Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
you had me til the cake mix
I would replace the cake mix with rolled oats. But I'm willing to try the cake mix, just to see. Might be especially good for an office party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:34 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
I have a memorial service to attend with reception after. I think I'll bring a dish of this. Thanks.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:43 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
I did a test run kind of combining the origanal poster's recipe with the alternative one as well using 9 apples - 3 granny smith, 3 delicious, 3 macs and 2 cans of the pie/filling, one yellow cake mix, and 1 white cake mix,(those are the mixes I already had on hand)2 cups of brown sugar 1 stick of butter melted and 4 tsp cinnamin. I doubled the topping part to make it thicker.
It made 2 - 8" x 8" and 3- 8" x4" pans. I kept one 8 x 8, gave one 8 x 8 to dad, and one of each of the small pans to neighbors who are all retired and love desserts.
Everyone loved them.
I had 2 things I'll tweek next time. 1) the topping I found a bit too sweet. Next time I'll reduce the brown sugar by one third, and use only white cake mix.
2) I'll reduce the oven temp to 325 and cook for 1 hour. The apples were still alittle underdone as I think I make the apple quantity alittle deeper than 2 - 9" x 13" pans would have made. The topping browned nicely and to cook it longer this time would have burned the topping.
I delivered them while it was still hot and 2 of the neighbors returned the pans already, still licking their lips.

Easy, peasy and a croud pleaser. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes