Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Yeah, you're probably right at that. Gol-durned economy anyway. And here I was looking forward to showing off my suntan to all my pasty-faced cube-buddies. Ah well, I'll have to rely on your renowned probity, fairness and accuracy to report on the outcome for us all.

You do realize, don't you, that this will make for a looooooooong 24 hours or so until I can check in to see the results. Must try to contain drool.........
Not like Hooch I hope. No pie is worth that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Not like Hooch I hope. No pie is worth that.
No, no, no - I'm patient. Being a parent has taught me that, if nothing else. It's just that I must suppress the drool reflex while I await your report on the outcome. I can do that, as long as I think carefully about it.

Rub your beloved's tired feet, feed her some Velveeta and chili-drenched baked potatoes, and let her get a good night's sleep, then tackle the pumpkin cream pie project as soon as you and she are full of energy and enthusiasm, and we'll patiently await the results.

Patiently. Really, I promise. Patiently.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:29 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I'm thinking of making an upside down tomato pie - I remember a cherry tomato one a few summers back - caramelised baby tomatoes baked with the crust on top, then turn it back up-ways. Cherry Tomato Tart Tatin, served with some fresh torn up basil I think. I'll have to go and find that now.
Keep us posted!!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Hey, I'm still waiting for the outcome of the pumpkin cream pie experiment - when is that report going to emerge? C'mon, man, you've got us drooling on the keyboard - how did it come out??
OK. Here is the latest idea on how to do this. We can't bake a half filled pie crust or the top will get burnt where there is not pie. So back to the drawing board to avoid another catastrophe. My idea not is for my wife to make her famous pumpkin pie squares in a cobbler pan and then when cool add the layer of pumpkin pudding then a layer of reduced fat whipped cream. Now this is I think most doable. See any problems I don't?

Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM

Noma - Let us know!

Hmmmm, I got to thinkin about that tomato pie, and have decided that there must be or needs to be (or I am gonna invent one!) a similar type pie using Vidalia onions and swiss cheese! Hmmmm..........If I do try this, hopefully it will be better that the baby poo dip disaster!

Whatcha think Noma? Vidalias and swiss and BACON?????

Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Noma - Let us know!

Hmmmm, I got to thinkin about that tomato pie, and have decided that there must be or needs to be (or I am gonna invent one!) a similar type pie using Vidalia onions and swiss cheese! Hmmmm..........If I do try this, hopefully it will be better that the baby poo dip disaster!

Whatcha think Noma? Vidalias and swiss and BACON?????
I will taste test. Now maybe an option could be some jalapeno?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Quote:
OK. Here is the latest idea on how to do this. We can't bake a half filled pie crust or the top will get burnt where there is not pie. So back to the drawing board to avoid another catastrophe. My idea not is for my wife to make her famous pumpkin pie squares in a cobbler pan and then when cool add the layer of pumpkin pudding then a layer of reduced fat whipped cream. Now this is I think most doable. See any problems I don't?
You are absolutely correct about the pie crust Nomad! If I had my everyday thinking cap on right now instead of my planning T day stuff cap I should have realized that when you posted sorry.

I don't see a problem with the second idea so be sure to tell us how it turns out please!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I will taste test. Now maybe an option could be some jalapeno?
You know I can't do jalapeno, but I bet just a little heat would be ok!

Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Quote:
That's a good point about getting a burnt pie crust on top. Your option sounds like it could work as a good alternative, though.

Another possibility might be to pre-bake your pie crust, and to cook your pumpkin pie filling on the stovetop like a true custard until it's completely done, instead of half-cooking it on the stove and then pouring it in the pie shell to cook the rest of the way during baking. If you did that, then poured the fully cooked pumpkin custard into the baked shell, let it cool and set, then topped with the pumpkin cream pudding, that might work, too.

Such fascinating possibilities! I will eagerly await more news from Noma's test kitchen... Good luck!

Old 11-26-2008, 07:42 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Oooooh, yummy! Pie, any type, as long as its not mincemeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes