Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 11:14 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,859,061 times

Advertisements

Have "TWO" ways to make DUMPLINGS

A...2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 -1 cup WATER (no milk)

Mix the egg,salt and water together in a bowl ...add the flour using a spoon to make a soft dough (little tacky).
Heat a large pot of water to boil point...add the salt.
Bring the dough to edge of bowl and with a knife slice off the dough into small slivers/chunks into the boiling water
When the dough rises to the surface they are done and place into a collander (strainer) to drain.
You can add directly into the pot of cooked chicken using the chicken broth as a flavor for the dumplings.
It is possible to use sour cream...thats another story.

B...3 cups of Flour
3 eggs
1/2 cup of COLD water
1 tsp salt
2 tblspns of cooking oil or melted butter

Mix eggs,salt,cold water and oil or butter...blend well
Add flour gradually while mixing mixture
Add extra water if needed to have mixture a little tacky and not dry looking
Allow to stand approx.30 mins
Fill large pot of water to boil...add salt...bring batter to edge of pot and using a knife cut off slivers or small chunks into the water...which will rise to the surface when they are done.
Skim off the surface into a strainer for water to drain off
The dumplings can then be added to what ever you have...be it chicken or beef stew for that matter

These two I showed are similiar to Dumpling recipes on the Internet

I saw my mother do these variations many times while growing up as she was from Hungary and learned to do them from her mother.

Sometimes with and times without sour cream. Steve

Just dawned on me...should have been on the recipe thread..Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,469,465 times
I think chicken and dumplings is one of those dishes that cooks will debate forever. It's kind of like the chili debate, beans or no beans; the gumbo debate, okra or no okra; and the roast debate, oven or crock pot.

I make my c&d's from scratch but could not begin to tell you how much flour, etc. that I use. I also roll my dough with my trusty little make-shift rolling pin (a wine bottle ). That's just the way that works out best for me. I have never been able to make drop dumplings of any kind (biscuits, bisquick, etc.) come out right, but obviously a lot of people can. I'll always be a roller when it comes to chicken and dumplings, just like my mother did!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,600,322 times
I know this is an older post, but I just made my chicken and dumplings yesterday so I thought I'd chime in.

I like the southern style dumplings which are rolled thin and puff up in the soup to be a little thicker than pasta but not big doughy balls like the other style. They are similar to the Cracker Barrel type dumplings, but they cut their dough into larger pieces. I only use about 2/3 of the final dough because my husband doesn't like dumplings so much and the whole amount will produce a lot of dumplings.

1 C flour
1-1/2 Tbl cold butter, cubed
3/8 tsp salt
pinch of baking powder
milk ( a few Tbls), as needed

Mix the dry ingredients, cut in the butter with a fork until it's crumbly. Add the milk a little at a time until it comes together in a soft dough, not too sticky but not really firm either. Knead it until smooth, no longer. Let it rest for 1/2 hour. Roll out on lightly floured surface until about 1/8" thick. Cut into 1/2" squares and drop into the soup. They need to simmer in the soup for about 20 minutes, or until tender with no raw flour taste.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,318,633 times
Thanks!

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 AM

12,014 posts, read 11,249,380 times
Tilli - sounds good!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 PM

440 posts, read 1,687,561 times
My Mother made her dumplings with bisquick.. also added alittle yellow food coloring to them to make them more appealing looking...

Old 05-23-2009, 10:42 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,337,819 times
Default a holy "roller!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I think chicken and dumplings is one of those dishes that cooks will debate forever. It's kind of like the chili debate, beans or no beans; the gumbo debate, okra or no okra; and the roast debate, oven or crock pot.

I make my c&d's from scratch but could not begin to tell you how much flour, etc. that I use. I also roll my dough with my trusty little make-shift rolling pin (a wine bottle ). That's just the way that works out best for me. I have never been able to make drop dumplings of any kind (biscuits, bisquick, etc.) come out right, but obviously a lot of people can. I'll always be a roller when it comes to chicken and dumplings, just like my mother did!
then you must be a holy "roller!" great! do you use chicken fat to work up your dough? i do when i substitute butter. i sometimes add an egg or two for yellow dumplings and a little fresh thyme and tarragon for a fancy savory dumpling.

Old 05-23-2009, 11:00 AM

1,192 posts, read 2,469,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
then you must be a holy "roller!" great! do you use chicken fat to work up your dough? i do when i substitute butter. i sometimes add an egg or two for yellow dumplings and a little fresh thyme and tarragon for a fancy savory dumpling.
Most of the time I use Crisco for the dumplings and put a little butter in the broth before I put in the dumplings. I tell myself that the butter keeps the dumplings from sticking together . I like the thyme/tarragon idea.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,148,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
News Update!!! DO NOT USE BISQUICK FOR DUMPLINGS!!!!!!!! Yech, ick, they never set! It was awful
My mom uses bisquick and they are wonderful. She removes the meat from the chicken and places the carcass back in the pot. Plops the dumpling mix over them and covers to cook. They aren't gummy at all, but I can see how that could happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes