Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:40 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I found big blocks of white and chocolate almond bark at Target yesterday, for $1.99 each - can't beat that with a stick! We'll be using some of it to make dipped pretzel sticks for the holidays.
You got a bargain I just paid $3.45 for 12 oz melting chocolate discs per bag!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:31 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,933,808 times
Can you use melted white chocolate chips instead???

Old 12-23-2008, 06:49 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,330,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Can you use melted white chocolate chips instead???
You can, but the chips seem to harden much quicker - making it hard to dip the last oreo balls.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
You got a bargain I just paid $3.45 for 12 oz melting chocolate discs per bag!
You're tellin' me! Each package has 1 and 1/4 lbs! Check out your local Target - I think this may be a seasonal thing. I got two bricks of white and one of chocolate.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:01 PM

48 posts, read 158,689 times
I just made these today - they are FANTASTIC!! My DH will FLIP over them. Thank you for posting the recipe!

I couldn't find vanilla bark anywhere (and couldn't use almond bark due to allergies) so I used Wilton Candy Melts (vanilla flavor). For those who are having trouble finding the bark, the Wilton Melts can be found at any Michael's store and even Party City. Check the baking/cake decorating aisles.

Thanks again & have a lovely holiday!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:43 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,217,720 times
I didn't have any problems finding the white or the brown chocolate bark in any of our grocery stores, and this is little 'ol backwoods Wyoming! Everyone loved the Oreo balls. I dipped mine in chocolate this time. Thanks for the lead to this recipe!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:56 AM

3,087 posts, read 1,075,856 times
I finally made them and they were a hit at two different places. The only thing I need to work on is the white bark melting. Maybe a double boiler would help, but the chocolate started to harden up before I was done. Was pretty messy towards the end, although they turned out ok. I thought that after the white bark hardened it could be melted, to use again, but that was not the case. I will make them again, hopefully my melting will be better. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,179,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eyedjack View Post
I finally made them and they were a hit at two different places. The only thing I need to work on is the white bark melting. Maybe a double boiler would help, but the chocolate started to harden up before I was done. Was pretty messy towards the end, although they turned out ok. I thought that after the white bark hardened it could be melted, to use again, but that was not the case. I will make them again, hopefully my melting will be better. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
You should be able to re-melt the chocolate. If using a double boilier do not boil the water this will be too hot and make your chocolate harden. If using a microwave be sure to do it using half power for only 20-30 seconds at a time. Take it out and stir the chocolate around then put it back in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds as needed. If your chocolate won't re-melt then that means usually you got it too hot the first time.

I also wrap a clean towel around the bowl to keep the heat in that seems to help some a bit.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,330,751 times
I am so glad I started this thread It has been amazing to watch the responses to this very simple recipe!

I will say this - for Christmas I received the very fancy Food Network Food Processor - which will make crushing my oreo's a breeze now. I also received a Kitchen Aid Artisan series stand mixer - which will make mixing so much easier. So, I got about $400 in kitchen equipment to make my $5.00 oreo balls lol! Anyway, I think I will be posting alot more since the family expects me to cook now!

Happy Holidays!
Stacy

Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 PM

882 posts, read 3,536,738 times
Made these tonight... No food processor so I used the ziplock bag/rolling pin method. The toughest part was mixing the cream cheese and crushed Oreos. I kept kneading it until it all began to stick together and it seemed to get better after that point.

I also tried, notice I said TRIED, to use CandiQuik... That stuff blows.... Ran over to Michaels, picked up vanilla flavored white chocolate chips, melted them in the fondue pot and VOILA.. problem solved.

While I had the chocolate metled, I dipped some pretzel sticks as well. We enjoyed a few of them before retiring them to the fridge for the night.

Thanks for the idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes