Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:16 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

Spam always means "camping" to us, and the spouse generally comes home with a can once a month or so just for old time's sake (we're way too old and creaky at this stage of our lives to sleep on the ground any more).

Our favorite way to fix it is to turn it into breakfast tacos, or what I've heard some folks call breakfast burritos. Dice up the spam into chunks no bigger than 1/2 inch on a side. Heat a cast-iron skillet and spray with pan spray. Dump the spam chunks in and get them nice and crispy on all sides (takes a few minutes, not too long). Once they're all crispy, pour in eggs beaten up with a bit of water, and stir around until the eggs are cooked. Serve inside warmed flour tortillas. Optional: can also cut up a partially cooked potato and brown those chunks along with the spam before adding the eggs; stretches the result in case you are feeding a teenage boy with a hollow leg.

Quantities above are not defined because they're generally different each time we cook it. For the two of us, I'd use half of a small can or a quarter to a third of a large can of spam with probably 3 eggs and 4 flour tortillas. If the fraternity boy were home from college (and actually out of bed before noon to join us for breakfast), we'd use the whole can and 6 or 8 eggs to 10 tortillas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:51 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
Talking Spam, spam, spam....

Oh, you must go to this link: Welcome to SPAM.com talk about a fun site.... it's fun....

Old 10-13-2008, 06:49 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
MBW, that sounds great! Southdown, I had never thought about breading it! Hmmmm, may have to go get some spam. I like it the tried and true way, sliced thin and pan fried, put on bread or toast, with or without egg, must have a slice of cheddar!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:04 PM

187 posts, read 623,474 times
dice it up and fry it in the skillet with onions, peppers and diced potatoes to make hash...serve with eggs. You can also put the hash in an oven safe bowl and crack the eggs over the top of the hash and bake in the oven. Very yummy.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,574,744 times
We had Spam this evening...fried in butter with a little brown sugar sprinkled over it on toast with a sunny side up egg!!! I had forgotten to take anything out of the freezer earlier..

Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,007 times
That sure sounds good. Butter and brown sugar with the saltiness of Spam..I've gotta try that combination.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:47 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
dice it up and fry it in the skillet with onions, peppers and diced potatoes to make hash...serve with eggs. You can also put the hash in an oven safe bowl and crack the eggs over the top of the hash and bake in the oven. Very yummy.
Sounds real good!

Old 10-14-2008, 11:30 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
We use to have Fried Spam and Fried Potatoes. Slice the Spam into slices and fry in the pan. Cut up some potatoes into bite sized chunks and fry those. Serve with Ketchup. I could NOT eat Spam w/o Ketchup.

Hubby used to cut it up into small squares and put it in his Mac n Cheese (EWWW to me).

I LOVE fried Spam as a kid and yet my kids have never had it.

Oh, at the Texas State Fair they have Fried Spam except it is battered and THEN fried. Have not tried it. probably won't either.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
My favorite thing to do with SPAM:

Get a cookie sheet/jelly roll pan. Line it with foil, creating three "sections" by crimping the foil.

Slice SPAM into 1/4" slices and spread with Deviled Ham. Lay out in first section.

In second section, dump a can of Hominy. Top with pats of butter, salt, and paprika.

In third section, lay out some canned peach halves. Sprinkle brown sugar in each half.

Stick it all under the broiler until hot. It doesn't take very long, you do need to watch the deviled ham on the SPAM.

Remove from heat, and be sure when you eat it that you spear a bit of each on your fork before cramming it all in your mouth.

It truly is delicious. I kid you not.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 AM

58 posts, read 193,182 times
Wow, and I thought Spam was a think of the past. Now I've gotta go get some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes