Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:14 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times

Advertisements

A very dear friend gave me her mother's recipe for dumplings (which I absolutely ate up every time she made them). So I tried them last night - the chicken 'soup' part was fantastic. The dumplings were just ok.... what did I do wrong?

The recipe was 2 cups flour, 1 t salt, 1/2 cup milk and 2 T oil (milk and oil mixed together). Mix and shape, then drop into broth for 20 min. Sounds simple, right?? Well I added a few more T of milk so it was just a little moister. I started shaping them, and didnt like that. So I rolled them out and cut into squares.

To me they were too thick (easy to fix) but they were also a little tough. Any thoughts on what I did wrong??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 08:24 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Stacy-I do these
2 c flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg beaten
2T butter melted
3/4 to 1 c milk
Combine dry ingredients. Stir in egg, butter,milkt to make a stiff moist batter.
Drop by tsp in hot mix
Cover 20 min-do not open lid!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Lacey - I like the flat, kinda doughy dumplings (not the biscuit type). Like the kind you get at Cracker Barrel....
Which one is yours?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Puffy ones Stacy.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:48 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
Hello stacylee...could give you my mothers original Potato Dumplings recipe from Hungary but it would be in a abbreviated form.
You can get more info from "Cooks.COM".
Type in the "Recipe Search" bar for "Potato Dumplings" and you will get all kinds of ethnic recipes.
Basically all recipes are "Original" being used in different parts of the country.
My mother NEVER made flour dumplings...always the potato kind with her sour cream chicken.
If possible...use IMPORTED Hungarian SWEET pepper for color and taste.(Buy from "OTTOS IMPORT STORE & DELI"...Burbank Calif.) Otto's Hungarian Import Store and* Deli
Anyway, google up the info and enjoy.
Steve

Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
She's been very specific as to what she wants; the flat flour kind.

The last time I made chicken and dumplings I used frozen ones, but I had a good reason.

I hadn't ever made the flat kind before. Where I grew up, we had drop dumplings. So lacking experience, I wanted to see how they were supposed to look before being cooked. I used these (http://www.annesdumplings.com/dumplings.html - broken link).

It was quite a few months ago, but I'm 99% sure the ingredients were just water, flour and salt. To get them as thin as they need to be I'm pretty sure you'd need a pasta roller. I mean, they'd be easy enough to roll that thin, but getting them off the rolling surface would be a neat trick.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
She's been very specific as to what she wants; the flat flour kind.

The last time I made chicken and dumplings I used frozen ones, but I had a good reason.

I hadn't ever made the flat kind before. Where I grew up, we had drop dumplings. So lacking experience, I wanted to see how they were supposed to look before being cooked. I used these (http://www.annesdumplings.com/dumplings.html - broken link).

It was quite a few months ago, but I'm 99% sure the ingredients were just water, flour and salt. To get them as thin as they need to be I'm pretty sure you'd need a pasta roller. I mean, they'd be easy enough to roll that thin, but getting them off the rolling surface would be a neat trick.
I HAVE seen those in the grocery store, just never tried them. If they are good I may try them next time to see how the family likes them. Thanks!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:49 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
I HAVE seen those in the grocery store, just never tried them. If they are good I may try them next time to see how the family likes them. Thanks!
Sure. They're exactly what you're looking for. If you do get them, if you don't mind - check out the ingredients and make sure I'm right about there being no milk or eggs in them. I want to take a stab at making them. My pasta machine recently broke, but I'm getting a new one for Christmas.

The only thing I don't like about them is that the dish doesn't freeze well. The flour just keeps absorbing liquid, so if you like a lot of dumplings, you end up with something like chicken lasagna once it thaws - but it sure is good fresh.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:54 PM

285 posts, read 616,243 times
If you like thin, flat dumplings try using flour tortillas cut into pieces. Great for flavor and thickening broth. I cut them into 6 triangles, drop a few in at a time so they don't stick together. This was one of the kids favs growing up.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,858 times
Stacylee, the more you work any dough, the tougher it will become.

Suggest you mix just enough, then roll out using as few rolls as possible to desired thickness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes