Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 11:37 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,295 times

Advertisements

I got a few requests for the recipe for this in the "What's for dinner?" thread, so I'm posting it here. This is not new; it's been circulating in the blogosphere/cooking sites for quite awhile, so I was surprised at how many of you hadn't heard of it.

This is a VERY easy recipe, very forgiving too that produces a nice bread. It's not the greatest bread you'll ever taste; but if you like artisian style, fresh baked crusty breads - the results to effort ratio is excellent. You can put this together in 6 minutes before you go to bed, and have an excellent treat for dinner the next day.

There is a very nice video here that hits most of the basics, but a few steps have been edited, and I've found some helpful tips just through experience.

I would add the following advice to this video:
1. You see where he brings the dough together and then says "Done" after like 3 seconds? This bread is easy, but not THAT easy. You want to bring everything together. You don't have to knead it, you don't even have to get your hands dirty (I use a silicone spatula) but the next shot after that is a closeup of the dough - that's what it should look like, and you can tell there is some 'missing' footage between those shots.

2. The dough is forgiving. I think in the video he uses 2 cups of water for 3 cups of flower with a big dash of salt and a 1/4 tsp yeast. I use more yeast, but I just eyeball everything. This bread picks up some flavor from a slow ferment. The video I think says 12 hours? Too confusing for me - and with this, the longer it ferments, the better the flavor. I start putting this dough together after dinner the night before - then I clean up the kitchen mess... that's usually about 6 PM. I put it in the fridge overnight with plastic wrap before I go to bed around 11 ,then have my wife take it out around 3 PM the next day. That way it's back to room temp when I get home from work - so about 20 hours I guess?

3. In the video, after he dumps it on the counter, flattens and folds it - then it looks like it's right to the oven. Don't do that. Let it sit another 15 minutes before it goes into the oven. He flips his when it goes in the oven so the 'seam' is up. I prefer to take a knife and make slits in the top, 3 each way like # and keep that side up.

4. I use bread flower. AP works, but bread flour is better. Not sure where to get some? Anything in the grocery store that says bread flour, high protein, "better for bread" or for bread machines will do.

5. Oops! Forgot this one....He's got his oven at 500. I use 440, but same times - 30 covered, 15 uncovered. 500 was giving me some black bottomed bread.

So that's it. This is one I made with some leftover tomato paste added to the dough with some rosemary.

http://home.nc.rr.com/bad_mojo/bread_s.jpg (broken link)

Good luck with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:58 AM

849 posts, read 1,952,042 times
Here is the one I just made. It was so easy and good. This one has a nice video. I liked this one because the beer and vinegar gave it more of a sour dough flavor.

Almost No-Knead Bread - Cooks Illustrated

And this is the original one. This is the one I usually make.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...=1&oref=slogin

Just as arsbadmojo said this is a very easy bread to make and always turn out great. I don't own a cast iron dutch oven, but I have a very heavy restaurant kitchen quality pan ( I got it over 20 years ago when I was workig in a restaurant.) and it works just fine for me.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,286 times
Do you have any suggestions on making this at 7000 feet altitude? Some baking is different, and I wonder how this would work.
Thanks

Old 11-22-2008, 04:22 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilegal View Post
Do you have any suggestions on making this at 7000 feet altitude? Some baking is different, and I wonder how this would work.
Thanks
Sorry, I have no idea. As I've mentioned though, this isn't a precision technique, and nothing in it is expensive - play around until you get it right.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:59 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Sorry, I have no idea. As I've mentioned though, this isn't a precision technique, and nothing in it is expensive - play around until you get it right.
Thanks, I will do just that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes