Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 01:28 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,443,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
No problem at all. This recipe was given to me by a dear friend, Trudy Wilson, who, I suspect, got it from a magazine sometime around 1930-40.

CHOCOLATE MAYONNAISE CAKE
(Trudy Wilson)

2 c flour
1 c sugar
4 T cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 c mayonnaise
1 c water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all together very well and pour into greased 7"x11" cake pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes. Makes about 1 ½ dozen cupcakes. Bake for 15 minutes and test with toothpick.

You can also add ½ c sour cream for richer cake. I have also added an egg or two. Frosting is almost an afterthought, but is good as well. Or just dust it with confectioner's sugar.

How does the flavor/texture compare to a more traditional chocolate cake recipe? Is it about the same or is this cake more an entity unto itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:12 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,202,284 times
I've made a choc. cake twice using a similar recipe. First time it didn't bake long enough, total disaster. Second time I baked it longer and started checking every five minutes once the original time expired. I don't remember how much longer I baked it but I think it was closer to 15min longer than recomended. It turned out fairly well. Tasted like choc. cake. My son who eats mayonaise ate it and didn't even know it was in there til we told him. Make sure your knife or tester comes out clean from the center before you take it out of the oven.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,923,522 times
Default So easy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'd like to try that chocolate mayo cake recipe using sour cream, it sounds good. I don't cook with mixes.
attw3: It's just so easy to throw this together and soooo good when done.
Let me know how you like it?
I'm a scratch cooker/baker myself... always have been. At least I know what's going into the stuff I eat and serve my family (mostly.)
PS: Thanks again to all those who have given me points!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:00 PM

Default no diff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
How does the flavor/texture compare to a more traditional chocolate cake recipe? Is it about the same or is this cake more an entity unto itself?
It's the same as a box or even the usual homebaked cake, just more moist. You won't know the difference except for that.

O, I almost forgot: Sometimes I throw in a splash of Godiva Chocolate Liquor. Nirvana!
Extra chocolate is good too.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 PM

WOW! Off topic...
I clicked on the ad for weight loss at the beginning of this thread and an ad came up that downloaded onto my computer and hijacked my browser!!!!! I had to crash out of the system by using the Windows Task Manager!!!! Just a WARNING!!! Gee, I feel dumb.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:10 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,363,557 times
Mayo is made by setting egg yolk with either lemon juice or vinager then oil is blended but most commercial mayo is more oil than egg by far, I wouldn't think it would work well as a substitute.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Default Try it, you'll like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Mayo is made by setting egg yolk with either lemon juice or vinager then oil is blended but most commercial mayo is more oil than egg by far, I wouldn't think it would work well as a substitute.
RCM: Thanks for the info. I was too lazy to look it up myself!
I can see why that would sound a little strange, having mayo in a cake, but I can tell you seriously, it works and it's wonderful. Give it a try; I'm sure you will have a pleasant surprise!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:05 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,991,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Hey, y'all! Chocolate Mayonnaise cake is one of my all-time favorites! I have the recipe, too, if anyone is interested. It is my understanding that mayo is made from EGGS and OIL! So it would be the same thing. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
J
Not quite - mayo is made from egg yolks only, along with oil, vinegar, and spices. Egg whites have a leavening effect that you won't get from using just the yolks, so it won't be the same thing.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptowner View Post
Not quite - mayo is made from egg yolks only, along with oil, vinegar, and spices. Egg whites have a leavening effect that you won't get from using just the yolks, so it won't be the same thing.
Interesting info. As I said, I haven't looked it up. The point was that the cake would be just as good. That's all. I didn't mean it literally! Just thinking about chocolate anything!

Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
that sounds disgusting
you can use apple sauce instead of oil. nothing that i know of will take the place of the eggs.
It's not disgusting... think about what mayonnaise is, it's eggs and oil.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes