U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM

16,224 posts, read 23,258,929 times

Advertisements

I have tried 3 diffrent recipes to make a dressing...they all 3 flopped!
The next time my husband ask for dressing, I bought him stove top.
I am making the Thanksgiving dinner here this year, and someone has already requested dressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 01:55 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,069,992 times
I'm partial and love mine so does my whole family.

First I take the neck/gizzrds,etc into a pot, cover w/water and add 1 onion in quarters, couple celery stalks, salt/pepper, chopped sage leaf and simmer for at least an hour.

I use Jimmy Dean sage sausage and brown that in butter, add chopped celery, onions and cook til they're softened. Put bread cubes (I buy a bag from the bakery area) in a large bowl, add sausage/cel/onion mix, ladle in the broth from the pot, some white wine-and mix to wetness you want. Put in large casserole and bake. Also have seen dried cranberries added and wanted to try it but hubby wants only what I've made for 40+years.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:26 PM

I appreciate this. Thank you.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:29 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,069,992 times
You're very welcome and if you make it I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
You're very welcome and if you make it I hope your family enjoys it as much as we do.
I`m sure that we will. I will let you know how it goes over with everyone.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM

718 posts, read 2,191,907 times
I make a very simple cornbread dressing which is next to impossible to screw up!

I make a large pan on cornbread the night before Thanksgiving. We don't use the turkey insides because I don't like them. I make my own breadcrumbs in the food processor (mom always like using stale biscuits). I crumble up the cornbread and mix in breadcrumbs (maybe a cup or a little more). I finely chop my onion and add to the mix. Add rubbed sage and salt and pepper and 2 eggs. Then mix in the stock until you get the desired wetness (I usually add a little more to keep it more moist). I spread it in the pan I bakes the cornbread in and pop it in the oven at 350 until it is nice and brown. The corner pieces are always my favorite!

Old 11-09-2008, 09:21 PM

424 posts, read 1,541,327 times
I'm pretty much with statefan on this. I usually make cornbread a few days before needed or save any leftovers that I might be making during the same time frame. Leftover/stale biscuits, and light bread are good to use with it, but not too much of those. I usually sauté some onions and celery plus celery tops...mix that in with the broken up breads...add some raw eggs, black pepper, a bit of salt, sage (if you like that), some thyme, and maybe a bit of powdered bay leaf...but those last few seasonings are optional. I am a big proponent of celery and onion in dressing. Add a fair amount of chicken (turkey) broth/stock so you have a rather wet mixture...not quite soupy though...put it in a greased cast iron skillet that you have preheated (this well generate a crispy crust on the edges)...and cook in the oven until it is done...firm, but not dried out. It is very much like making cornbread...from the texture of the batter...to the level of doneness. Sorry for being so vague...it is a seat of the pants thing.

I also have some recipes for other types of dressing (sausage and cornbread, oyster, chestnut, apple, etc.), but they are not as traditional in The South.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:31 AM

3,952 posts, read 6,345,971 times
Frankly, I have used stove top for the last couple of year and nobody knows the difference. I doctor it up with more seasoning and maybe put in a few handfuls of my own bread cubes. I don't put it in the bird but I put it in a baking dish.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM

3,724 posts, read 8,484,067 times
I make mine pretty much the way my gran did. Simmer the neck and giblets with chopped celery and onion until the meat falls off the bones, remove the neck and get as much of the meat off as possible. Use a slotted spoon to get all the onions and celery out. Takes about a loaf of stale bread, torn or cut into smaller pieces, half a dozen eggs, salt, pepper, sage, the celery and onions, all mixed by hand into the bread. Either mince the giblets and add to the stuffing, save them for gravy, or include them in the final stuffing of the bird. I love the heart and gizzard, so I usually chopped up the liver and kept the rest separate. Add a bit of the stock and keep mixing it by hand, adding more stock as needed until everything is well moistened, then stuff the bird. There’s usually enough left to fill a loaf pan as well. Sometimes I add chopped oysters or pecans or walnuts or raisins during the mixing. Sometimes I use more eggs, depends on how big they are [or if I happen to have some chickens laying]. It’s always good. And mixing it by hand is a good way to relieve some stress, it was usually rather stressful having a toddler and a pre-schooler helping me!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:07 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,628,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Frankly, I have used stove top for the last couple of year and nobody knows the difference. I doctor it up with more seasoning and maybe put in a few handfuls of my own bread cubes. I don't put it in the bird but I put it in a baking dish.

I would know the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or