Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

I just love fish and know it's healthier than red meat, so I'm trying to prepare more of it for the family. I bought a package of Dover Sole fillets, and have no idea what to make from them! Preparing seafood is not as easy as eating it; I have over-cooked fish before and as we all know the results are pretty unappetizing.

So does anyone have any tried and tested recipes for this? I hope someone out there in CD cooking land can give me an idea before the end of the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 11:36 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,841,918 times
Sole is very mild and very fragile. I would make them oreganta maybe by mixing bread crumbs with parsley,oregano, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil-mix to dampen. Put good portion on top of seasoned filets and bake no more than 10 min.

Also you could dust them with flour and pan saute for 3 min a side.

Last edited by LaceyEx; 11-19-2008 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 11:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,917,755 times
Soles are best served with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 AM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,041 times
I just do mine real simple, almost similar to Lacey's:

Dip the filets in milk then into crushed Ritz crackers. Melt about 2-3 tbsp of butter and drizzle on top, little s&p and bake for about 20 min at 350.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,042 times
Sufficated Sole

fillets of sole, 2 per person (works with flounder too)
1 stick of butter
4 med. onions sliced thin
1 small bunch parsley chopped (can substitute flakes)
2 bay leaves
whole cloves
salt and pepper

Place dutch oven on stove and melt 4 tablespoons butter over med. heat. Add 1/2 of the onion slices and half of the parsley, salt and pepper. Saute about 5min. Place fish over onions and top with remaining onions. Slice remaining butter into cubes. Scatter over fish. Add bay leaves and 2 cloves per piece of fish.

Bake 325 degrees for 25 min. DO NOT OPEN THE LID while cooking the first 25 min. Check for doneness, cook another 10 to 15 until the fish is flaky and opaque.

So good.

Another way I cook flounder/sole

Cup of white wine
Tablespoon each, rosemary, thyme, parsley
fish
butter

Place fish fillets in pan, dot with butter, spread herbs over top, pour wine around edges of pan.

Bake 350 degrees for about 15min or until fish flakes and is done.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:58 PM

thanks so much for the good tips - I'll let you all know how it turns out!

Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 AM

I put a couple handfuls of Ritz crackers in a ziploc bag with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and used a rolling pin to crush. I buttered a corningware dish, sprinkled some of the crumbs into it, took the pieces of fish and rolled them around in the crumbs to coat, and sprinkled the remaining crumbs on top. Dotted with butter and baked for about 25 minutes. This was probably the tastiest way I have prepared this kind of fish ever!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I will work my way through these recipes as sole comes up again in our meal rotation.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,841,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I put a couple handfuls of Ritz crackers in a ziploc bag with garlic powder, salt, and pepper and used a rolling pin to crush. I buttered a corningware dish, sprinkled some of the crumbs into it, took the pieces of fish and rolled them around in the crumbs to coat, and sprinkled the remaining crumbs on top. Dotted with butter and baked for about 25 minutes. This was probably the tastiest way I have prepared this kind of fish ever!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions - I will work my way through these recipes as sole comes up again in our meal rotation.
Now that's a keeper. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:28 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Sole is very mild and very fragile. I would make them oreganta maybe by mixing bread crumbs with parsley,oregano, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil-mix to dampen. Put good portion on top of seasoned filets and bake no more than 10 min.

Also you could dust them with flour and pan saute for 3 min a side.
LaceyEx hits another one outta the park! It's getting to be almost commonplace for you here - keep it up. You're one of my favorite posters on this board for a reason.

I think sole filets are also very nice broiled with some butter, lemon and and topped with breadcrumbs. If you go that route, beware of herbs; they're likely to burn under the high broiler heat, and you really don't need anything, it's such a delicate flavored fish.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Now that's a keeper. Thanks.
I'll be using your oreganata recipe next - I love fish with lemon, and I didn't even realize the one I made dipped in the cracker crumbs was missing it. One other thing: I sprinkled the filets very lightly with celery salt before rolling in the crumb mixture. I love celery salt in most anything savory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes