Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,544,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
Spam is a favorite of people living in Hawaii! I think I read that Hawaii consumes more Spam than any other state!

My daughter-in-law who is Vietnamese-American and grew up in Hawaii cubes it up and puts it into fried rice! I never would touch it until I ate her rice. Fabulous!
I knew a gal from Hawaii who did the same thing, and YES, it was awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 06:50 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,586 times
I like Spam, but I certainly understand where peoples dislike can come from, if it isn't prepared right, it has the consistency and taste I'd liken to dog food. I have a couple of ways I like to prepare it.

Spamwichs(4):

1 can of Spam
1 can shredded pineapple
4 cheese slices
4 hamburger buns or equivalent size rolls
1 jalapeno pepper

get the Spam out of the can in 1 piece, cut it so you have 4 thin square slices. Soak the Spam slices in the pineapple juice from the can. Chop the jalepeno into small pieces, remove the seeds if you can't take the heat. Place the Jalapeno and shredded pineapple in a small sauce pan and cook over a medium heat. Get a fry pan nice and hot, medium/high temp, pat the excess pineapple juice off of the spam and put them in the pan, cook for a minute per side, you want to try and flip the spam just as the outside is getting a few burn marks. Spam, cheese, pineapple relish, bun, maybe a little mayo and MMMMMM!

I also like to cut it up really thin(julianne, I think it's called) and fry it with some string beans in a bit of teriyaki sauce and serve over white rice.

Spambalya, I love to cut it small, fry it with an onion and add it to a box of prepackaged jambalya.

It mixes great with the yolk in deviled eggs.

Spam musubi is good too, but I've never made it myself.

Last edited by ecvMatt; 09-18-2009 at 07:46 PM..

Old 09-20-2009, 05:56 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,222,319 times
I make a macaroni salad that my kids beg me for and I dice up spam and cube up velveeta cheese and toss them in. Add chopped green onions, a little green or red pepper mix with mayo and a little squirt of mustard, it is really good.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:41 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I stir fry spam chunks with bell pepper, onions, green beans, eggplant and pineapple. For flavoring I add sesame oil and low sodium soy sauce. The spam is salty enough.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:34 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Just want to keep this SPAM thread alive since it's one of my favorite foods:

- Spam fried rice with onion, garlic, and green onions garnish
- Spam breakfast sandwich with fried eggs
- Spam over rice with fried eggs for breakfast (kimchee on the side)
- Spam sandwich (Vietnamese style): lightly toasted bread, Spam slices, cucumber slices, thinly sliced onion, muenster or other soft cheese, cilantro, and optional jalapeno slices.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I fried up spam until crisp and added it to split pea soup. Hubby said it was good but likes the bacon in it better.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 832,822 times
Once you have established that Spam is good stuff. Try the Bacon Spam. We love Spam sliced somewhat thin, fried crispy with biscuits or english muffins with egg & a slice of cheese for breakfast. For a light lunch we do Spam slices with cheese & fruit.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:47 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Spam Aloha! Cube the Spam and dust it all over with brown sugar. If you like it you can also add soy sauce. m bake in the over according to the directions on the can and serve over rice with pineapple. You might also want to bake the pineapple with the Spam, also dusted with brown sugar.

A friend of mine from Puerto Rico, who treats Spam as if it were pheasant under glass, makes Spam-and-olive finger sandwiches for state occasions, but I don't know the recipe exactly.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,797,116 times
We love SPAM, but buy the "lite" as it does have less fat and sodium. As has been stated already, we like it cut in thin strips and pan fried. Makes a yummy sandwich on either toasted or untoasted bread. I also like to chop it up into small pieces and put in a pasta salad...it turns a pasta salad into a meal. Granted, it isn't something we make every day, but once a month or so it sure hits the spot!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM

26 posts, read 15,567 times
When I visited Hawaii around '95, I had a Spam t-shirt as kind of a joke. My Hawaiian cousin told me it was really cool. I looked for a laugh on her face, but she was serious

Spam is great when you're starved. Nothing has more calories, except maybe pure lard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes