searchString=quiche&site=food&gosearch=% 3CSPAN+_extended%3D%22true%22%3ESearch%3C%2FSPAN%3 E&searchType=Recipe - broken link)

Old 08-03-2008, 06:31 AM

Thanks, Asta. I was going to do a search yesterday, but the storms in the area wouldn't let me. I'll check those out. Appreciate your help.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:15 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,458 times
I use the recipe from the old 'Enchanted Broccoli Forest' cookbook. I don't bake the shell first.

You can use almost any vegetable for the filling. I like sauteed onions or mushrooms.

For the custard I use 3 eggs beaten with 1 cup milk.

So you prepare the crust. Grate some cheese and put it in the shell. Put in your vegetables, pour in the eggs and milk and bake.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:21 PM

Thank you, Ellise. sounds simple and good, too. I did some surfing and used Asta's link. I think these, along with some ideas I stole from different cookbooks, will help.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
One of my favourite is Crab quiche. Delicious in summer with a green salad with walnuts.
Crab Quiche Recipe at Epicurious.com

I also love Onion tart, not quite a quiche but gorgeous nonetheless :
Alsace Onion Tart Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old 08-05-2008, 07:36 AM

48,115 posts, read 21,994,714 times
NMS I went thru the same craving about a week or so ago! I had never made a quiche and shopped thru lots of recipes....i ended up using fresh Maine crab, sauted onions in some bacon..... and cheddar cheese. I did use a Pillsbury pie crust and half baked it (very lightly browned) and cooled it before filling it. I used light cream and 3 eggs. It was delicious, but was really more delicious and flavorful the next day, re heated in the micro wave.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Mooseketeer, thanks for the suggestions. I like the sound of that onion tart. Eipcurious does some good stuff.

Elston. Thanks. That sounds good, too. And it sounds so easy. Don't you just love those Pillsbury pie crusts? I've done harder stuff than this. I can do it, I can do it!

First, tho, I have to use up some of the stuff in the freezer.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,612 times
Default Quick Quiche Recipe

Ingredients
8 slices bacon
4 ounces shredded Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
4 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk

Directions
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9 inch pie pan.
Line bottom of pie plate with cheese and crumbled bacon. Combine eggs, butter, onion, salt, flour and milk; beat with the SuperWhipper® until smooth; pour into pie pan.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, until set. Serve hot or cold.

More information :http://www.superwhipper.com/rec.html

Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
Default Quiche

I love quiche, I am a man but when I cook it there is always excess moisture I have to drain off once cooked.

Does anyone have the answer as to how to make the fluid less? for 2 thin pies I use 4-5 eggs and milk for the fluid. I use herbs, and fill the shell with my favorite fillings then pour the fluid on top....

They are good but when i cut the first piece out I can prop it up and water runs out...

How do you make a dry quiche?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes