U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 04:19 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,587,227 times

Advertisements

Once again I have a pan full of very flat meringue cookies. I like them and will eat them anyway as I have done several other batches--but does anyone have a meringue cookie/'Forgotten Kisses' or whatever you call them- that really works.

My mother made them and they kept the peaks. Mine do not. This time it might be because I tried to use a Splenda like sweetener for diabetics--said it worked 'just like sugar'--perhaps so and perhaps not. There could be other factors--I could call Alton Brown and have him come over for an individual analysis of these cookies but he is probably 'gallivanting'--he lives somewhere in Atlanta but not next door to me.

Meringue cookies are 'not bad' for my health issues and I can buy them but thought it would be easier to make them. It should be.

Please share your thoughts and recipes.

TakeAhike
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 07:32 PM

424 posts, read 1,557,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Once again I have a pan full of very flat meringue cookies. I like them and will eat them anyway as I have done several other batches--but does anyone have a meringue cookie/'Forgotten Kisses' or whatever you call them- that really works. ...
Do any of your recipes call for cream of tartar? Cream of tarter helps make stiff peaks that do not collapse. Make sure the bowl, whisk/beaters, and egg whites are well chilled and absolutely free of any grease. Use a glazed ceramic or glass bowl or maybe stainless steel but don't use aluminum under any circumstances.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Do any of your recipes call for cream of tartar? Cream of tarter helps make stiff peaks that do not collapse. Make sure the bowl, whisk/beaters, and egg whites are well chilled and absolutely free of any grease. Use a glazed ceramic or glass bowl or maybe stainless steel but don't use aluminum under any circumstances.
I added cream of tartar. Will try chilling the bowl and whisk and using a ceramic bowl. Pretty sure I had the stainless steel bowl--could it be aluminum and I just don't know it--doubtful--the sturdy little bowl has held up too well.

I still suspect the sugar substitute. When I am in the mood I will experiment and try to eliminate the things that might have gone wrong. The meringue pieces are in the freezer they will make good toppings for some sort of dessert. I made some sort of berry sauce last night and I could crumble up the meringues and top with berry sauce and say it is ?? 'Le Berry Supreme'--something more French and very vague. A rare dessert served only in small expensive French restaurants.

More likely I will dip the meringue pieces in berry sauce and feel very pleased. With a glass of '2 Buck Chuck'--that is living at Chez Suzanne.

TakeAhike

Old 08-09-2008, 11:44 PM

3,455 posts, read 6,550,322 times
Was it raining or very humid? Humidity can often have that affect on meringue, which is why it is not recommended to try and make meringue on rainy or humid days.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
Was it raining or very humid? Humidity can often have that affect on meringue, which is why it is not recommended to try and make meringue on rainy or humid days.
No, we had a very rare Saturday---little humidity and clear with a slight breeze. Now, today the humidity is back in force and there should be showers somewhere before night.

I knew that humidity or barometric pressure affected divinity but I don't make meringue much--and didn't know that would be an issue with it, too.

To remove these cookies I had to put them back in the oven for a few minutes to loosen the cement like grip on the pan. They rose again and became a beautiful lightly tanned color--then while cooling--fell and tried to stick to the pan like Gorilla Glue. I know what I will be using for household repairs instead of superglue.

TakeAhike

Old 08-10-2008, 04:40 PM

4,723 posts, read 14,422,509 times
Cream of tarter and I always thought the eggs/bowl should be room temp. Whipping cream bowl/beaters should be very cold--no?

Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 PM

424 posts, read 1,557,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
To remove these cookies I had to put them back in the oven for a few minutes to loosen the cement like grip on the pan. They rose again and became a beautiful lightly tanned color--then while cooling--fell and tried to stick to the pan like Gorilla Glue. I know what I will be using for household repairs instead of superglue.

TakeAhike
Have you tried them again, yet? As to the problem with sticking, since they are not actually baked directly, you might put some brown paper or parchment paper on the pan to deal with this. I wish you luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhead View Post
Have you tried them again, yet? As to the problem with sticking, since they are not actually baked directly, you might put some brown paper or parchment paper on the pan to deal with this. I wish you luck.
I will try again. I had 'whipped' up an Eggs Benedict like dish and had the egg whites --generally when I make meringue cookies--leftover egg whites.

I still think it was the 'Sugar Substitute' and I intend to find out. I have never believed that Splenda and such alternatives to sugar could quite have the same ? 'properties'.

Alton Brown is remiss in not covering this on his show. How could I know?

Parchment paper would help the sticking. Snarl--I read Emeril's recipe and it sounded like a snap--maybe for Emeril but not for me.

I have seen perfect meringue cookies in I think Publix--said to be 'Sugar Free'--guess it is worth the cost to just buy them. I know my Mother made these cookies--because I ate a lot of them every time she made them. Nice little peaks--all of them. Real sugar was used exclusively--I know that.

I am better at brown sugar refrigerator cookies. I should stick to that, I guess.

I've tried several 'Diabetic' cookie recipes and only one was worth eating. I am Type 2 so if I want something sweet I just need to watch the menu for the rest of the day. I think commercially Stella D'Oro--? makes a fine diabetic cookie. Apricot/raspberry butter type cookie.

The worst rip off is the '100 Calorie' reduced size oreo and chocolate chip cookie packets. Just give me a whole cookie and I will somehow deal with it. Cough--I have eaten several 100 calorie packets at a time.

TakeAhike

Old 08-12-2008, 09:29 PM

[quote=jordonwon;4830239]Humidity is the enemy of meringue cookies, so plan to bake them on a day when it's nice and dry. Try to make these cookies on a cool, dry day, as humidity or rain tends to make meringue soft or cause it to bead. Go by feel, if it feels damp don't, if it feels crisp go for it. 50-60% should be OK, now candy making is more critical.

I might add that I know someone who lives in Panama where the humidity is something like 90% and they still turned out.

Saturday was a rare low humidity day-a fall-like breeze in the air. I know barometric pressure/rain can ruin candy--fudge, divinity, toffee. My mother used to make all of these around the holidays and I got to eat the bad batches.

It just had to be the sugar substitute. If Alton Brown can be emailed I am going to ask him. Or if there is a chemistry major on the thread maybe they can compare and contrast sugar molecules to faux sugar molecules. I should have made a videotape and contacted the manufacturer of the sugar-like substitute. 'Good for Baking'--maybe, but how about meringues? They owe me about $5 for ingredients and thousands for the time it took to clean the pan. j/k

I plan to pick a good day--the fall is drier and try the meringues with sugar and the sugar substitute. Then I will let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes