Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 12:30 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

I haven't made it in a long time, because cream of mushroom soup from a can makes me gag, and I'm too lazy to make a white sauce. But here's how I used to make it:

Half a bag of egg noodles
can of tuna
1/2 to 3/4 of a can of cream of mushroom soup
a little milk
minced onion and celery
pepper

I cooked the noodles first, and put them in a buttered casserole dish. In a separate bowl, I'd mix up the soup, tuna, onion and celery, and enough milk to make the soup thin enough to coat the noodles. And then pour the whole mess over the noodles and toss them together, add some pepper, and bake at 350 for a half hour or so.

Some people add peas (we never had fish at our house without peas on the side!) or top with crushed potato chips. My mom never used onion or celery. Some people use cream of celery soup instead of cream of mushroom soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 02:29 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
1 box of elbow macaroni
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo
1 can tuna ( biggest size they make)
2 tsp dill
1/2 cup minced onion
1 cup shredded cheese ( I use yellow or white cheddar)

I cook the elbows first, In a bowl I break up the tuna and add, mayo, sour cream, dill, and onion. Then I had the elbows and 1/2 cup of the cheese and mix well. I spray a casserole pan with olive oil (not the non stick spray but actual olive oil i have in a mister) You can add peas if you like, Then I sprinkle the remainder 1/2 cup of cheese on top, bake on 350 for about 40 minutes. You may have to add a little more sour cream and mayo if it's not creamy enough.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
I make it the traditional way except that we make our own mushroom sauce. Fairly quick if you buy the presliced mushrooms.

I like to use panko or ritz crackers as the crust in place of tater chips.

I like to add frozen peas/carrots, sundried tomatos and grated romano cheese to filling and crust.

Oh I forgot to add since this thread got merged see my first post. The better the tuna the better the casserole. Its tuna so matter who much stuff you use to make it you cant get past the nasty tasting cheap tuna if you go that direction. Costco solid Albacore for me or Chicken of the Sea solid albacore if Costco brand is more expensive.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-19-2012 at 04:00 PM..

Old 08-19-2012, 03:29 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,876,807 times
Tuna casserole reminds me of home as a kid....love it as comfort food. I use rotini noodles, and use only white tuna in oil....mix in cream of mushroom soup with some milk (so its creamy) ADD ITALIAN BREAD CRUMBS, and top with american cheese. YUMMY

Old 08-19-2012, 05:33 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,152,016 times
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3/4 pound tubetti or elbow macaroni
1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 ounce Parmesan, grated (2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced small
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cans (6 ounces each) solid light tuna packed in water, drained and flaked
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Mushrooms (optional)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta two minutes less than package instructions (it will be undercooked). Drain. In a small bowl, toss together panko, Parmesan, and 2 teaspoons oil.

In pot, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high. Add onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until softened, eight minutes. Add flour and whisk to coat onion with flour. Slowly whisk in broth, then milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce is thickened, about eight minutes. Stir in pasta, tuna, and peas and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer tuna mixture to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and top with panko mixture. Bake until sauce is bubbling and crust is golden for twenty minutes. Let cool for at least ten minutes before serving.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
This sounds good! Dang, I am out of Panko.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:49 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times
I have also substitiuted Plain non fat greek yogurt for the sour cream and my husband likes it better than the sour cream. This time I added bread crumbs on top before baking.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:09 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,068 times
What isle would I find Panko? I have never heard of it and cannot picture it in any food isles.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Where the bread crumbs are.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips4you2 View Post
What isle would I find Panko? I have never heard of it and cannot picture it in any food isles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Where the bread crumbs are.
In most of the supermarkets around here, they stock Panko with the Asian foods - where they stock the sriracha, soy sauces, teriyaki, soba noodles, tempura batter, wasabi, sesame oil, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes