U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,689,473 times

Advertisements

I haven't had Swiss steak in about 100 years! Does anyone have a good, easy recipe? And what cut of meat do you use, too?

Thanks - can't wait to see what you folks come up with. It's always so good here!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 03:06 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,238,631 times
NMS I googled as it' s something I'm craving also.

Use round steak, 1" thick. flour it salt/pepper, brown in oil. Add onions sliced, garlic, peppers if you want and lg can of tomatoes. Cover tightly and cook on low 1 1/2-2 hrs.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:19 PM

Gee,that sounds difficult!

Say, how'd I know you'd be one of the first to respond??

Old 11-14-2008, 03:38 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,238,631 times
'Cause we're so connected? 'Cause my life is dull? Multiple choice friend.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:51 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,107,637 times
The best swiss steak recipe that I have ever used is Alton Brown's. He says that you have to use a needling device to tenderize the meat, but you can use a regular meat tenderizer too. And, I like the fact that the recipe doesn't call for bell peppers. Meat comes out very tender.

Swiss Steak Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Old 11-15-2008, 03:53 PM

Thanks, PL. Ya gotta love Alton, and anything with bacon....what can i say?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:36 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,693,352 times
Default Swiss Steak Questions

So, my dear husband has requested Swiss Steak which I've never eaten nor attempted to cook. I've done a lot of reading and recipe searching and I've narrowed it down to two recipes that look essentially the same with one exception, the cut of meat. Alton Brown's recipe calls for beef bottom round and Taste of Home's recipe calls for beef top round. Is there a difference? Additionally, some of the recipes I read use cubed steak which I assume is one or both of the previous cuts that's been tenderized. That would save a step though pounding sounds like something I could really get into - LOL!

Below are links to the two subject recipes. I don't know which is the better of the two but the differences are few IMO. I would appreciate your input and advice on what's what before I expend time and $$ on a new dish that we might not like.

Swiss Steak Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

Old-Fashioned Swiss Steak Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

I'd also appreciate knowing whether you think buttered noodles, potatoes, or rice is the best starch to accompany the dish.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM

40,924 posts, read 50,659,149 times
I use round steak, top, bottom, doesn't matter. No pounding is necessary. I do not use cube steak. It is pounded to tenderness and does not need to be cooked a long time. It would disintegrate.
So you take some round steak which is about a half inch thick, and cut it into serving sizes. You can dredge it in flour salt and pepper and brown it, but, if you're feeling lazy and don't want to mess up a frying pan, you can skip this step.
Place it into a casserole dish with whatever liquid you want. I would use a can of diced tomatoes, and maybe a can of mushroom soup, or some beef broth. You can add some onions or gr pepper.....whatever you feel like. The point is to have a bunch of liquid and cover it and cook it for 2 hours at about 300. You could cook it at lower temp if you wanted to leave the house and wanted it to take longer. Like 200-250 for 3 hours. The timing depends on your oven, but once it's very tender, you can thicken the liquid with flour if you want and adjust the seasonings.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM

3,928 posts, read 10,693,352 times
Thank you, gentlearts. You made this less stressful. I tend to over analyse. I like cooking and my husband says I'm a good cook, but it doesn't come natural to me. I start anything new with a recipe, make it exactly like it says, and if we like it, I'll add it to our rotation and then make changes for our tastes.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:44 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,966,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
So, my dear husband has requested Swiss Steak which I've never eaten nor attempted to cook. I've done a lot of reading and recipe searching and I've narrowed it down to two recipes that look essentially the same with one exception, the cut of meat. Alton Brown's recipe calls for beef bottom round and Taste of Home's recipe calls for beef top round. Is there a difference? Additionally, some of the recipes I read use cubed steak which I assume is one or both of the previous cuts that's been tenderized. That would save a step though pounding sounds like something I could really get into - LOL!

Below are links to the two subject recipes. I don't know which is the better of the two but the differences are few IMO. I would appreciate your input and advice on what's what before I expend time and $$ on a new dish that we might not like.

Swiss Steak Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

Old-Fashioned Swiss Steak Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

I'd also appreciate knowing whether you think buttered noodles, potatoes, or rice is the best starch to accompany the dish.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
I am sending you a copy of the recipe (also from Taste of Home - my favorite cooking site) that I have been using for several years. It is easy, delicious, and will become a favorite of yours too. Here it is:

So-Tender Swiss Steak Recipe

So-Tender Swiss Steak Recipe photo by Taste of Home So-Tender Swiss Steak Recipe Read reviews (8)
Rate recipe
This fork-tender Swiss steak with rich gravy was an often-requested main dish around our house when I was growing up. Mom took pride in preparing scrumptious, hearty meals like this for our family and guests. -Linda McGinty, Parma, Ohio

So-Tender Swiss Steak Recipe
  • Prep: 30 min. Bake: 2 hours
  • Yield: 8 Servings
30 120 150 Ingredients

• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • GRAVY:
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1-1/4 cups beef broth or water
  • Hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes, optional
Directions

• In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, salt and pepper. Add steak, a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.
  • In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown steak in oil on both sides. Arrange onion slices between layers of meat. Add water and Worcestershire sauce.
  • Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
  • In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and broth until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve steak and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1 serving (1 each) equals 213 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 424 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.

MY NOTES: I make this "at least" 2x a month and we both love it. I usually buy round steak - at least 2 pounds, but closer to 3 is good too. You can buy a thick cut steak for swissing, but I have found that to be too expensive for my budget. Remember that if you use this recipe, you will be cooking the meat for a long time at a low temperature, so a not so lean cut will still cook up and be tender. I use one onion, cut into rings and distributed around and under the meat - make sure to brown the meat on top of the stove before you put it in the oven. I use a large size covered casserole dish and it works out great. I generally add 4 tablespoons of the Worcestershire sauce because we like it. Usually I make mashed potatoes with this (on the first night), and on the leftover night - a couple of nights later, I do egg noodles. Personally, I like the noodles better, but hubby prefers the mashed potatoes. Add salad and/or veggies, rolls, and you are done. It is delicious, reheats well, and is very forgiving. If you need to leave it in the oven for longer than 2 or 2.5 hours, it holds well. I have never had this recipe fail me. In my own opinion - I don't think cubed steaks would be a good choice for this - but I have never tried it. Happy eating!!!!

Last edited by CFoulke; 07-06-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: forgot something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or